Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Well that blood stream certainly looks far more intricate than any I've ever done, and I LOVE having liquids seep from everywhere in my doom maps. Some may call it too small and detailed in contrast to the plain corridor, but for me it's one of the cases where I don't mind the "detail" at all, in fact I think it looks hella neat.

Looks neat, though it doesn't make a lot of sense for bloodstains on the ground to use the animated blood flats/textures that flow like a pool.

Essel, it's true, but several people in several WADs have done it on the same way, so it's almost not noticeable for me.

Using animated blood texture for small blood pools is like things that always reminds me of Doom and the unique mapping features used in it. ;)

Marnetmar, if I wouldn't have seen NiTRO's comment, I'd have suggested that I see a demon-face wall texture through that gap.

Marnetmar said:

http://i.imgur.com/duGJk6S.png

hai

EXCUSE ME, I'D LIKE SOME PRIVACY PLEASE.

Exactly, he wants you quit watching him from the stall and get out of his bathroom!

Hurricyclone said:

More shit.

Ooh, I wonder what happened here?

Please tell me you're going to keep this in some form, it looks cool as hell.

@ Hurricyclone: I really like that bloody rivulet. Is the clipped forget human supposed to represent a cleaved corpse, or something, though? Looks a bit odd.

Marnetmar said:

Please tell me you're going to keep this in some form, it looks cool as hell.

I'm adding to it :p.

schwerpunk said:

Is the clipped forget human supposed to represent a cleaved corpse

Yup. Like it was cut in half and smeared on the wall.

mrthejoshmon gave you guys the world's worst kitchen...

I give you...the world's worst table.

esselfortium said:

Looks neat, though it doesn't make a lot of sense for bloodstains on the ground to use the animated blood flats/textures that flow like a pool.

Hells influence could be making it do that.

Hurricyclone said:

mrthejoshmon gave you guys the world's worst kitchen...

I give you...the world's worst table.

That looks like something that would appear in LSD Dream Emulator.

Katamori said:

Essel, it's true, but several people in several WADs have done it on the same way, so it's almost not noticeable for me.

Using animated blood texture for small blood pools is like things that always reminds me of Doom and the unique mapping features used in it. ;)

Kind of same here. I've seen people complain about "boiling blood" in small pools and how ridiculous it is, but to me the complaint is ridiculous. It's just Doom's "blood" flat, there to represent blood. Would you rather use some red carpet for that? I think that usually looks worse. And I don't really care that the liquids are animated as if they're boiling all the time, that's hardly what the texture is made to convey, it's just how it looks. If we're doing things like that, why don't we complain that the SP_ROCK variants look like a bunch of blocks piled on one another, but are used as cave walls or cliffs? (Actually, I often did but then I got over it).

The "red carpet" that people have been calling that flat may not be carpet at all but I don't think it's blood either, I used to think it was some sort of engraving, I guess the only true way to find out what it's supposed to be is either ask the texture artist or observe the way it was used in the original games.

I always use it as carpet, and I don't think it really has enough texture on it to be anything else but some flat and featureless fabric, or maybe red plastic but who would guess that if it was ever used with that intention? I think there's barely two colors in that flat. Any sort of engraving would definitely need to be much more pronounced.
(Just to make sure, I'm talking about FLOOR1_6 here).

That said, I have absolutely no idea how it was used in the original games. Heck, it might've been used for something wacky like the underside of red bricks or something.
But using any sort of static flat for even dried out liquids just looks bad to me. I'd much rather see boiling blood in little puddles than specks of what looks like a carpet.

Although I suppose making an animated, but pretty still-looking liquid flat could be entirely possible. Just have a couple pixels on it shimmer shightly, and maybe the overall color shift brightness subtly. But I'm still just going to use the "boiling" flats anyway, that's what I'm used to.

In the HD texture remake thread (from Reinchard666) I read that the white SP_ROCK texture is titanium ore. Either way, it always reminds me of salt caverns.

BFG alarm #3 (last one):

https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/28198906/DW/output_NSqhGD.gif

There's a nice one sec glow on the red, and after 30 secs it switches back to the blue. I've switched the texture used in #1 to the nice red one from DOOM, since it works better than the red rock (this one also has a one sec glow - going from zero to 256, it pulses at around 60bpm, so lends it a nice 'heart beating' feel). I'm still not sure if I'll keep #2 - it's kinda goofy, though I like it.

EDIT: Oops! I see I broke the image posting rules - apologies, mods.

joe-ilya: Well, that's not exactly monochrome? Well, the compblue does look good around the compspan stuff, but not so good when it suddenly appears on that shawn texture.

durian: That level seems to take a long time to do...

--

I made some ammo items.. There's bullets, shells and "rockets". The rockets could be changed a bit, maybe model each one separately or have some cap at the top? The others are more or less ok. Maybe I make some other stuff first. My plan is to get some small standalone demo released in some month or two.

And some blurred action with the flying monsters: http://www.moddb.com/games/blaze/videos/monster-b-action

LOL it was truly even from you, Antroid! But I laughed somehow. Sorry joe :D

Anyway, I've never mentioned but Jimi's 3D stuff are awesome even in my opinion, but somehow it's not Doom for me anymore. I still wish good luck for it, tough, because with these stuff you can do, may be even an indie game developer, I swear.

Jimi said:
durian: That level seems to take a long time to do...

Indeed! Well, it's just something that I'm idly fiddling with - I'm not in much of a hurry, obviously ;)

Katamori said:

LOL it was truly even from you, Antroid! But I laughed somehow. Sorry joe :D

Gosh , I just post stuff , don't take it seriously , what are you? A businessman or something?

@joe: Your screens remind me heavily of Ultimate Doom E2 and some E3 with the erratic texture use. It also looks difficult judging from the monster placement.