Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Bit more work on that map. Say about 4 hours for this hallway. Approaching 1500 lines for just these two areas ;) And yeah the area beyond the green pillars in the third shot is just layout, no real work. And then I can begin the outside and the tower ... heheheh.

Looks great, Dutch and AB!

ArmouredBlood, personally I'd think about maybe splitting up that big long ceiling skylight into a more unique shape, maybe made up of three or more smaller skylights. Or not, just a thought.

Good idea, I was thinking it looked a bit plain but I just moved on. The sky is pretty high up though so probably nothing substantial ... hmm, some horizontal 'stained glass windows' might be in order, heh.

I also just tried the map in prboom and the midtexture fences on the hell bits are messed up, simply aligning to the top 128 units of height, no matter how I unpeg them. The ones in the wood/red cross window things also are messed up but I can do without them. The hellish pieces would look a lot less interesting without them though.

Super Jamie said:

So many awesome shots, so few releases. Where are you guys keeping all these pro looking maps?

On my harddrive ;P

Nah expect mine sometime next month, maybe 3 weeks from now if I can keep it together. Also, it's not exactly a new shape exactly, but it does look better. Unfortunately I think I'm going to have to do something with those fences if they stay f'ed up in prboom ...

very nice armouredblood! that looks great!

Super Jamie said:

What's the blue supposed to be?

The map itself is going to use a lot of crystal blue textures. Also some random crystals (like seen in Stronghold) will be scattered around when I get deeper into detailing. Sky is also going to change.
As stated, this is WIP. Some GL lights might make the things around more clear of what the blue really is.
Also, this is an Invasion map for Skulltag, which means anything can happen here... Anything. ;)
I'll post more screenshots when the first area's layout is completely finished.

Also, I love the screenshots in here, especially the ones by ArmouredBlood and Dutch Devil.

EDIT: This is my first map in 1.5 years and first map in DB2. I'm taking this very slowly because I'm not used to DB2 at all.

Joshy said:

Not quite actually. I mean, if you look at Map04,12,15,22,24,27 for example, they are made mainly with doom2 stock textures, but it was the layout/architectures that stood out as 'plutonia'. My idea's probably weak but you've got the sky to your advantage that would make it look like plutonia. The plutonia textures doesn't have to be used dominantly but rather, subtly used.

I'll check out those maps, I think I'm gonna play some plutonia for inspiration. I try to make the map look as plutonia-ish as possible, which is not as easy as I thought. But I'm off to a good start. If I can finish it I'll donate it to your project.

Is it just me or is everyone making the most impressive maps lately :p That ceiling detail looks sweet ArmouredBlood.

Meh, pandora is bugging me about its 40 hour limit again -.- Going to have to switch to what I have on my comp ... oh, area I'm working on is a bit bare so the last shot is looking out from it. And uhh, I have 'spawn rocket' bound to my q key in skulltag ...

@ Simon666. I like some of that architecture you have going on there. In regards to the sky, it probably needs to be something in a shade of green, to match the green that is already all over. The red clashes too much with the structures in the level.

@AB. Dude, u just get better and better at this. Those shots look good.

@Malinku. That doesn't look barren to me. It looks really interesting actually. The only thing I would say, there is perhaps one too many colors in there. There are grays, greens, browns and even a little silver mixed in there. Probably any two of those would be enough I think. fewer colors = better defined areas, in my experience. But otherwise, that looks really interesting. Keep it up.

printz said:

EDIT: I could use this opportunity to ask for help.

What color translation does GIMP use when blending layers as "Hard Light" 100% opacity? I do realize that the open-door misalignment above looks bad, and instead I'd like the modified-SHAWN2 glow to stay put while the door itself moves, so I'm likely to use a translucent wall with custom TRANSMAP.

I just need a clue what color transformation does Hard Light exactly use.

EDIT: I just realized I'll need to move the transparent surface together with the door now, defeating the point. There's no way to unpeg middle textures in order to produce the wiping effect as with doors and lifts.

Late to thread, but here is a good explanation of different blending modes:
http://www.photoshopgurus.com/tutorials/t010.html

Ooodles of screenies. Screenie spam. (Sorry mods if this is too spammy).

Obviously from my project, map 07 in fact, though I am thinking of releasing this one as a standalone level as well once it is done. Would be good to get some actual gameplay feedback from you guys.

Awesome shots Kyka! That particular room with the tiered walkways has a great visual presence :D

Really like the look of the maps kyka. So uh, when abouts are we going to see them? ;)

Got some more work on this done today, little detailing in one 'chamber' and the main corridor. Yeah I'm calling it a corridor, not a gothic aircraft hangar ;p The far end where the bars are will be leading to yet another chamber, and from there the last part of the map. But wait, there's the whole OUTSIDE left! x.x My sketch on paper is likely not going to be to scale ...

Started this map months ago, still haven't got back to it.