Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Yeah, they look pretty awesome. Fix the alignment issue on the central structure in the second screenshot and it'll be fantasmic!

Pedro, those are freaking awesome!
With D64 textures, why not use Sprites too? It'd only make it look decent, but thats your idea. o.o

I think the hud looks pretty retarted, but otherwise not too bad shots.

I'm going to be the negative nelly and say that all of the rooms look very copypasta and symmetrical. Vary it up a little, man.

dutch devil said:

Slopes makes my textures look streched :( Is there some way around it?

Try changing the x or y scaling of the floor/ceiling of the sloped sector.

And if you're mapping in UDMF (which you really should be, for your own convenience, since it's already a ZDoom map), you can set the scale and panning (as well as quite a few other properties) directly in the sector itself, rather than relying on ACS and sector tags.

esselfortium said:

And if you're mapping in UDMF (which you really should be, for your own convenience, since it's already a ZDoom map), you can set the scale and panning (as well as quite a few other properties) directly in the sector itself, rather than relying on ACS and sector tags.

This means I have to use Doom Builder 2. But it seems easier than doing it with ACS. I think I will try ACS first, altough I am not very good at scripting. I will get there eventually, I'm trying to shave up on my zdoom mapping skills. I haven't made a map for zdoom in a couple of years I think.

Looks like a good start, though! Haven't really seen many castle maps since like 1997

Nomad said:

Looks like a good start, though! Haven't really seen many castle maps since like 1997

I haven't really seen... any. Could you link me to some good ones?

Hit one of prboom+'s limits for the second time working on this map now. Or more accurately, it isn't accepting zdbsp -normal nodes anymore, or something. So I think I might complete it with -compressed then pare down lines until it works in prboom+ again, so there will probably be 2 versions of the map. Anyway, excuse for me to post a map shot ;) 29k linedefs

P.S. it's fully zoomed out in skulltag ...

ArmouredBlood said:

Hit one of prboom+'s limits for the second time working on this map now. Or more accurately, it isn't accepting zdbsp -normal nodes anymore, or something. So I think I might complete it with -compressed then pare down lines until it works in prboom+ again, so there will probably be 2 versions of the map. Anyway, excuse for me to post a map shot ;) 29k linedefs

Get the latest ZDBSP from zdoom.org and run it with the -X parameter added. It'll generate a non-compressed form of extended nodes that are compatible with recent builds of PrBoom-Plus, Eternity, and ZDoom alike. With them, combined with DB2's built-in sidedefs compression of limit-breaking maps, you can safely go well over 65535 segs and sidedefs while retaining cross-port compatibility.

esselfortium said:

Get the latest ZDBSP from zdoom.org and run it with the -X parameter added. It'll generate a non-compressed form of extended nodes that are compatible with recent builds of PrBoom-Plus, Eternity, and ZDoom alike. With them, combined with DB2's built-in sidedefs compression of limit-breaking maps, you can safely go well over 65535 segs and sidedefs while retaining cross-port compatibility.

Awesome. Now my only problem is the zdbsp documentation only tells me how to run it with wadauthor and not from the commandline >.< So far I've gotten this

C:\Users\Blood_Titan\Desktop\doom stuff\zdbsp1.16\zdbsp.exe -mMAP21 -X
but besides finding -b possibly for build in an ooooooooold dw thread and -o for writing to a new wad filename, I still need to know how to tell zdbsp what wad I want to build a map from. Can you give an example commandline?

bgraybr said:awesome castle pics

You going to use diff textures? You should make it for doom 1. Better texture set, and mancubi don't really fit in a castle setting.

bgraybr said:

I haven't really seen... any. Could you link me to some good ones?

Eternal Doom 4, map27 (remember to use IDMUS).

Another one got a Cacoward in some year or another...

ArmouredBlood said:

Awesome. Now my only problem is the zdbsp documentation only tells me how to run it with wadauthor and not from the commandline [...] I still need to know how to tell zdbsp what wad I want to build a map from. Can you give an example commandline?

Run ZDBSP without options and it will tell you how to use it.

Usage: zdbsp [options] sourcefile.wad

Nice shot 40oz, do I see portals.

A boom map I'm also working on. Inspired by a map I did for NDCP2. Not much too see yet, just one room finished so far. It took me 2 hours though :p

That's looking great 40oz! How many of those textures did you make?

Looking very Quake 2 there dutch :]

Nice shot Dutch Devil, I really do love your maps.

I can't even begin to explain how ecstatic it makes me feel that you were almost convinced that I used portals in my map. Nope! it's limit removing :D

I (sort of) made all the textures myself. There are a handful that I made completely from scratch, but most of them are heavy edits of many textures I found on grsites.com/textures, and cgtextures.com

A lot of the wall textures are based on and edit I made of this photo of an old briefcase I found.

I made the wires that can be seen on the floor with this method I also made the warning stripes, the white ceiling light, and the diagonal ceiling boards myself from scratch.

Since I'm not very good at drawing streaks or scratches, a lot of grsites.com textures served as good bases and overlays. I just resized and recolored them and added my own touches such as shading and rivets. Here are some original pieces that can be seen in my textures: top level grating, ceiling flat borders ventillation shafts floor texture

40oz said:

I can't even begin to explain how ecstatic it makes me feel that you were almost convinced that I used portals in my map. Nope! it's limit removing :D

Cool, it really looked like they were portals, I fell for it. Neat trick. I used to rip textures from grsites as well, my early zdoom maps had some of them.

Hellbent said:

[b]

You going to use diff textures? You should make it for doom 1. Better texture set, and mancubi don't really fit in a castle setting.

Doom 1 doesn't have any good stone or brick textures, but I agree about the enemies. I'm going to use almost all Doom 1 enemies (no Mancubi or Archviles) and I already replaced the sky and music with Doom 1 stuff.