Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

dutch devil, I circled all the things I liked in your second screenshot. I especially enjoyed everything done with LITE3 (or is it 5...), anyway the LITEs; they're great.

EDIT: May as well share some of my work, too. From a WiP entry for the Mad megawad project. The main weapon is a rocket launcher, so I tried to set up as many maddening engagements as possible, where fighting with such a weapon is difficult (dark areas, tight mazes, etc.).

basic hallway look

glowing bloodpool in secret area *shrug*

close-quarters maze

looks interesting schwerpunk, I like the look of the bloodpool and how it just stands out from everything else.

in relation to making things stand out, how would I make coloured lighting? (I'm looking to make PSX styled versions of my recent maps)

schwerpunk said:

dutch devil, I circled all the things I liked in your second screenshot. I especially enjoyed everything done with LITE3 (or is it 5...), anyway the LITEs; they're great.

Thanks the bottom shot is made from a drawing, had some rough idea how I would want it to look. So I made a drawing first, turned out pretty cool. I wanted to stick those ceiling lights on an unusual position.

CorSair said:

If I wasn't already impressed, now I really am. :)

Thanks its around 70% done so far, it grows by the day. So many ideas to put in still. This map turns out very different than my usual stuff, kinda weird with texture combinations and layout.

Heh. My first thought was: 'Jellyfish', which is not to say, 'ugly'.

I really like that second shot dutch - nice and gloomy, and I like the light on the nukage :)

Not been able to attend to DOOM much this week, but was able to steal some time this afternoon - been playing with this room (not done yet).

Katamori said:

Dead parachute trooper. My question is that can you approve it or is it rather ugly?

https://www.dropbox.com/s/7lg1dmkq2hxb763/SiT%20MAP13.JPG

It's definitely Doom-y... Not exactly great looking, but if it's integral to you level, it could be justified. We already have to suspend our disbelief when playing Doom wads, so it's not really a huge deal...

EDIT: @ Durian - nice room! Inspired by Doom 2's MAP01 in any way? Great lighting. Also, while I don't usually approve of flat changes without height variation, the transition from blue to grey looks really good as it is.

Impressive shot durian, I like what you did that BLAKWAL texture. Never been able find a good use for it. Seems inspired by Doom 2 Map01 like Schwerpunk mentioned, which is awsome of course.

Thanks guys :)

Yeah, a not-too-subtle descendent of Map01. If you're interested, here's a hi-res shot of the starting room (larger version of an image I posted a few pages back - is quite big).

@schwerpunk Yes I used to have similar feelings about flat changes without height variation, and sort of discovered by accident that in certain circumstances I prefer to keep things even.

Too keep my style from getting stale, I'm using the FreeDoom textures as I map. The final maps are just stock Doom 2, and the results often surprise me in a pleasant way.

Vanilla-compatible mapset.

Hard to say from this angle, but I wouldn't say so. I like the caco in the booth, for some reason I feel like he/she is on the telephone.

I can only imagine it's speakerphone, given the Cacodemon's lack of hands.

Dialing must've been a pain, though.

I got back working on the map that I was going to submit to DTWID. Now it has Doom 2 stuff, and much more rooms. This is going to be my first boom-compatible map to be released.

Sergeant_Mark_IV said:

I got back working on the map that I was going to submit to DTWID. Now it has Doom 2 stuff, and much more rooms. This is going to be my first boom-compatible map to be released.

Nice you see you working on non-ZDoom maps. Quite good anyway.

And my lighting practice map ended up combining with my UDMF practice map, now I have a Build-esque city map!

Still don't know where I'm going whit this though D:

Looks very cool, but in real life the light in those last two shots would be covering a much wider area.

ArmouredBlood said:

From my new map in sf2013.

*girly scream*

Also nice shots WC!

dobugabumaru, that first shot is fantastic. Whatever surreal dimension that exists in, I want to kill demons there.

The second shot is cool as well, but I think It'd be more impressive from another angle or ingame or something.