Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

If that's intended to be part of a hedge maze, it can work.

Share this post


Link to post

If you're using ZDoom you should be able to use the voxel shrubs from blood :D

Share this post


Link to post

If you really want to see me getting carried away with harsh contrast and lots of shadows, plus some cool architecture, here you go:





Share this post


Link to post

Goatlord, maybe you should tone down the darkness of those shadows a little bit? The contrast is certainly cool, but it's too dark to see ANYTHING in that brightness. I'm not saying to brighten it significantly, just that it needs a little more to become visible and less jarring. Contrast works best when it's not jarring, imo.

First shot is a good example of too much contrast. I can't see a damn thing.

Share this post


Link to post

Some great moody lighting on this page. Thats a lovely shot Ed, looks like something bad is going to happen there

Share this post


Link to post

I think I don't like Ed's shot, lots of red lights spread all over the place make me feel weird. Maybe it's because the area is quite dark so my eyes jump from one lamp to another all the time and I can't concentrate or something.

Share this post


Link to post

Goat Lord, I really like the concepts and the architecture. Really unique looking stuff. But yeah, less contrast plz :)

@Ed That shot is reminding me of Gothic DM. Great sense of space but I kind of can see what Memfis is saying. It does look a little like it is made of lego. However, I would like to add that the lighting contrast is really really well implemented, especially seeing as there is so many lights. GoatLord, take notes. :)

Share this post


Link to post

Lord of Goats: I`m also wondering why the shadow starts at the middle of the line in the middle pentagon. Seems quite illogical...or is it coming from another object outside of the shot?

Share this post


Link to post
Sodaholic said:

Goatlord, maybe you should tone down the darkness of those shadows a little bit? The contrast is certainly cool, but it's too dark to see ANYTHING in that brightness. I'm not saying to brighten it significantly, just that it needs a little more to become visible and less jarring. Contrast works best when it's not jarring, imo.

First shot is a good example of too much contrast. I can't see a damn thing.


It looks fine when you get close enough to where you're actually interacting with the game. I've been playtesting it relentlessly, and none of the areas look too dark when you're actually fighting monsters.

I'll probably tone down the contrast in future maps. This one looks really interesting though, because it's black, black, black, that looks "normal" up close. I think it'll make for some good fights.

Share this post


Link to post
darkreaver said:

Lord of Goats: I`m also wondering why the shadow starts at the middle of the line in the middle pentagon. Seems quite illogical...or is it coming from another object outside of the shot?


If you look at the star in Doom Builder, the lighting is directional and accurate to real life. But since vanilla "Doom" can't do angled lighting on walls, some areas tend to look strange.

EDIT: The shadow shouldn't be on the floor though, just the wall, so I see what I did wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.

Share this post


Link to post

Clean line work, looks good. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty sweet once you get some construction done and post some pics!

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

If you look at the star in Doom Builder, the lighting is directional and accurate to real life. But since vanilla "Doom" can't do angled lighting on walls, some areas tend to look strange.

EDIT: The shadow shouldn't be on the floor though, just the wall, so I see what I did wrong. Thanks for pointing that out.


Do you mind posting a Doom Builder screenshot (brightness mode) of that area? I`m really curious tbh :P

Share this post


Link to post

The entire map is shadowed in this manner, although in some places it's either impossible or impractical to try to display the shadow accurately.

Share this post


Link to post
GoatLord said:

Clean line work, looks good. I'm thinking it's going to be pretty sweet once you get some construction done and post some pics!


Thanks! The only problem is that I use the lines strongly which has a consequence: all my drawn maps are too rectangular with a lot of 45 and 90 degree walls.

Anyway, I could implement my plans, and I can say: I'm quite proud of myself - again! Especially because this is my second hellish style map that I've ever finished.





Share this post


Link to post

Katamori: awesome

Goat: cool. I think I see some logical breaches there, but yeah, its Doom (engine) :P

Share this post


Link to post

Katamori said:
The only problem is that I use the lines strongly which has a consequence: all my drawn maps are too rectangular with a lot of 45 and 90 degree walls.

Get some isometric graph paper and have too many 60 degree walls :-)

Share this post


Link to post
Memfis said:

I think I don't like Ed's shot, lots of red lights spread all over the place make me feel weird. Maybe it's because the area is quite dark so my eyes jump from one lamp to another all the time and I can't concentrate or something.


Nice.
I'm not yet sure if it's parody or not. I'm going to have to add more red lights and see what it looks like then. I played through Gothic 99 recently so...

Share this post


Link to post

Oh my god, Afterglow. You're still alive!

Share this post


Link to post

Afterglow, you trying to give me a run for my money in the lighting department? Kidding aside, looks really great, a bit Quake-ish too (much like my current map in development).

Share this post


Link to post

Katamori: Nice library kind of place. Made me think of Dungeon Keeper.

--

I made some barrel replacement model, and finally managed to overcome some of the weirdness in Blender. Think it needs some text/logo stuff on the other side.

Share this post


Link to post

Pretty cool, though it doesn't really fit in Doom very much. Could be cool for Wrack though :D

Share this post


Link to post
This topic is now closed to further replies.