Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

+1 on the suggestion to explore large-scale / structural detail in addition to making pretty frilly bits.

Oh, please.

I can't really do large sectors well, mainly since long, large levels almost always bore me. The obsidian stuff was probably the only micro-detailing here anyways, other than a few linedef adjustments to make things look more logical.

The obsidian sure does compliment lava well though.

I agree with Ribbikks and Memfis. I think a large part of what makes it look bland is the lighting though, add some torches, skylights, etc. And itll pop a hell of a lot more. Also, the textures tile pretty badly, so thats not helping. You might wanna try to find a way to break up the REDROCK and the lava floor somehow.

Yeah, maybe the lighting has been changed as well, but I find it looks a lot less flat.

EDIT: before and after. Yeah, much better sense of distance and dimension in the second shot, imo. Monsters don't hurt, either.

It feels like a while since I posted a screen of my game-in-progress, SLaVE:

This is still, as yet, all done using EDGE's DDF and RTS. I am most proud of the scoring mechanism right now, which is done with simple Radius Trigger Scripts and has recently-implemented bonuses for finishing a level, and doing so without taking a single hit.

Truly this is a love-letter to '80s arcade games.

Hurricyclone said:

Thanks for your FABULOUS monging, Memfis. It looks way worse now than it was before.

Wow.

Well, uh, my 2 cents: the lighting variation around the outer walls helps a little, but most of the ceiling is still a flat, consistent height, just with a couple of smallish bits sticking up or down, which just draw further attention to the unnatural flatness of the rest of the ceiling. Big, sweeping shapes across the ceiling, sections at different heights stretching from one wall to another, etc. would make a big difference aesthetically if implemented properly. The plain red pebble texture/flat and fullbright lighting across a lot of it also don't help create the appearance of depth and structure.

It might be a better idea in the future to ask for more input if you're not getting results you like, rather than flinging shit at the people who gave you advice.

Heh, no worries. I always forget to do the ceiling when doing the floor, and always forget to do the floor when doing the ceiling. Mapping is like designing a house, almost. I'm good with floor plans and all but rarely do I fix ceilings.

To quote KevinHEZ:

I'm not going to please everyone, am i right?

Apples and oranges guys, let's just forget all this, everyone has his own style

I don't mind. Ceilings in doom, unless they're low enough to block stuff, serve no other purpose than eye-candy (I like eye-candy too).

Hurricyclone said:

Thanks for your FABULOUS monging, Memfis.

Wow man, Memfis gives you some nice criticism and you turn into a baboon rolling around in its own feces. You want someone to shit on your work? I can easily do that. That map looks like complete garbage. O' let us count the ways. The ceiling is one bland flat pile of crap with a few bits of "detail" highlighting the complete lack of structural ideas. The room is effectively a box with shit in it. The perimeter walls are continuous with almost nothing to break them up save for a flat secondary ring that stays at the same height (excluding one height change that then stays the same height) the whole way round and does nothing. The Huy Pham lava pillars look like crap as the top has no bulk to it, they shall now be dubbed the asterisks of shit. Every single texture choice except for REDROCK and LAVA is garbage for massive tiling structures further highlighting how shit the scene looks. Finally the lighting has zero depth and lets us see just how ugly the thing fully is. Also the monster placement (especially massive sniping towers of hell knights) shows zero knowledge about doom whatsoever. Please delete and start over.

Final Score:
0/100 Huy Phams

Tarnsman said:

Wow man, Memfis gives you some nice criticism and you turn into a baboon rolling around in its own feces. You want someone to shit on your work? I can easily do that. That map looks like complete garbage. O' let us count the ways. The ceiling is one bland flat pile of crap with a few bits of "detail" highlighting the complete lack of structural ideas. The room is effectively a box with shit in it. The perimeter walls are continuous with almost nothing to break them up save for a flat secondary ring that stays at the same height (excluding one height change that then stays the same height) the whole way round and does nothing. The Huy Pham lava pillars look like crap as the top has no bulk to it, they shall now be dubbed the asterisks of shit. Every single texture choice except for REDROCK and LAVA is garbage for massive tiling structures further highlighting how shit the scene looks. Finally the lighting has zero depth and lets us see just how ugly the thing fully is. Also the monster placement (especially massive sniping towers of hell knights) shows zero knowledge about doom whatsoever. Please delete and start over.

Final Score:
0/100 Huy Phams

That was brutal man. '-'

KevinHEZ said:

That was brutal man. '-'

I've seen him do worse :P (edit: or better, depending on how you look at it)

Was it only me who thought Hurricyclone was just pissing around? I don't see how anyone could seriously think that the "after" screenshot looked worse than the "before" one.

Eris I was :).

TBH, the only reason I pissed on Memfis is that he said that all of my screenshots have the same things, the flatness and fine-tuned detail, and I believe that this is my least (or one of my least) flat levels so far. You actually drop into this room Spirit-World style :).

And I actually deserved that, Tarns. Thanks :).

EDIT: and yes this is a generic slaughter map. Really can't say any more about it :p. I think I'm honing over to "that" side of mapping now.

See, when I point out that something is architecturally bland I simply don't do as good a job of it as Tarnsman. I'm glad this thread isn't all just mindless circle-jerks as that doesn't help anybody in the long run.

Good job Tarnsman and also good job Nuxius - a 5-year dev time is unthinkable for me, so to see somebody sticking at something is inspiring. Even more so when you've demonstrated proper sweeping architecture for us at an opportune moment!

BloodyAcid said:

Well damn I have some reading to catch up to.

Sadly the thread that everyone was crapping their pants about seems to be gone. A damn shame, I so wanted to actually see that. A good guess from other people's comments is just not enough.

Boom compatible map im working on while finishing some concept for my orange and red theme level!
Using only stock textures...and there's a small error in screen 1.

@hurricyclone Breaking up flat ceilings in large open lava caverns can take a bit of work, here's my attempt from the nova project:

Its tricky because when the ground is mainly lava then of course it will be flat, so you have to get a bit creative dividing it into random rocky sectors. You don't have to make something that looks super real (it never will in doom) but just visually busy enough for the eye to dismiss it as random organic shapes in the peripheral vision (which the brain will then ignore as being natural).

Another thing is to use lower lighting. Its tempting to think that because there is lava it should be bright, but brightness is only created by being next to something dark, so doesn't have to be that bright to stand out if the surroundings are very gloomy. The gloom also helps to hide flatness of large areas of wall/ceiling, and in a large room having the distance obscured by low lighting helps to give a sense of scale and realism.

playing around with bush models and skyboxes. i also managed to create motion blur with gzdoom, which i'm demonstrating here. also did some small terrain effects.

--

Also, awesome shot, mouldy.