Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Ed said:
I think the wad name reflects why I stopped working on it; "Convoluted Mess"

I like it. The snake textures often remind me of wallpaper, but in these screenshots they resemble hellish guts that are corrupting the techbase.

Thanks guys.

Essel: You ought to have a Doom Home Decorator's program as every time your design suggestions seem to tie the room together, much like the rug from 'The Big Lebowski'. I changed the snake flat to a simple FLAT3 and it worked very well, thanks.

It's not very big, I'll clean up what I can and try to mold it into a small DM map or something.

Ed said:

Thanks guys.

Essel: You ought to have a Doom Home Decorator's program as every time your design suggestions seem to tie the room together, much like the rug from 'The Big Lebowski'. I changed the snake flat to a simple FLAT3 and it worked very well, thanks.

It's not very big, I'll clean up what I can and try to mold it into a small DM map or something.

Wait, really? I liked the snakes, I thought it'd just look better if the stuff they were cut into (the hex tiles) matched the shape they were cut out in (square). Have you tried keeping the snakes but replacing the hex tiles themselves with FLAT3 instead?

Oh well; if it looks good to you, it works :P

Ed said:

Thanks guys.

Essel: You ought to have a Doom Home Decorator's program as every time your design suggestions seem to tie the room together, much like the rug from 'The Big Lebowski'. I changed the snake flat to a simple FLAT3

Nobody fucks with the Snakes.

I liked the snakes too Ed. The visual clash actually looks good they way you had it.

Also FUCK YES CEMENT

Thank you dutch for making ample use of one of my favorite textures of all time! The map's looking quite balanced visually - although I think the additional LITE textures around the computer and switch in the back may be too much.

C30N9, not sure how gameplay will unfold on that map but I'm sure you know what you're doing. I really like the second screenshot. Gives me a sort of pseudo E4/mid 90s map feel. In a good, nostalgic way. :D

StoneFrog said:

Thank you dutch for making ample use of one of my favorite textures of all time! The map's looking quite balanced visually - although I think the additional LITE textures around the computer and switch in the back may be too much.

I agree, it looks great but it's somewhat LITE3/LITE5 overload for one area I think.

Hey folks,
I'm new round these here parts and wanted to introduce myself in this thread along with some screen shots of my first map.
The Map is called Critical and is my first edit with DB2.
There are some custom textures involved from a few sources over at Afterglow and Realm667 (will credit when I release the wad) and I have tested on GZDoom,Zdoom,and Skulltag. Nuff said here's a look!

Entryway^^^

Entryway2^^^

Coolant Room^^^

and Hell Bled In^^^
Thank you and I hope to upload this wad within a week or so after I figure out how to do it correctly.
P.S. Is it considered a Foul for IDDQD on your own map? :)

TropicalDeathPunch said:

P.S. Is it considered a Foul for IDDQD on your own map? :)

No, it's practically necessary when you're trying to tweak a certain part of the map and you don't want to spend 5 minutes every test run. If you're doing it because your map is impossible...yes, major foul.

The level looks kinda interesting though...but the star on the floor should really be inverted, it looks too strange

Thanks for the suggestion MajicSofa! Could you elaborate on inverted? Like recessed into the floor? If so I did that at first, had some lava with a damage effect. Looked outta place to me so I went for a polished floor look. Suggestions and PM'd examples are most welcomed!

Yeah I mean it should be recessed into the floor and still have the open sky. If you're really trying to be abstract you can do whatever you want, but it looks weird if the sky is covering up what should be solid material :P

If it was a mirror image of the ceiling, it would look more logical (still weird/demonic though)

Couple more, almost done. Still using stock Doom mapping / textures. Runs under PRBoom fine.

Ed said:

Couple more, almost done. Still using stock Doom mapping / textures. Runs under PRBoom fine.

Looks great boss. Lighting gives it an icky yucky scary spiders feel to it that make me want to play! Are you using DB2?

That and a lot of Skinny Puppy / The Birthday Party.

DeathevokatioN said:

Doesn't look bad TropicalDeathPunch, although the details look a little copy pasty.

Thanks boss. The feed back is great! I will admit that I did a lot of C&P because I find it to be an effective way to save time. Out of curiosity though, what suggestion would you have that would improve upon or would be better than the one used here?

Whoa man, the lighting totally brought that map to life (and it was pretty cool looking before). Nice one Ed!

TropicalDeathPunch said:

looks good! I dig the green lighting. Did you use a clear texture on the sector that shows up as solid black?

Thank you :) and yes, I use a special, absolutely black texture :)

BTW, it will be a secret place on my Community Chest 4 level.

TropicalDeathPunch said:

Thanks boss. The feed back is great! I will admit that I did a lot of C&P because I find it to be an effective way to save time. Out of curiosity though, what suggestion would you have that would improve upon or would be better than the one used here?

My suggestion with detail is to use it for effect, rather than to merely fill up spaces. And my best advice is to play these megawads and find maps where you find the detailing to be pleasing, and get inspired by that.

http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=11790

http://doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=8194

Your shots have a nice and atmospheric old school feel to them though. It's only the third where the C&P gets a bit much. For a first map it's actually looking awesome.