Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

I have a very verbally oriented way of going about detailing and design. I sketch and then outline the general style of each "region", the critical keys/switches and the order you go through them, as well as any really fancy encounters i.e. blocking off an area and having enemies teleport in. My thing is that my drawings are a rough guide at best, better sense of scale in-editor and all that, so I quickly stop following my notes down to every exact detail. Not really a problem, but once you fill in a few empty spaces or add some new ledges and windows so more areas can open out into one another, there's a sense that the structure starts to kind of disappear.

Katamori said:

Oh yes, when you make stuff first and then the gameplay. The mother of all crowded corridors!

I was even worse back in the day: I didn't even plan the place for the monsters!

No, that's the "build a cool overdetailed room and hack things onto it" style of mapping. I became self-aware of that and graduated to the "envision how the map would flow in multiplayer" style, taking it to its logical extreme and making things too overly connected!

StoneFrog said:

"build a cool overdetailed room and hack things onto it"

Alrighty then... More or less done with this room now.

Still some alignments to sort out, and then the bastard slime-trails :/

Okay. That's... Impressive. Seriously.

Only thing that annoys my eyes is that shawn/silver misalignment. :P

That's probably the best looking stuff I've seen in a long time. So much nice detail without looking like just a bunch of shit tacked onto a room for no reason.

Thanks guys :)

CorSair said:

Only thing that annoys my eyes is that shawn/silver misalignment. :P

Gah! How did I miss that!? Fixed. Images updated ;)

hehe, just an unfortunate case of mis-circumstances!

the map looks great and if ya fix that, that guy will be happy! :P

I have no Doom-pic to post, but I just found the bluprint for my next map. I experimented for several months before I found something I could continue working on.

it's inspired by the pink-picture-video of Rameses B - Safe Haven on Youtube :)

Memfis said:

What the hell is going on here?

Well spotted! Hadn't noticed that - that's why this thread is so handy - it was a tiny, dodgy sector, several units below the floor - a by-product of having a bunch of different sections overlap. Fixed, thanks :)

hey folks, I brought something really original

http://imgur.com/99LkEcg,szS8f1i#0

I'm going to keep the texturing on the base simple, but add lots of more shapes and windows to it.

I have something really far-fetched lined up for the music too

also! If anyone wants to help with coding then bazooka me a message :]

it's inspired (also by something on Youtube but also) by Space Harrier on the Sega Master System, and that age of simple and straight-forward graphics.

if mappers want to join you are also welcome

Very pretty, dutch! Let's hope it doesn't rain ;) Is this from the same map as the previous shots?

durian said:

Very pretty, dutch! Let's hope it doesn't rain ;) Is this from the same map as the previous shots?

Yeah same map, big sucker this map of mine :) Really cool lighting durian, best I've seen in a long time. Pretty nice stuff on this page.

dutch devil said:

Yeah same map, big sucker this map of mine :) Really cool lighting durian, best I've seen in a long time. Pretty nice stuff on this page.

Good stuff! I do like maps that are monstrously large :) And thanks!

@ Goatlord: Interesting mix of textures - some tech-base, some Earth, some Hell. Agreed with Cell about the windows, and - contrary to my remarks a page ago - I like that teleporter booth (it immediately made me think of this) but I'm unsure about the COMPSPAN sides (though, I'm generally not a fan of that texture).

Who remembers this room? I just finished it. I think. Caps out at 242 drawsegs and 110-ish visplanes

Also, this has been present in D2INO-22 for some time, it's a major part of the level...It actually shows the construction completion to some extent :P

Then finally, after all the months of it being there, I just realised that the torches will be infinitely tall in vanilla.

Hmm...

EDIT: Fixed it. Totally stealing the concept used in D2INO-29.

Cool shots Eris. That's turning out to be one of the D2INO maps that I'm most looking forward to playing. The first screenshot really shows the necessity of a new lava texture though - the current one tiles pretty awfully.

Processingcontrol said:

Cool shots Eris. That's turning out to be one of the D2INO maps that I'm most looking forward to playing. The first screenshot really shows the necessity of a new lava texture though - the current one tiles pretty awfully.

Yeah, in chocorenderlimits, just about every use of that texture causes a tutti(1). As I mentioned last time I showed that area, Antroid made a 64x128 version of D_BRAINx, which removes the IoS borders, and tiles properly.
I got them into a WAD, but couldn't get them to animate. I'll try again soon.

EDIT: (1) -> Heh, and that's not even what you meant! Fortunately, the new version fixes what you said too.

Thanks, it's working, and I've added it to the D2INO thread.

Also
"I was told that when I die, I'm going to burn in hell. Turns out they were right."

I am actually really stoked for D2INO, despite two failed attempts to make maps for it myself. Mmmmmm, vanilla.

Speaking of which;

I sure do love my techbase.

Nice shot! Interesting and varied geometry. The use of the light panel on the stairs is perhaps a touch strange (perhaps). But where's the previously mentioned project thread?