Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

again from that bizzare troll episode i'm working...

and another death match mini-episode i'm working on:

walter confalonieri said:

again from that bizzare troll episode i'm working...

The pixelated sky looks absolutely horrible on the screenshots, it hurts my eyes. Might it not be that bad ingame? Maybe it isn't, I don't know.

Other than that, the supposedly "bizarre / troll" architecture looks rather average. The DM one's a little too bland, SHAWN texture tiling this way is ugly. But it's possible that either of them can eventually turn out well.

scifista42 said:

The pixelated sky looks absolutely horrible on the screenshots, it hurts my eyes. Might it not be that bad ingame? Maybe it isn't, I don't know.

Its a troll map, maybe it is supposed to look like that? I don't know.

I'll sure follow your advice about that, scifista

Uhm... ok, i'll check out if there's some other weird looking sky around... Actually that sky comes out from Quake, but unluckily the version from that sky it was a GIF format, then turned into a bmp and then into the doom format, so yeah it come out kind of bad... howevr, i'll see to change that...

About trolling with architecture, you mean something like to put more weird detailing or insane twist that mocks you or something like a complete change of themes like from hell to techbase in the, say, next two room (one room looks techbase to change completely in hellish without notice)? Something like a gggmork map, more than less?

** ATTENTION MAP & SKY DESIGNERS **

http://www.kubische-panoramen.de (cubic panoramas)

The first shots, unfortunately, contain mostly buildings. But later you can also find some rather empty landscapes, and even panorama shots from inside caves! Wouldn't that be some new experience, setting a theme surrounded by dripstones?

walter confalonieri said:

About trolling with architecture, you mean something like to put more weird detailing or insane twist that mocks you or something like a complete change of themes like from hell to techbase in the, say, next two room (one room looks techbase to change completely in hellish without notice)? Something like a gggmork map, more than less?

Maybe. Or anything else. The more un-generic, the better, I'd say (unless you try to make a joke on genericity, which is usually cheap). But it's your project.

Apropos ... do you remember any maps where you start in a rather common-looking (e.g. techbased) room, do some deeds elsewhere, (supposedly) return to that room, and the more you do elsewhere, the more this room changes towards hellish (possibly made with different copies of that room if changing textures and sectors would be hard to achieve)?

ICARUS MAP32 was close to what I had in mind. It looks unsuspicious, you head to the corner, turn around and ... uhm, something is different.

But I wouldn't mind more subtle changes each time you return to that starting room (or a rather unobvious copy of it), and not necessarily witnessing the change; maybe supposedly always the same teleporter, but leading elsewhere each time you pass it (certainly easier to do with copies of rooms), and changing the starting room in a different way, always a little more to the worse, each time you return to it.

I remember a slightly incomplete project built around a kind of central station you return to after passing a few maps, continuing to another train to reach a next perimeter station or so... That was not in one map, but across a whole episode. I don't recall the name, but I am quite certain it had custom textures. Something similar, just much smaller, in one large map, would be interesting.

Threshold of Pain MAP06 did something similar, where you're in a techbase, go along this corridor, go into a room, take key, go back along corridor, suddenly you're in Hell.

It's easier to do it in ZDoom where you can script enough stuff to directly transform the map, but it should also be possible in Boom through using silent teleports. Get through a corridor (we'll call it corridor A), a door closes behind you, then you cross a silent teleport that leads you to corridor B. Then you do some stuff, find a switch that opens the door in corridor B, and behind that door there's the hellish copy of the base.

If you're really enterprising, you should be able to even do it in vanilla. But that's not going to be easy to map. Floor sectors will need to be joined to dummies so that they can be shifted up and/or down to change their textures with the appropriate line specials. Wall textures cannot be changed, so instead you'll have to raise or lower thin sectors along the walls, either sinking the techbase walls to reveal hellish textures, or covering them up. You'll have to use a lot of tags to do all that, and it'll take a lot of trial and error to make the transformation work right. Especially if you go for an as-detailed-as-limits-allow look like in BTSX or SID...

It's a fun gimmick. I've experimented with it a few times, including in vanilla Doom. Donut action is good for changing the floors.

I thought it was a glitch. I personally wouldn't leave it in, anyway.

Otherwise there's nothing particularly impressive or special on those shots (apart from unusual textures), but they're not bad either.

This reminds of the "Satan has spoken to me" thread earlier this year (or last year, can't recall when that was). Ah great times.

Seeing Doom 64 weapon sprites in a PSX Doom map seems like an interesting thing to do, maybe I'll make a Doom 64 weapon sprite mod for use with PSX Doom and try it.

Honestly Mrthejoshmon, I don't know why you didn't just submit a map to Final Doomtwid. The rules for the TNT side of things are much more relaxed than usual, and that doesn't look too bad :/

Marcaek said:

Honestly Mrthejoshmon, I don't know why you didn't just submit a map to Final Doomtwid. The rules for the TNT side of things are much more relaxed than usual, and that doesn't look too bad :/

I was thinking about it but I don't think I would be able to make the map good enough for that project.