Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Memfis said:

Doom Builder's full-screen 3D EDIT MODE (available by pressing W) now puts the level designer right in the middle of his level just as though he were playing the game in DOOM.

Haha, that looks pretty insane :D Like a building's storeys flown into each other or something :D

[picture no longer working]

What do you think about the orange texture on the building at left?

Is it good as an outdoor texture for a building?

@ Sokoro:

Possible. Appears like massive stackable sandstone blocks to me. You may prefer to use metallic pillars for any corner, though, like sheeting walls.

The texture continuity above the orange lights in the corner is broken; I believe you should try to fix it. The indentation around the lights may rather have a discontinuity.

Patch93 said:

(img)

Ooh nice lights! I meant do something like that myself with the light textures.

Eris Falling said:

Ooh nice lights! I meant do something like that myself with the light textures.

Yeah. It's a combination of Texture glow effects, brightmaps and OpenGL Bloom effects. It looks really realistic all combined together.

Avoozl said:

That's a neat steam effect coming from the barrels.

That would be from Particle Fire Enhancer, my GZDoom setup consists of a few mods tweaked the crap out of to work together. This is mostly just for personal use though, so don't worry about me distributing people's things without permission.

Pavera said:

Is Doomguy supposed to be holding his pistol with both hands in that screen?

Yes sir. :P

Here's a few more screenshots btw:

Voxel models are cool yo.

I have no idea why the monsters aren't dark in this one. I don't recall them being like that anywhere else...

Also, there's ejecting brass and ricochets but I didn't get them in these shots unfortunately.

TimeOfDeath said:

More from a new Slaughterfest map:

just bumping this to let you know that it's awesome. i'd love to see whatever comes out of it.

Patch93 said:

Yes sir. :P

Here's a few more screenshots btw:

FLOOR7_1 looks extremely smooth in the first pic.

Sharp contrast between bronze and king-blue :)

Fiddling some more with this map. Experimenting with the BFG grab - I want to set it up so that if a player gets a certain way through the process of grabbing the BFG, players in other areas of the map will be alerted to this. So far I've been playing with the 'change light to 255' line, so certain things are revealed/light up, only if a player gets to a certain point in the map, that they can only get to if they've nearly got to grabbing the BFG. Some early results, from the SSG room:

Bloodyacid: Those shots are great, but need more light variation.

interesting! So when someone has the bfg, everyone knows and gets alerted. Does it eventually turn off? I.e. is it a timed effect?

iori said:

Bloodyacid: Those shots are great, but need more light variation.

Thanks! But like I mentioned in my post, light variations haven't been applied yet :P I usually do those last because the overlapping lines cause a problem for me if I need to make adjustments.

I recently got into creating my own textures. Boy, is it fun!

I just want to ask: do any of you find drawing and rendering textures addicting, even so much that you start falling behind on making actual maps?

Thanks schwerpunk! :)

Nomad said:

interesting! So when someone has the bfg, everyone knows and gets alerted. Does it eventually turn off? I.e. is it a timed effect?

Precisely! It's not timed - it's set to switch off once the player has actually grabbed the BFG and has started their return, crossing a certain line.

The entire process involves lowering a ledge, then making a mildly tricky platform jump onto it, then teleporting to a very small room elsewhere on the map, where the BFG, and various other goodies, are stashed, then teleporting out. Once alerted, other players can interrupt the process, either by going to a nearby spot from where they can shoot into the little room, which houses the BFG, and which the player has teleported to, or by going to the spot on the map where the player will teleport to on their way out. The red blocks light up if a player makes the jump (which itself isn't easy) and before they teleport to the little room; they turn off if/when the player makes it out.

A timed effect would actually be neater for various reasons, but it doesn't seem to be an option, in BOOM anyway.

In the interest of adding some ceiling detail to a large area in MAP22 of D2INO, I cause a large drawseg and visplane overflow. In fixing it, I've made the entrance much more imposing. I prefer this by far to what it was.

Now with 50% smaller seats!

Yes, I am well aware that the window cross is slightly misshapen.

durian said:

Thanks schwerpunk! :)

Precisely! It's not timed - it's set to switch off once the player has actually grabbed the BFG and has started their return, crossing a certain line.

[snip, for length]

A timed effect would actually be neater for various reasons, but it doesn't seem to be an option, in BOOM anyway.

So as is, it'll stay on forever once activated until someone successfully makes it through the little gantlet? Maybe I'm just misinterpreting what you wrote though, with the quality of mapping you're showing in the shots I'm sure you've got it figured out, haha.

Yes, which I'm not entirely happy with - I think it's at least unlikely that a player will get so far as turning them on, but fail to cross the line which turns them off - though it could happen if other players are already spamming rockets at the teleport destination.

Thinking about it, a neater solution might actually be to have the well-lit red blocks behind very very dark sectors that raise when the player crosses the relevant line, and then lower again after a set period of time - perhaps a generalised door action would do the trick.