Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

Whee splat.

I'd recommend lowering the ceiling a bit in the centre so you don't see the abrupt cutoff of that texture. That DRSILV texture needs some aligning as well.

@ mrthejoshmon:

Alignment may be hard with such big sandstone blocks; check the second shot, the "window frame" in the right half: Isn't that low left slice a bit narrow? Well, not sure if that would get obvious during gameplay, but here, in the forum, I have time to study your work.

So I'm back with another batch of screens from my in-progress double wad, Escape from the Fortress of Count Reifert. This is the second map which still has loads of work to go, but there's plenty to show off. Again I gathered the pics without monsters around. Let me know what you think.

Spoiler

The next four are from the scrapyard section.

That last one shows a busted up table.

There are so many, let's break it up into separate sets:
Spoiler

Gez said:

I think that sandstone brick texture works better in low light levels. It's a bit garish in bright light.

Yes, yes it is very garish.

The problem I am having is that the sand bricks are being used in large outdoor areas and in some very bright places and I really want to use the Egyptian textures... Anyway I have dulled the lights around most areas indoors significantly so it is (at the very least) not complete and utter eye devastation all over the place.

LigH said:

@ mrthejoshmon:

Alignment may be hard with such big sandstone blocks; check the second shot, the "window frame" in the right half: Isn't that low left slice a bit narrow? Well, not sure if that would get obvious during gameplay, but here, in the forum, I have time to study your work.

Thanks for pointing that out, that looks absolutely horrendous! I went on to fix that problem by adding metal bars to the windows to hide the issues and give the windows more character:

-

Also these:

Helpful symbols so you at least know what activates what:

And the most "totally nothing will go wrong" looking room I have ever conceived (Hint, everything will go wrong):

(This room needs a bit more work on the ceiling and walls, so I guess that last shot is very WIP)

Are you dead set against adding new textures? It might be worth it to replace those with a less noisy texture with the same general color and brick pattern.

yeah, TNT as they are, those tan bricks are pretty awful haha. otherwise it all looks really nice though!

Avoozl said:

Is that custom brick texture supposed to be sandstone?

Its not a custom tex, its a tnt stock one.

mrthejoshmon said:

Yes, yes it is very garish.

Exactly. Now you just need to do something about it. Like replacing those brick textures with ones that are much better looking :)

Here's three examples from retres.wad:

Thanks. Yeah, UDMF. I had a portal in there with some Castlevania type spires in the background, but it stopped working when I started going sector crazy around the edges of the open area.

Ed said:

Thanks. Yeah, UDMF. I had a portal in there with some Castlevania type spires in the background, but it stopped working when I started going sector crazy around the edges of the open area.

For it to stop working like that it must have been a ton of sectors. Looking forward to this one.