Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

@Dutch Devil: Looks awesome, as usual! It really needs light transfers though. I know you're doing this for limit-removing, but I can't think of any ports that are still relevant that remove limits but don't support Boom features. You know you want to :P

lupinx-Kassman said:

Here are some shots of a megawad for limit-removing ports I am attempting to make (probably not going to be 32 levels, as only 2 maps and a half are done, but ill see how far I go).

Awesome! Please don't stop :P

esselfortium said:

@Dutch Devil: Looks awesome, as usual! It really needs light transfers though. I know you're doing this for limit-removing, but I can't think of any ports that are still relevant that remove limits but don't support Boom features. You know you want to :P

You are evil youre like an little devil sitting on my shoulders whispering in my ear trying to convince me :P

If I change format I do not think I will make good use of the boom tricks mainly stuff to enhance the looks of the maps.I would like to use colored lighting and the light transfer trick and maybe some other things.

Are custom weapons possible without replacing any of the other ones?

Butts see PM.

I think colored lighting is pretty lame without GL features (not that I personally like GL lighting in DOOM's environment much... but the colored lighting can be implemented correctly with it).

esselfortium said:
@Dutch Devil: Looks awesome, as usual! It really needs light transfers though. I know you're doing this for limit-removing, but I can't think of any ports that are still relevant that remove limits but don't support Boom features.

Unless they're having huge (65+ KB) blockmaps they should be perfectly usable in Doom2+, and besides, Boom stuff breaks Doom compatibility for demos in PrBoom even if the maps are of greater size, giving Boom/quirks instead of Doom's (where they differ).

dutch devil said:

In ZDoom, Eternity, EDGE and whatnot they are. In Doom and Boom you are limited to two shotguns, two melee weapons (maybe you could alter the types... but the selection numbers would be odd) and five other weapons because you can't grab or select any additional weapons, even if you were able to somehow hack a weapon in using frames otherwise not used.

dutch devil said:

You are evil youre like an little devil sitting on my shoulders whispering in my ear trying to convince me :P

If I change format I do not think I will make good use of the boom tricks mainly stuff to enhance the looks of the maps.I would like to use colored lighting and the light transfer trick and maybe some other things.

Butts see PM.

Heh, have you played Phobos: Anomaly Reborn? The texturing and theming is weird (e1-style textures mixed in with gothictx stuff, wtf), but it's full of all sorts of crazy Boom tricks. Moving lights, basins that fill up with water (complete with crates that rise up and float), silent-teleport underwater sections, fake translucent flats (translucent midtextures aligned into the floor), and plenty of other stuff I'm sure I missed because I only skimmed through it. <_<

And no, can't do new weapons :(

esselfortium said:

Heh, have you played Phobos: Anomaly Reborn? The texturing and theming is weird (e1-style textures mixed in with gothictx stuff, wtf), but it's full of all sorts of crazy Boom tricks. Moving lights, basins that fill up with water (complete with crates that rise up and float), silent-teleport underwater sections, fake translucent flats (translucent midtextures aligned into the floor), and plenty of other stuff I'm sure I missed because I only skimmed through it. <_<

And no, can't do new weapons :(

Not sure if I played Phobos: Anomaly Reborn the tilte sounds very familiar, I do have an boom demo wad around here somewhere which shows most if not all boom features.

Sometimes I miss the almighty power of zdoom for new enemies and weapons :p

dutch devil said:

Given that you are relatively productive nothing is really stopping you from using it (for some maps, at least)...

dutch devil said:

Not sure if I played Phobos: Anomaly Reborn the tilte sounds very familiar, I do have an boom demo wad around here somewhere which shows most if not all boom features.

Well, P:AR takes the basic Boom features and abuses them to create lots of cool effects that aren't really the standard.

Or you could always map for Eternity :D

myk said:

Given that you are relatively productive nothing is really stopping you from using it (for some maps, at least)...

Well one thing does its that my project can't be played on any other port apart from zdoom, I would like to give players the option of playing it on any port they like.

dutch devil said:
Well one thing does its that my project can't be played on any other port apart from zdoom, I would like to give players the option of playing it on any port they like.

That applies to Boom as well, but you can always do smaller side projects with specific engines. You signed up to CC4, for example, where you could take the opportunity to make a Boom level, as that project aims for Boom compatibility.

I never really made an good boom level with that I mean one that made good use of boom features, I've always have been sticking close to plain doom 2 format but limit removing.

But I would like to try an more advanced boom map with CC4.

In my early days I was mapping for doom95 I didn't knew any better, I had never heard of sourceports before and the limitations of doom95 limited my creativity alot.Thank God those days are in the past nothing was more frustrating than having to remove rooms because of that blasted hall of mirror effect that would show up.On many occasions this was my biggest fear when I was about to test my map, now I can let my creativity go crazy I love that.

I posted 2 photos back on page 4 ... and I tried several times over the last week to upload, but every time it says someone from my IP is already connected. I'm on a cable modem that only this computer uses, so something must not be configured right. I know I'm gonna get flamed but I didn't see anything about multiple connection errors in the /newstuff FAQ. I have uploaded them on my freehost site at:

http://deldelda.t35.com/AAHHNUTS.txt

and

http://deldelda.t35.com/AAHHNUTS.zip

If anyone wants to upload them to /newstuff for me, please do so and let me know when you do so I can delete them from my t35.

deldelda said:

I posted 2 photos back on page 4 ... and I tried several times over the last week to upload, but every time it says someone from my IP is already connected. I'm on a cable modem that only this computer uses, so something must not be configured right.

My guess is that whatever you're using to upload tries to take advantage of multiple parallel connections. We had a problem a few months back where someone was hogging the connections (there are only 5 open, as we really don't want people downloading from the master) and no one could upload for a couple of weeks. Therefore there is now a 1-per-IP limit.

Some people could end up going through a common proxy and end up with what appeared to be the same IP (AOL users had that problem for a while), but from your description that wouldn't apply to you so I think it's a local setting on your end.

In any case, GreyGhost uploaded your file and I have merged it into the archive--should show up on mirrors within a few hours/days/months. Okay, within 24 hours.

I shaved some more on this room it looks better now, besides this I've added an whole bunch of new rooms.There is not an whole lot more left to do just an few more rooms to build, then its time to work on gameplay.

The old design:

The new one:

And an mapshot of the same map.

i like it, that new area seems to have that fleshy stuff creeping along. wow, that would be cool if you made the flesh stuff actually "creep"

on the editor shot, you seem to be missing solid gray in some areas.

heh, the map looks really good, im eager to see this completed.

Or a crappy node builder, I had a map do that some how. It was pretty cool to look at though. It reminded me of the effect when two mirrors reflect an image off each other.

Creaphis said:

If you can cause that effect on purpose, that could make some awesome levels.

I wish I could :(

The first map is from 2000 and the second map is from 1997. Both were made with the same version of DeeP from 1995. Coincidence?

I'm sure it wouldn't be hard for someone who really understands node building to program a builder that does that and more.

Prince of Darkness said:

It's a...FLYING BUSHWACKER!

Those clanners won't know what hit them >:)

/classic battletech

Heh, temp sprite for now, trying to find a mech-ish one that looks like a flyer :P

Steeveeo said:

Heh, temp sprite for now, trying to find a mech-ish one that looks like a flyer :P

You could always use the old LAM's ;)

The Champion also looked like a Jump jetted design (I was surprised that it doesn't have any) and the Scorpion refits (from the Project Phoenix TRO) could be used as well.