Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

40oz said:

Also yay new pallete

Looks really gritty and Doomy.. How do you even do a new palette? I should know but I don't

Also Hellbent. Best looking cityscape ever.

Kyka said:

Looks really gritty and Doomy.. How do you even do a new palette? I should know but I don't

Yeah I've been wondering for the longest time too. It's kinda cumbersome but you can use XWE to edit the RGB values of each color in the pallete individually. To get the greens how I wanted them, I just increased the blue values by 10-15 units. For the blues I increased red about that same amount to get that faint violet color.

Also I used inkworks (It's a very small download and is a great utility specifically for editing doom's pallete) to create the same red damage effect that saturates the colors in red instead of a red overlay, just like claus1024's pallete. inkworks actually has an option to do just that, it's as simple as clicking on that specified option and exporting the wad from the utility.

Hellbent said:

making skies for doom using mspaint from images found on the web:

snip

I have several decent skies that tile that I made last night, if anyone wants to use them.

Coooooool. You just take a picture, make it so that it loops correctly, and save it with the correct palette? Or I guess you could save it with Paint's default 256 color palette but it doesn't have the right colors in Doom.

You're right, it doesn't have the right colors in doom and so it doesn't work. I find a photo on the web that I think wouldn't be too hard to get to tile. If need be, I crop a portion by copying and pasting in Win XP's Ms Paint to make it tile better or to get the part I like and save it as a 24-bit .bmp. Then I use MS Paint's stretch/skew tool to get the image 256x128. Next I save it as sky1.bmp. Then I open DeepSea and hit F7 and click on Merge-Import any files. Open a wad I am modifying and add the new sky. Then I go back to the F7 menu and export the new sky into sky1.bmp (and backup the 24-bit copy). DeepSea has automatically converted it to the doom 256 color pallette. If you save it as 256 color in Ms Paint and then import it into doom, you usually get left with like 4 colors.

Next part is how I get it to tile. I hit CTRL-E in MS Paint to bring up the image attributes screen and change the attribs from 256x128 to 512x128. I select-all and then copy and paste the whole thing in the new white area created by the expanded image dimensions. Then I zoom in 800% where the two images connect (the 'disconformity') and start pixel by bloody pixel (it's really not that bad--kinda fun) and make the area that doesn't blend... blend. MS Paint's 'select the color' tool is key. It keeps my editing within Doom's palette, and makes it much easier to blend the 'disconformity' so it will tile. Once I'm done doing that, I copy the second half of the first half of the image (so from like 128,0 to 255,127) and then paste it over the last half of the image. Then I delete the first half (0,0 to 255,127) and move the second half over and save the image as 256x128 again. Sometimes I'll add 8 to the top of the image (256x136) because that area gets chopped off in doom for some reason. This is the easiest way I've found for getting images to tile. MS Paint's x,y coordinate info is key for doing this. I may chop off the top of the empire state building since it seems to appear more than once if you spin around 360 degrees.

Kyka said:

How do you even do a new palette?

If I ever need a new palette, I'll most likely fire up a homemade C program to write it for me.

Thanks, that feature of DeepSea sounds pretty handy, myself I load Doom's palette on Gimp and use colors from there. Haven't used DS much because its, uh, 90'ness puts me off a bit. It's still a great all-around tool.. "cleaning up" the UI could be a good idea. Not that I know what's the author's up to nowadays.

I hadn't even thought of getting skies from the net, I just assumed they'd look yucky. Looks like it isn't so.
Pixel-by-pixel is familiar for anyone who has worked with editing Doom graphics, I swear I can tell apart the smallest variances of red hue after animating the last lava flat...

Sorry for flooding up the tread, you may go back to posting brown pictures now. Har har.

Hey hellbent, I like that you are getting into graphic editing. Making sure the skies tile is an important part. However, as far as skies go, perspective is very important too. It appears you nailed it down with the second two but I can't really tell what's going on in the first sky. Also, in addition to that, I'd suggest using a utility like Irfanview or some other photo editing utility to recolor the image before you translate it to doom's pallete. Preferably to a more prevalent doom color like gray, light orange, brown, red, or green. The first and last sky suffer pretty badly from that IMO. the sky with the moon is really cool though. I think it could some more interesting coloring though. It's a little too evident that it is a grayscale photo.

A gothic theme DM speedmap I made for Malinku's recent speedmapping session using the Erratic Texture Pack.

Two screenshots means bad luck.

EDIT:

Hellbent said:

I find a photo on the web that I think wouldn't be too hard to get to tile.

Beware of copyrighted photos.

philnemba, that looks pretty good.

And printz, the more time goes on, the more I like your style. Chaotic and gritty and somehow very 'Doomy'. Are all these screens you have been posting the last few months for a particular project? I hope so.

Also:

printz said:

If I ever need a new palette, I'll most likely fire up a homemade C program to write it for me.

Showoff :P

Printz, I don't like it. I'm not sure what to change, but it's just ugly. Maybe it's that the butt is way too fat and it looks like Doomguy's right hand is trying to choke a Manc.

[edit]Er, am I supposed to be looking at the map, or the shitty sprite? The map screenshots look good, btw, especially the first one.

[edit2]@Hellbent: That City sky is fucking ace. I could probably actually use that for a project I've had in mind for a while. You going to put these up somewhere, or something?

Nomad said:

Maybe it's that the butt is way too fat and it looks like Doomguy's right hand is trying to choke a Manc.

That's what makes it look the more brutal.

Nomad said:

Maybe it's that the butt is way too fat and it looks like Doomguy's right hand is trying to choke a Manc.

Never played KDiZD?

scalliano said:

Never played KDiZD?

Right, you really need to choke a demon after going through that terror.

As to answer Kyka's question: it's not an Eternity project. Don't get portal expectations or whatever. Thanks a lot for the feedback.

Some new shots from my Boom-compatible project:

I know I should be working on Vaporware etc. instead :P

Vader boom map? Om nom nom nom nom, WANT, etc. World's tiniest slime trail in the last shot.

It's ok DRM. It isn't actually a slime trail, it's just a custom flat made up to look like it has a slime trail through it.

Why Vader would want to do that, I don't know.

On another note, awesome shots Vader. Remarkable stuff. :)

Thanks folks :)

Kyka said:

It's ok DRM. It isn't actually a slime trail, it's just a custom flat made up to look like it has a slime trail through it.

Why Vader would want to do that, I don't know.

Simple; because I can ^_^

Nomad said:

[edit2]@Hellbent: That City sky is fucking ace. I could probably actually use that for a project I've had in mind for a while. You going to put these up somewhere, or something?

I'm prolly not going to do anything with it. Was just messing around in mspaint. If you want it it's yours. I can email it to you if you like.

Can I have that moon sky while your at it?

Mmm, me likes!
Any idea when you'll be done with this map? I want to play it :P

Looks awesome, Vader. Nice ceiling rocks, too :>

Thanks, I'm also pleased how this part turned out, considering the lack of slopes.

Vader said:

Mmm, me likes!
Any idea when you'll be done with this map? I want to play it :P

Probably next year, I don't think I will get anything released this year. I'm moving to a new home, so I don't have any time for mapping or anything else for a while.