Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Recommended Posts

Some pics of Panopticon - my MAP08 submission for Interception. It's vanilla compatible but the pics have been taken in GLBoom+.


Share this post


Link to post
Mechadon said:

It would be neat if there was some way to partially automate hiding details and unnecessary lines for the automap. Maybe a DB plugin idea? I don't know how you make the process work though.


Hide ceiling edges that will never be touched by the player (easily deduced in vanilla Doom by checking if the sectors are triggered). Hide slope edges. Hide static floor edges surrounded by a selective rectangle or polygon.

Share this post


Link to post
Mechadon said:

It would be neat if there was some way to partially automate hiding details and unnecessary lines for the automap. Maybe a DB plugin idea? I don't know how you make the process work though.


I think the key is something analyze stuff, like the error reporter (or whatever is that stuff)

Share this post


Link to post

Every time i look at this thread i get bummed out. For years i've tried to learn to map good but i haven't gotten any advanced mapping skills or inspiration from it. How do you guys do it so well?

Share this post


Link to post

After 16 years or so, I don't think I had any choice but to be profecient. Experience and checking examples that I've seen is pretty much everything that's contributed to my current level of skill.

Share this post


Link to post

Look what I found in MAP10 of the WAD The NEW DOOM v1.0 (1337.WAD) by just looking at the level's map:



The creators called this map "Egypt", so that's why the map is shaped like the Eye of Horus. The reason I had God Mode on was that the whole map does damage to Doomguy. Besides, the WAD sucks ass anyways.

Share this post


Link to post

Oh god, now someone's going to actually try to embed an LCD screen into their fingernail. Now that I think of it, I bet it'd be possible in the near future to have LCD press-on-nails, probably using the same technology as those thin, bendable displays. Sigh. As long as I can play doom on it.

Share this post


Link to post
Nomad said:

Oh god, now someone's going to actually try to embed an LCD screen into their fingernail.

Not everyone will be able, because many have teeny-weeny fingernails.

Share this post


Link to post
NitroactiveStudios said:

The reason I had God Mode on was that the whole map does damage to Doomguy.

Well, there is a bunch of invuln spheres somewhere. :)

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

Well, there is a bunch of invuln spheres somewhere. :)

Yeah, but I used the idclev## cheat code as well, and when you warp to a level, you start of with your fistsm, a pistol, 100% health, 0% armor and 50 bullets. Also, if you haven't played the WAD before, you probablly wouldn't be able to find the invulnerability spheres in time before you get mutated.

Share this post


Link to post
NitroactiveStudios said:

The creators called this map "Egypt", so that's why the map is shaped like the Eye of Horus. The reason I had God Mode on was that the whole map does damage to Doomguy.

And if you truly knew what the Eye of Horus looked like, you'd be able to find the secret area :o

Share this post


Link to post
Lüt said:

And if you truly knew what the Eye of Horus looked like, you'd be able to find the secret area :o

Meh, me silly thought that this map having Hell texturing all over represents how hot it is considered to be in Egypt.

Ha-ha-ha.

Grab your BFG, knock the Spiderdemons standing in front of the bar of exit switches out while suffeing some -5/10% damage and you're done.

Share this post


Link to post

This map is just silly.

Of course, a lot of the maps in that wad are silly. MAP02 and MAP03, anyone? How about MAP21?

Share this post


Link to post
Gez said:

This map is just silly.
*image*
Of course, a lot of the maps in that wad are silly. MAP02 and MAP03, anyone? How about MAP21?


Don't have to tell to me. It was my second WAD from /idgames, in 2008. (first was Eternal Doom, that was WAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAAY better)

Share this post


Link to post
Katamori said:

Not the best picture, sadly I couldn't make better inside.

[IMAGE]

I like that shot, it has a nice Doom 2 vibe about it.

Share this post


Link to post

very nice shot Dutch, got a nice quake-ish style to it while
still keeping that doom feel to it, i like it!
Perhap you could find a use for this, i know it's simple, but
i believe it's a nice replacement for Doom2 sky:

Share this post


Link to post
Cell said:

Meh, me silly thought that this map having Hell texturing all over represents how hot it is considered to be in Egypt.

Actually, I could go with that.

Gez said:

MAP02 and MAP03, anyone?

natzis harvested in his nuts :O

Simon666 said:

Perhap you could find a use for this, i know it's simple, but
i believe it's a nice replacement for Doom2 sky:

First thought is that the colors are a good match.

Second thought is that there might not be enough contrast between it and the building overhangs.

Share this post


Link to post
Simon666 said:

very nice shot Dutch, got a nice quake-ish style to it while
still keeping that doom feel to it, i like it!
Perhap you could find a use for this, i know it's simple, but
i believe it's a nice replacement for Doom2 sky:

Thanks I'll try this one, see if it fits the map. I was thinking of using a Quake sky though. I think Quake 1 has an orange one.

Share this post


Link to post

Love it, Dutchy! The Quake 1 purple sky would look awesome if not for the palette incompatibility.

Those Riot Control maps really have a feel of their own. If they had weapon sprite replacements I'd think it was a different game!

Share this post


Link to post

here are a few very early wip screenshots of my "High detail" (or what i consider high detail) map that I'm working on




Share this post


Link to post
Olympus said:

I really like that last shot, Radromity, it has a nice mood to it. Keep it up!

Me 2. However, in the second, it seems to have a Deep Sea effect or how to call that with FLAT5_4.

Share this post


Link to post

@Randromity, the first screen looks extremely blank. I suggest placing some columns inside these borders on the walls, making some small cliffs in the large grass area (just divide the area drawing random sectors, give a different height variation for each sector, and put some dirt texture on their sides)

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×