Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Grazza said:

Nuts.wad includes a modified colormap that changes the invulnerability effect. So unless a port ignores a colormap included in a wad, then this effect will be applied.

*checks nuts.wad*

Wow, didn't realize that :-S Then again, Mocha Doom doesn't ignore the colormap...or anything, for that matter (except sound, for now). Sadly, for the rest the usual vanilla restrictions about flats and sprites in PWADs apply e.g. only fully merged IWADs or PWADs with full SPRITES/FLATS lumps work.

Even worse, if additional sprites exist anywhere within included PWADs they actually cause Mocha Doom to crash rather than just rendering them as garbage, because they cause sprite lookups to go beyond the acceptable array bounds, so including full Boom-like support for flats and sprites in PWADs is a must.

Yes, that's what I meant. Mocha Doom isn't ignoring the colormap, so it is displaying the effect correctly. This is the way vanilla works too on Nuts.wad.

Ah '94 maps always have something special about them. Weird texturing or designs etc. I sometimes miss that old school do whatever you like look the '94 maps usually have.

dutch devil said:

Ah '94 maps always have something special about them. Weird texturing or designs etc. I sometimes miss that old school do whatever you like look the '94 maps usually have.

Well said. I also really miss the fun and quirky gameplay that usually accompanied those types of levels, in the wads I'm making I'll try bring that style of gameplay to life again in a few of the combat situations I've got planned.

I admit the maps are kinda junky looking. My biggest gripe with them is that there are too many right angles used in every single map. Some traps are a little fierce but nothing too difficult for someone who's ever completed Doom 2 on UV. The maps are very long and I sometimes get lost but I've seen some trap ideas and layout designs that I've never seen in maps released within the last 10 years. I like looking at the rooms that are very bare and empty of anything except monsters and items and making inferences of what the room is supposed to be.

True, the author does seem to follow a set pattern, especially in the first episode. Many of the first few levels seem to contain one particular annoying structure that consists of a ground "floor" of nukage and lost souls, and a second floor that has many unnecessary rooms. The wad does pick up though, and I would say map 20 and map 30 are the best maps in it. I would at least play maps 11-20 for a laugh.

Vaporizer said:

Changed bullet puffs into plasma impact sprites (chainsaw, shotgun and ssg sprites will be changed later):

I did this mainly just for the dagger weapon, though it looks quite cool on other weapons too...

I've always wondered why Equinox only changed the sprites for the pistol and chaingun, and had the weird buzzing noise for the shotgun. It made the wad seem a little incomplete.

DuckReconMajor said:

huh?

wut? When I played it the regular shotgun's firing sound was replaced with a short buzz that sounded like static or an electric shock. I just assumed that the author meant to replace the shotgun sprites with a high-techy electrical looking ones but never got around to it. I think I ran it in Zdoom and later Doomsday.

or lost souls with bees in their mouths so when they shriek they shoot bees at you

Doesn't look bad, but it looks like the tiling is a bit too noticeable, especially in the darker side of the shot.

DuckReconMajor said:

I don't think that's the tiling as much as the light radius lines are really noticeable for some reason.

It's because the texture is rather low-contrast. The higher contrast it is, the less visible banding will occur between colormap levels.

few days ago, playing on skulltag with my new laptop, i've noticed this bug in doom.wad e1m4:

the funny thing is i've noticed this only when i played it, so i made this fancy photo ^_-

StupidBunny said:

More screenshots from my work-in-progress. The first map was completed in less than a week, which for me is an amazing accomplishment. The second I started only a couple days ago.

looks great