• More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

joe-ilya said:

MAP12 of my project :
http://i.imgur.com/j8xL42cl.png

This is a third of the map, inspired by C-cooper and katamori.

Me? If yes, then I wonder what level of mine you've been inspired by. Anyway, keep it up Joe, looks like you're gradually improving when it comes to the architecture. But some of the texture choices still have a bit too much mid-90s madness to them ;)

Chris Hansen said:

Me? If yes, then I wonder what level of mine you've been inspired by. Anyway, keep it up Joe, looks like you're gradually improving when it comes to the architecture. But some of the texture choices still have a bit too much mid-90s madness to them ;)

That's right, I officialy started to work on it for the "guess what mapper(s) was inspired" thread but the project didn't go so well, it became deaf after 2 pages, so I just left it in my folder unused up until now just because I want to finish my unfinished and unofficial maps.

What texturing doesn't work well? I bet the DOORSTOP and the red key pillar, am I right or am I missing something? Good to hear from you. I'm inspired by all of your maps.

Thanks Joe. Well, I could give you some precise and more in-depth advice here, but I think you can find lots of way better and more detailed guidelines in other threads here on DW. Advice on how to make maps is dangerous ground, as we all have our own ways of doing things and taste is a very subjective (and delicate) matter.

But I will say this, that when looking at your levels and screenshots, I think you need to make better use of contrast, lighting, color themes and suitable textures for given structures. Let's just delve a bit deeper into it and I'll try and keep it as brief as possible.

You often use textures that aren't always the best choice for simple, larger structures. Try using bigger textures for big surfaces and keep textures like doorstop for detailing. More on textures later.

Lighting goes a long way to break the monotony. A large wall with a lamp near it, casting it's light on it will instantly create mood in the scene. Take a look at Paul Corfiatis' Doomed Star Wars project for good examples of this. All the textures he's working with are grey, black and a bit drab, but through lots of effective lighting effects, he still manages to create stunning, interesting and moody scenes!

I have also noticed that you often use very brown textures. I know, there's a ton of them in Doom and especially in Doom 2, but be careful which ones you choose for which building etc. Some of them have very different themes despite being largely the same tone of color. Try forcing yourself to use as few as possible, and only use the ones that are in a similar style. I think you're sometimes a bit all over the place and want to do too much. Focus a bit more on a theme and polish it. When I make levels, I go over the same areas again and again and again. Sometimes I go back and change huge portions of a map in terms of textures just because I feel they are out of place and look bad. That's partly the reason why I take months to complete a level even though I've been doing this for (too many) years :) Yes, I am very guilty of making levels that use a lot of different textures, but I always try re-use them a lot and keep them spreadout throughtout a level. I really should write a lot more on this subject, as I'm in imminent danger of being a hypocrite here ;)

The last thing I'll say is the dreaded concept of detail. This has been discussed countless times and is a delicate matter! It isn't the amount of crazy detail that makes a difference, it's how you use it within the context of a level. A relatively simple scene, such as the one from your screenshot, can be lifted visually with the before mentioned lighting effects, but also through slight touches of so-called eyecandy here and there. It doesn't have to be all over the place, just carefully selected touches that help set and further develop the scene. It's really hard to explain, and you're probably best helped by taking a look at what more experienced mappers do and mimicking them. Along the way you'll imagine and find your own personal ways of doing this.

Take all my advice with a grain of salt! They are not rules in any way, because you can always find examples that contradict what I've said. And I've only briefly touched the topics. As I mentioned, these topics can be delved much deeper into. What I am really just aiming at here, is to help you with some general advice. Someone else might find it completely useless. And perhaps, rightfully so ;) Feel free to send me a mail or a PM if you want further exlanation or advice. I have deliberately not touched the subject of gameplay, as this is purely about making things look better :)

This got a bit longwinded, as SteveD would say, so I better stop here while it makes just an ounce of meaning ;)

LigH said:

But I do not even know where to see how many posts I have... in my title?

You can see how many posts anyone has very easily. It's displayed as invisible text right underneath everyone's avatar (or their title if they're avatarless). Just highlight the text and viola, postcount.

ÜberGewei is creating his new ZDcity2 and told me to map myself a house if I wanted to. I love dopefishes, couldn't avoid it...

Still needs more work... the teeth are the access door. Will post interior images soon :P

I wonder if a Rhinoduck house is feasible...

Edit: also, rhinoduck is in first ZDcity in a secret laboratory, trying to power up a giant rubberduck to attack the city... :3

According to the feedback, this is supposed to look like this instead.

I was actually inspired by downtown and lowhigh5.

Just some old school themed Slaughter wad i'm working on:

This is my first attempt at a Slaughter wad btw.

Looks good Breezeep, tho I think that revenant could use some head room. hehe

lol @ the dopefish, Alteus.

Interesting Memfis. I want an editor that looks like that. ;)

Was messing about in DoomCad51 for olde times sake...

Hey guys
I heard you like playing Hangar
So I composed you Hangar
so Hangar can play when you play Hangar

Breezeep said:

Just some old school themed Slaughter wad i'm working on:

[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/QTedP5jl.png[IMG]
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/1p3Vr3Fl.png[IMG]

This is my first attempt at a Slaughter wad btw.

I like the blue sky and I'm doing my first slaughter map as well(not the one below)
------------------------------------------------------------------
The other half of MAP12 of my "lost Joe maps" project.

Scypek2 said:

Hey guys
I heard you like playing Hangar
So I composed you Hangar
so Hangar can play when you play Hangar
[IMG]http://i.imgur.com/vbuONED.png[IMG]

Where's the download? :( Will you do a thread or something?

joe-ilya said:

I like the blue sky and I'm doing my first slaughter map as well(not the one below)
------------------------------------------------------------------
The other half of MAP12 of my "lost Joe maps" project.
*insert images here*

Thanks for the comment, joe! Your map looks old school so far! Keep it up!

Egregor said:

Who wants to go camping?! Bonus: Vanilla Heretic!

I like the aesthetic, forest is definitely a challenging environment to create with sector-based detailing.

Ribbiks said:

I like the aesthetic, forest is definitely a challenging environment to create with sector-based detailing.

I'm impressed. Not only does it simply please the eyes, but it's got to be the most believable forest I've ever seen depicted in the Doom engine. Nice work Egregor, not only accomplishing it without slopes, but even within vanilla's visplane limit.