Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

@Mouldy

Looking very nice! Good balance of blues and other tech elements. Though in the secont shot, I feel that there are too many blue lights, per diamond light. maybe 1/2 would be more aesthetically pleasing than 4 lights?

--

THE ISLANDS ARE EXPANDING

http://i.imgur.com/162Z8O2.png

Today marks 1 year since I registered on Doomworld. Was hoping to commemorate this with the final start area, skybox and texturing complete. Unfortunately, this is not the case.

I couldn't seem to create a space sky in Terragen Classic, and the 32-bit version of Terragen 3 doesn't work on the OpenGL PC.

(null) is not a valid Win32 Application.
EDIT: Very nice BloodyAcid!

BloodyAcid said:

@Mouldy

Looking very nice! Good balance of blues and other tech elements. Though in the secont shot, I feel that there are too many blue lights, per diamond light. maybe 1/2 would be more aesthetically pleasing than 4 lights?

You may be right there old bean. Interesting floating worlds you are making by the way

Eris Falling said:

I couldn't seem to create a space sky in Terragen Classic

It is possible, more or less. Heavily tweaked atmosphere (almost no blue and red, specific threshold heights), tiny and hard clouds, strong glow. Still the results are partially ugly. And there won't be "nebulas and star clusters".

I didn't mean to use Terragen for the sky, actually. You could make it black and underlay a rendered "moon" terrain with space sky created in a different way.

Commissioned work? example

But as I see in BloodyAcid's example ... the sky texture may have to be created anamorphically because it is skewed ... I have no experience in mapping at all, so I can't test my results.

@ BloodyAcid. Lovely stuff. I like the theme very much.

Just took a few quick screen shots to gauge the effect of some minor cosmetic changes, and they turned out like this!

I kinda like it though.

You seem to have either an odd width which can confuse routines which are optimized for even numbers (or even modulo 4). Or you got an RGBA image (32 bit) and a tool which only expects RGB (24 bit); I guess your screenshot is a bottom-up TARGA.

I'm not sure I entirely understand, but I adjusted the resolution in GZDOOM - with which I took the screenshots, but do not ordinarily use on this laptop - from 1366x768 (the highest resolution for this laptop) to 1280x720, and they turned out fine, so I guess it was something to do with that.

Eris Falling said:

-- Offtopic but avoiding creating pointless thread / bumping --
What's the deal with Realm 667 nowadays? I've still got a big red (X) on all links to the site, even though it was supposedly cleaned out. I seem to recall someone saying Javascript needed to be disabled?

Which browser are you using? Things look fine to me in Chrome and SeaMonkey, though blocking some of the previous intruders in my Hosts file probably helps.

@mrthejoshmon - could you turn down the gamma for your screenshots? Even with my sunglasses on I'm finding it difficult to pick out detail in the mines.

I couldn't find the gamma option so I just used ZDoom to take the screens instead of PrBoom.

The starting area:

The main cavern area (so far, the map is no where near finished and I plan to make it a long map):

A platform area which has a vital switch:

And finally a pipe I was messing about with:

I use Chrome. I'm sure the site is fine but I'd rather not risk a virus.

--

Terragen 3 decided it does work, but I still can't work out how to do stars and shit, so I'm going with LigH's method instead.

Terrainbox, take 1. While I think the general look is pretty nice and realistic, I think I fucked up on the downward view. Click to enlarge (2048x1536)

mrthejoshmon: F11 to cycle through gamma levels.

There we go, thank you for that info Eris and durian!

Not sure what this is, meh:

A big but simple cavern area here:

and I hope you are not claustrophobic:

Eris Falling said:

Terragen 3 decided it does work~~

Wait, there's a Terragen 3 now? I've used the first and second one, mainly for clouds (T2 was pretty good with them - and those pics used pretty much the default settings! Nevermind the dudes scattered about, I was testing a feature). No offense but your skybox is the defaultiest, most barebones thing that one can make in terragen 1 even, and not really realistic (I mean, so bright with a black sky? sure). You'll need a ton of tweaking to that terrain before you can make one that anyone who's seen a glimpse of terragen won't cringe about.

First go, could be worse. Fake contrast kinda messed me up here, really showing up the obvious boxiness* of the skybox sector itself.

I'm not sure if you meant have the mountains as midtextures then the space sky as the solid walls behind it LigH?
If I can nail this and end up finding skybox creation easy, I may do different ones for each map to get a sense of travelling.
Also, anyone know why the orange dynamic light isn't affecting the ceiling

*According to my spellchecker, this is a real word. I never knew.

Not bad! Is that the same grey rock texture, or a new one? Also, if - rather than a box - you make a regular polygon with a decent-ish number of sides, you can eliminate the fake contrast (just ensure that, with the number of sides that you select, none of them occupies a straight-line on the grid) whilst also eliminating other artefacts of 'boxiness'. You have to do a little maths to ensure that the circumference of the polygon matches the length, on the x-axis, of the sky texture, but that's no trouble.

durian said:

~~ whilst also eliminating other artefacts of 'boxiness'.~~

Actually when you do a skybox properly in terragen it is fit exactly for a box, and not a round shape of any sort. That would make it look worse. All he has to do is select the skybox and rotate it some arbitrary amount. With a pitch black sky it won't make a difference for the top texture.

If the sky was made to line up with certain architecture in the level, then you only have to drag the vertexes a few pixels from their original location to shake off the fake contrast. So essentially, a 0.1º rotation is good enough, and I've done it a number of times to get rid of the obnoxious random light/dark walls.

Otherwise, try a 45º rotation for a skydiamond instead of a skybox.

Interesting! Of course, I'll take your word for it - I was just recounting what seemed to work best for me in the past when I was figuring out ZDoom editing and skyboxes a few years ago - I have precisely zero experience with terragen :)

Thanks guys
Even when the skybox is expanded to make the top texture contain stars, I don't think rotating the sector would do too much damage to them. Thankfully, the sky doesn't have to line up on this level.
If something did go wrong with the top texture due to rotation, flats can be rotated in UDMF.

Durian: It's the same texture. I still think it's too a shade too though.

Antroid said:

I mean, so bright with a black sky? sure

I take it you aren't referring to the lack of stars here. Ironically, I made it that bright for realism.

EDIT: Terragen 3 is currently in pre-release beta. It was supposed to be finally released on the 29th, but has been postponed

Eris Falling said:

I take it you aren't referring to the lack of stars here. Ironically, I made it that bright for realism.

I think that even with stars only snow would be that bright at night/in space. Without stars though? No chance.

Although I suppose on the actual screenshot it's darker. I'll let you be the judge of brightness and all, but the terrain itself is still pretty much "five seconds in terragen 1" - level and I would strongly suggest working on it a lot more to make it less generic at least.

Less generic terrain is difficult for me to compute, considering that I would imagine this terrain to be like any other. Nevertheless, I've been pissing about with the sculpt tool for the past 45 minutes or so, carving more methane canyons, and changing some of the peaks.

This time, the sun has been removed, due to the in-game replacement being a sprite.

Yes, downward view is still broken. No-ones gonna see it ingame anyway :s

Eris Falling: That terrain looks wonderful. I like it.

May I join the outside area/terrain party?

http://nd06.jxs.cz/562/843/06c7478c74_94350698_u.png

http://nd06.jxs.cz/878/472/c3507fb052_94351543_u.png

I wanted the ground and the mountains to look more gray, but Doom's colormap said no. Also, the room behind the window in the second screenshot is very unfinished at the moment.

Wow, you guys probably never saw terragen in your lives. As someone who had, how that sort of no-effort terrain can be described as "wonderful" or "grade A" utterly boggles me. Again, no offence to Eris (he's a cool dude) but that's barely beginner-level in terragen. I mean, five minutes of "work" in Terragen 2 gave me this terrain:

http://i44.tinypic.com/27xkux0.jpg

All it is is a different heightmap generator instead of the kinda bad default one, some tweaks with lighting so it doesn't look too bright with the black sky (and disabling the atmosphere outright, which is why there's no fog: I presume Eris intended there to not be any in his terrain), and a second color layer for the meadows. The only thing I didn't bother doing is finding a suitable place for the camera and generating a full-blown skybox out of this terrain file.

Eris, if I see that kind of skybox in a finished product I'm gonna criticize the hell out of it. You better practice.

Edit: Made a "skybox" (with no top or bottom since they're pointless) as a proof of concept. Obviously, a planet might have different style mountains than Earth's, but I only want to provide context of what Terragen can do with at least some effort (as opposed to barely any).
http://i40.tinypic.com/54x2jd.jpg