Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Thanks, Christoph. I guess I gave up for the same reason I always do - fretting and wasting time over the little things, texture alignments, vertex-perfect shapes.. And of course the terrible soul-consuming lack of good gameplay. Looking pretty doesn't equal playing well so there just comes a point where I think to myself "Why am I doing this? This isn't going anywhere and will play like crap" so I delete them. There fore: "saddening remains" :D I have more, check it:

You could try making "rough drafts" where your focus is purely on gameplay, paying only the bare minimum of attention to appearance, until you have something that you feel is fun to play, and then dress it up. You have a knack for visuals, so I think you could make anything look good in post-production.

I keep trying to do that myself, but I just sucked into details no matter what.

I swear I'm going to need to write a fucking Doom Builder addon first chance I get that constrains my max linedef/vertex density allowed per 128x128 blocks.

TheeXile said:

I swear I'm going to need to write a fucking Doom Builder addon first chance I get that constrains my max linedef/vertex density allowed per 128x128 blocks.

lol - you may need to send me a copy also, if I am to finish my cc4 map in the next deadline! Better yet, some program that forces you to get something done at least once a month, since my biggest problem is getting motivated enough to even start working. Once I get going I'm good for a few days, but I do tend to get bogged down by details and problems/possibilities instead of sticking to a simple plan and pushing through to the end.

Perhaps what we really lack is indeed discipline. I think I will give this a try - come up with something that's no more detailed than regular Doom 1, make ALL areas and then do pretties work.

TheeXile said:

I keep trying to do that myself, but I just sucked into details no matter what.

You can set the grid size to that, and leave "snap to grid" on 100% of the time.

Creaphis said:

You can set the grid size to that, and leave "snap to grid" on 100% of the time.

Well, he said to constrain the amount per 128x128 block, not to constrain himself to a 128x128 grid. :P

It's ON again!

I'm not sure how well this whole Quake dungeon theme is going to hold together though, I'm thinking of switching to a cleaner Doomish texturepack. The Q conversions seem to be too dirty, dark and with lots of black spots in them. I mean, yes, I want it to be a dark and gloomy dungeon but I want it to also not be all black.

Should I keep with the Quake textures or scrap em? I'm afraid I have no idea what pack would look good for the sort of dungeon I want.

Oh me likes that drawing, maybe I should try to turn it into an map as well :p

I think the textures you use are quite nice, it all depends how well you make use of them.I like the shots, stick an few crates and some missing tiles in those areas.

I do think that if you do an Quake themed map you should go all the way, imo the doom door texture feels out of place.But it could be just my taste thats doing the talking now :p

I thought the door texture is a bit off too but the Quake medieval doors are the slide-to-the-side type and the texture has a cleft in the middle so I thought it would be odd if the doors went up.

Yeah I know but imo they still look good enough to go up, I used some Quake doors for my ndcp2 map as well.I knew they were of the sliding type, but didn't felt that it would look odd seeing them go up instead of to the sides.

If your project is for Zdoom, you could go for sliding doors.

For the first time, I decided to do a map that is vanilla Doom :D So no sliding doors here. I never learned how to do the polyobjects anyway, I only did swinging doors.

But mapping for regular Doom feels so... liberating! You no longer need to worry about advanced shizzle, you just do sectors and texture them, then move on.

And yes, I replaced the door textures with Quake's, it's not that bad indeed.

Curunir said:

But mapping for regular Doom feels so... liberating! You no longer need to worry about advanced shizzle, you just do sectors and texture them, then move on.

Yeah I know the feeling when I switched back from Zdoom to regular doom, Zdoom mapping is more complicated.I enjoy mapping for regular doom alot more, but I still work on an few zdoom projects from time to time.

Hell Knights fighting each other. Why? I was playing open-close the blue door while there were other monsters bunched up in the corridor, namely suicide bombers and other humanoids. One HK hit one of the suicide guys, who promptly blew himself up on the demon and the other nearby knight, damaged by the suicide bomber's blast, started attacking the one who caused the explosion.

The screenshots above and below are some random Oblige levels on which I have heavily edited the configuration files for Skulltag and custom DECORATE monsters, as seen below:

dutch devil said:

Yeah I know the feeling when I switched back from Zdoom to regular doom, Zdoom mapping is more complicated.I enjoy mapping for regular doom alot more, but I still work on an few zdoom projects from time to time.

Weren't you working on a megawad? Unless its someone else, i cannot remember.

Also i'm surprised my topic is still up lol.

dutch devil said:

Yes I'm still working on one, it will be released in 2029.

8D i suppose we'll wait.

;-;

JohnnyRancid said:

Due to the recent uprise of conventional lawsuits due to UAC's hazardous environments, UAC has performed the ingenious task of ensuring the utmost convenience when navigating UAC labs by providing extra precautions in the workplace by indicating all potential dangers that could inflict physical self-injury. UAC cares about your safety. I present to you - Caution Tape Bonanza!

http://jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8348_DOOM0000.png

http://jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8348_DOOM0001.png

http://jbserver.com/forums/attachments/8348_DOOM0002.png

very reminiscent of a tnt map, iirc m18, "mill".

I think I remember different screenshots in that post. I guess maybe new screenshots were uploaded to that directory and overwrote the old ones?

Curunir... good luck with the mapping... some of those shots look really good.

Creaphis said:

I think I remember different screenshots in that post. I guess maybe new screenshots were uploaded to that directory and overwrote the old ones?

Yeah. Those screenies were totally different originally. There was yellow and black everywhere. Oh. And just for the record, Mr Creaphis, you owe us at least one decent level of your own this year. Well, you don't really, but I would like to see one at any rate. Return to castle creza was very cool.

Anyway... here are some screenies of the most recent level I am working on.

Screenie
Screenie
Screenie
Screenie