Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Isn't it found in Eternal Doom IV too?

I think these colors were also used for the Satyr before he got new sprites in KDIZD.

Demon of the Well said:

On that note, I also like the sense of space and scale in your outdoor shot there, Gemini09, but it looks like it needs some additional lighting work done--some folks don't appreciate big monotextured areas like that in Doom because of tiling/tessellation issues, but I think they can be very striking/pleasing visually (even when they use few textures or textures that don't tile particularly well) with some skillful lighting choices.

Thanks for your feedback.

The map isn't done, so I should be able to improve the lighting.

I'm currently reworking on the area between the two lava falls, and I do plan to improve the "organic flow" of the rock architecture as well.

Demon of the Well said:

That's brilliant, NaturalTvventy, really. Looks like the same map you posted a shot from last time (and it's been a while), but now with more lighting in place. And what a difference it makes.

Thanks homie! Yep, it's the same map. As per usual NT style, it's growing way out of hand.

As some people might have guessed; I'm really loving using pink lately haha. I guess it's because it fits into the 80's sci fi vision of what the future might be like.... as portrayed by movies like Blade Runner and Akira...

DOOM
DESOLATION
HIGH TECHNOLOGY
NEON LIGHTS

Sometimes I wonder if I'm still mapping for the right game haha.

Latest screenshot:

cue some more retro synth music:

ps: great stuff NaturalTvventy, love the atmosphere man ;)

DeathevokatioN said:

As some people might have guessed; I'm really loving using pink lately haha. I guess it's because it fits into the 80's sci fi vision of what the future might be like.... as portrayed by movies like Blade Runner and Akira...

DOOM
DESOLATION
HIGH TECHNOLOGY
NEON LIGHTS

Looks pretty sweet! Wonder if you'd ever thought of making some neon dystopian city maps while channeling your current music tastes.

...and Woolie Wool, your stuff is nice too. A little bit plain, not sure whether it's meant to be, or you are just a beginner, but nvm

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought of it as a Gothic theme actually. Aside from some Gothic textures, I'm going for more of a Plutonia/Aztec look with this one. If I can keep this up though, there should be some very Gothic maps eventually.
Since I decided I'm done with this room, here's another one.

Sure it's a bit obvious, but I don't think of it as a trap. I think of it as a reason to use the new weapon as soon as you get it.

it seems as though I've started ZDoom mapping for the very first time.

with a jokemap of sorts with an interesting story and adventure :).

Katamori said:

...and Woolie Wool, your stuff is nice too. A little bit plain, not sure whether it's meant to be, or you are just a beginner, but nvm

I suppose you could call me a "beginner" since that's the only SP Doom map I've actually finished (I did a couple of really awful DM maps and I'm a fairly accomplished Wolfenstein mapper with over 100 released maps) and I basically relearned how to map to make it. However, I intentionally went for a rather sparse, Romero-like style with it. Spending hours and hours putting greebles on the walls doesn't appeal to me, I've been down that road before. I made a few Skulltag SP maps in 2004 or 2005 that never got released, they had like 8000 linedefs but bland, boxy layouts.

Eris Falling said:

Thanks. I wouldn't have thought of it as a Gothic theme actually. Aside from some Gothic textures, I'm going for more of a Plutonia/Aztec look with this one. If I can keep this up though, there should be some very Gothic maps eventually.

Do a Gothic SP map with the gray stone and black metal textures.

Dooooooo iiiiiiiit

Hurricyclone said:

it seems as though I've started ZDoom mapping for the very first time.

with a jokemap of sorts with an interesting story and adventure :).

Not ugly enough. Add more slopes, border flats, and red/blue color contrast. Make it look like Tormentor667's Detail Guide puked all over your maps.

Some sort of idea I have going for an E2M2-ish warehouse/crate maze section of a level. The waffle iron pattern with the big fluorescent lights above, crates galore below.

The walls are kind of blank but all the crates will likely distract from that.

EDIT:

Better idea. Light fixtures will be added at various points along the STARBRN wall to add visual interest.

And finally, awaiting texture alignment and crates:

And finally...

The brown paneling is only on one side of the warehouse so far because I have to decide how the other half (which is inaccessible from the start) will connect to the rest of the map.

Woolie Wool said:

Not ugly enough. Add more slopes, border flats, and red/blue color contrast. Make it look like Tormentor667's Detail Guide puked all over your maps.

ah, but you see, the large amount of rancid detail is part of the map story. there's an interesting moral about detail at the very end which I won't spoil. still don't know how to do slopes as of yet but i'll try to figure it out myself as well as the other ZDoom stuff that I've never done before. :)

btw apologies if that cursor in the screenies is too big. I forgot to turn it off.

Obsidian said:

Action 181: Plane Align Slope. Here's a video if you need a visual guide.

Barring that, in 04 I made a wad to teach Scuba Steve how to use slopes..which he never used. That bastard. :P