Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Snakes said:

My God has it been a long time since I've tried to detail anything.

[image]

Really interesting looking area. I like the inset sector with the hanging wires.

Captain Toenail said:

Great use of Heretic's colourful palette; great, yet restrained, height variation (this is Heretic, after all); decent use of lighting variation (archways and cubbies mainly, from what I can tell). Although it's probably wise to keep fussing with the light to a moderate level as you have, because this is intended to be a DM map.

I really like the first screenshot with the pool that is effectively a dead end with open sides. Makes the player work for the goodie within (risk-reward). >:)

LigH said:

@ _bruce_:

Chocolate ?!

Nevertheless, yummy! :)

Can't call it Chocolate because it's along an enhanced path but nonetheless its base is Fraggle's awesome port of the original.
One user came up with Chocolor and it fits like a Gantlet because it's primarily about more color enhancement - and that on many levels.

Understood. One of the most important advantages will probably be that the hue jumps between bloody red and skinny beige can be avoided.

Memfis said:

why speed 90? :)

I use speed 90 for -nomonsters runs when testing for layout functionality. Weird habit I got into way back in my early days of mapping. Also, thanks everyone :)

Looks nice, Lutz. Hopefully you're not running into limit issues in any of those areas (NEIS is vanilla, right?); some look pretty complex sectorwise.

The E1M2 level is going to be more like my "wastes.wad" map I did a few month ago:
Decimated UAC building:

ye olde bridge:

Backwards look on unfinished start point:

esselfortium said:

Looks nice, Lutz. Hopefully you're not running into limit issues in any of those areas (NEIS is vanilla, right?); some look pretty complex sectorwise.

I do have some concerns (particularly the area in shot #2), but have done my best to curtail instincts to over-detail. Still, adding any sort of environmental shadowing adds a stupid number of sectors, and doing it without advanced features/effects only compounds the problem.

Lutz: Really, really nice lighting. I won't harp on you for having the 'shadows' be in the wrong place on the ceiling (first screenshot), because I'm guilty of doing just the same in my map.

Speaking of lighting and visplanes, I guess I'm going to have to take out the gradated lighting in my 'holding cells' area. Even as I placed them I knew in my gut that I was probably over budget. :(

EDIT: for those who may be unfamiliar, the red area indicates a viewpoint where the player's game will crash if they look at a certain angle (in this case, down both hallways at once). I offer this Doom Builder screengrab in lieu of the Chocolate Doom screenshot I was going to take.
EDIT2: and here it is:

schwerpunk said:

Lutz: Really, really nice lighting. I won't harp on you for having the 'shadows' be in the wrong place on the ceiling (first screenshot), because I'm guilty of doing just the same in my map.

Speaking of lighting and visplanes, I guess I'm going to have to take out the gradated lighting in my 'holding cells' area. Even as I placed them I knew in my gut that I was probably over budget. :(

http://i.imgur.com/pL5LcUWl.png

EDIT: for those who may be unfamiliar, the red area indicates a viewpoint where the player's game will crash if they look at a certain angle (in this case, down both hallways at once). I offer this Doom Builder screengrab in lieu of the Chocolate Doom screenshot I was going to take.
EDIT2: and here it is:
http://i.imgur.com/QHTykyR.png

It looks like you also have a door closed on the right, so with it open you'd be getting higher readings still.

Also, it looks from the screenshot that the extra lighting sectors aren't even drawing as different brightnesses in vanilla. Doom's lighting goes in increments of 16. 144 through 159 are equal to 144, 160 through 175 are equal to 160, etc. So the lighting there is just creating massive numbers of drawsegs and visplane splits for no benefit whatsoever.

Though the real source of the problem is that it's an incredibly long, continuous line of sight. Not only are extremely long, flat, completely straight hallways generally pretty dull in actual gameplay, but they're pretty much completely incompatible with doing any sort of detailing within vanilla limits.

Schwerpunk: There's not really enough going on in that shot that would justify the amount of visplanes you'd need for an overflow. All I see is flat hallways strecthing on forever. The lighting is flat where you have gradient sectors, do they really need to be there at all?

If you really want to keep the lights, you'd be better off with maybe half the sectors you're using there. I'd also consider adding some sight-blocking walls in other areas if you're having problems, which would have the added benefit of breaking up the scene a bit as well.

EDIT: on second thought, you might just want to consider a less stringy layout altogether, that doesn't look like a good way to connect your areas.

esselfortium & Marcaek: Thanks for the comments, guys. Just a couple of notes: 1) I have opened the door on the right to make sure I don't run into another overflow, 2) this is just an introduction area, where the player 'escapes' from a cell, overpowers the guards (shoots them, lol) and quickly exits the holding cells areas and enters the map proper. Perhaps it isn't the most exciting design, but it's meant to look like a large detention centre. Same-y and soulless, in other words. I estimate there's maybe 3-5 minutes of gameplay in this area, tops.

The North and South passages connected at the intersection there aren't even traversable, they're just there to give a sense of a large facility, before getting into some real gameplay. Believe me, it's been hard not to include more variation in the design, but I've been restraining myself until the midpoint of the second L-shaped hallway.

Re imperceptible lighting changes: Ironically, yeah, I only added the gradated lighting for people who choose to play on ZDoom, but it ended up being too rich for my ChocoDoom core. So the axe it gets. But I'm really attached to these long, boring hallways. They just feel more institutional to me. But I do plan on breaking it up more further in, and after hearing your comments, I'll be sure not to extend this portion on the map any more.

A couple of amusing things I saw:

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Screenshot_Doom_20130418_210959_zps898ba8e8.png

For some reason the Arachnotron looks like its raising its eyebrow at the Baron. Cracks me up so much

http://i120.photobucket.com/albums/o181/Ekerezan/Screenshot_Doom_20130418_232906_zpsdc47674e.png

A hilarious encounter here, the Cyberdemon got stuck on the wall and was just standing there getting punched in the ass by those Revenants. Did I walk in on something O_o? The face says it all!

Ragnor said:

the Cyberdemon got stuck on the wall and was just standing there getting punched in the ass by those Revenants. Did I walk in on something O_o?

How do you think he keeps those glutes so tone?

I noticed that flat levels sort of create more visplanes. Sometime ago when I was showing those sprites, first I had the level really flat, and the entrances/exits to/from the main area got easily overflowing when I added some light gradients. Then I lowered some parts of the main area 128 units and the visplane problems went away. I thought it would have had the opposite effect...

Jimi said:

I noticed that flat levels sort of create more visplanes. Sometime ago when I was showing those sprites, first I had the level really flat, and the entrances/exits to/from the main area got easily overflowing when I added some light gradients. Then I lowered some parts of the main area 128 units and the visplane problems went away. I thought it would have had the opposite effect...

I noticed the same strange thing. For instance, if I elevate this area in the corner, it significantly reduces the visplanes when looking down both hallways. Like, from 99 to 82. I'm guessing it's because some of the floors aren't visible any longer. I assumed that if a sector's ceiling was visible, it used the same amount of processing power as if both the floor and ceiling were visible, given the 2.5D nature of the Doom engine.

I should've known better than to doubt Carmack's voodoo.

Cell said:

All this visplane shit would've been easier if Doomguy was actually one-eyed.

What if Doom would have been a fantasy FPS? "Cyclops Adventures!"

Cell said:

All this visplane shit would've been easier if Doomguy was actually one-eyed.

Nope, for some reason that I can't explain, we'd all be stuck with a visplane limit of 64.

You may have to get used to thinking in the software rendering technique used, to understand the necessary visplane splitting when sectors are surrounding each other. I tried briefly but failed. An engine modification visualizing them could be interesting...

Hardware accellerated renderers don't draw textures line-by-line anymore; yet they will still avoid concave and hole structures.