Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

TomoAlien said:

Over 9000 hours in Doom Builder... i can't do that much detail no matter what.

I would convert that into multiple megawads instead of the 10 or so maps kyka's made or intends ;) (I think it's ten or so right?).

@ kyka; The second and last shot look awesome, think I recognize the last one somewhat. And please back it up, don't want what happened to rf' happening to you, although it's been in dev so long I bet you've already had to deal with something ;)

EDIT: @ kristus; besides maybe the grates in the corridor shot and the floor with the random computer parts, it looks pretty vanilla/recolor to me ...

ArmouredBlood said:

EDIT: @ kristus; besides maybe the grates in the corridor shot and the floor with the random computer parts, it looks pretty vanilla/recolor to me ...

So?

Super Jamie said:
That looks so rad, I love the red color scheme mixing with the silvers.

I'm expecting a flag somewhere and another similar section with blue details instead...

thanks for the comments/feedback guys. Much appreciated.

@ArmoredBlood. I actually have all 32 levels planned out in my head, but I will release what I have after this map is done. One episode at a time. Otherwise it *should* get done around 2035. Also, everything is backed up, both to a flash drive, and SuperJamie is good enough to keep backups for me also.

@Mech. Don't worry Mech, every wall decoration is impassable. It's habit for me now to make everything impassable. :)

kristus said:

Kyka said:
1)Lots of Screenies.
2)Ripped Doom3 textures.
3)???
4)Boooo.

I honestly did not realise this.

My texture resources for this map (and the whole project) are:
(Listed from credits.txt)

1)Stock Doom 2 textures

2)From (http://www.doomworld.com/afterglow/textures.shtml)

Recoloured Doom by Nick Baker.
Gray textures by Nick Baker
Useful Flats by Nick Baker
Silver Textures by Nick Baker
5th Episode by Nick Baker
deConstruct industrial textures by stecki
mortres by Nick Baker and Sam Woodman.

3)Claustrophobia 1024 Texture pack.

4) A couple of textures from Doom Advent Calendar 2005 Texture WAD (recently released on a thread here somewhere)

5) Additional assorted textures by:
Enjay (The three SHAWN-based computer patches)
Ed (EDGREEN, EDGREENA, EDGREENB)
Super Jamie Recolors (COMPRED1, 2, 3, 4, 5, COMPGRAY)

6)NDCP 2 Texture pack.

So how any Doom 3 rips got in there, they must have come through one of these sources. Coz I know I haven't ripped any textures myself. I wouldn't even know how.

I never liked the standard texture recolors at all, but i gotta admit other than that those screens look awesome, it feels like you know precisely what you do (which might or might not be the case?).

rf` said:

I've got incredibly bad news. My computer had a stroke the other day. Harddrive is fried, as is the power supply. I just rebuilt a junky computer for now, but I lost that project. In fact, I lost everything I did between now and last December. Thankfully I still have the latest version of my heretic project, so thank god for small favors. :>

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And I was so excited about that Descent project too!

Computers, eh? Can't live with them.

Seriously, rf' that's bad craic. I've been there.

@Kyka: Nice work, mate! It'll look even better with proper gamma settings :P

Woolie Wool said:

NOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO!

And I was so excited about that Descent project too!

I saved very very little of it on my photobucket account--mostly older versions of sprite sheets. I know how to remake everything. I just have to will myself to do it again. :>

damn Im getting inspired by looking at other peoles work. Need to finish my current one and start on something new ASAP! My fingers itch!

@Six ... do I sense a little Doom 64 inspiration here?

@Kyka: It looks fine, be assured.
However. I think the design you've chosen is of the simplistic style. The red color can be replaced by basically ANY color of the spectrum and look equally fine. This is the easiest color composition you can do, aside from being strictly B&W, or "dogshit-brown and gunmetal gray".

The fact that you didn't choose the latter suggest that you are looking for more. Which makes me hope that you will push your boundaries further.

Patrick said:

@Six ... do I sense a little Doom 64 inspiration here?

My main inspiration was from... well, nothing actually. I just sorta had general ideas in mind that haven't really been undertaken often in map design, and i just expanded beyond it a bit.

Super Jamie said
Wow, looks nice! Hope it plays nice as well :)

Thanks! But... Recently one portion of the map fucked up, and although i've tried to fix the problems, it goes and creates new ones in attempts to do so, one's i really can't grasp, so right now bawww.

Screw it.

Edit: Fixed it, after nearly 2 damn hours. Glad i didn't completely give up in the end. But anyway, development continues.

A generator room in "Tartarus Anomaly." I'm having a little progress. :D

Had to fix the brightness a little, but it looks fine in game.

I tried to brighten them up a little because the screenshots turn out really dark for some reason. So the contrast is probably all wrong, but we.

The first screenie I've posted an earlier version of before, but it's a little more differenter now.

Second shot is of a totally new area I hammered out today. I went through like two other versions before getting to that one and I think it turned out pretty OK. There's a fucking kickass stairway I did on the other side of that door that you won't get to see for a long time, but believe me it looks gr8.

I'd say I'm about officially 1/3 done with the map now, and I'm up to 756 sectors already. D;

Super Jamie said:

Very tidy :)

Well, I wouldn't expect a bunch of crates and barrels strewn about a generator room. I've made some minor changes since taking that screenshot, and I've tried to break everything up with the columns and all that, but there's not much else I can do now until I get to placing Things. Later I'll probably add some hanging wires and stuff too, maybe. I'm pretty satisfied with how it turned out either way, though.

Unusual cock up during play testing of my custom map in PrBoom+:

i really need fix that misaligned bookcase, which somehow i missed.

Oh! and also there's the problem with one experimental action event that caused me to lose all my weapons (including fist), developing a weird ammunition glitch, not being able to activate anything, and an imp forever imprinted on the left of the screen (it looks like a giant one there though heh).

Wow. That's extremely weird. Can you make a small wad displaying the bug? I am really interested in this. Or at leas a video of it.

Sure thing

Here is a link to the demonstration wad hosted on Mediafire.

As a heads up, when you start the wad, the crushing ceiling at the beginning will reduce your health to 40% or lower, this is required for the glitch to work. Just run straight through it, you don't need to stop under it.

A voodoo doll is required for this to work, but basically what happens is that, if you've taken 60% (or higher) damage, when you activate a crushing ceiling that destroys a barrel, and the splash damage radius is close enough to almost kill you via voodoo, but 'pushes' the voodoo doll into an invulnerability and megasphere power-up almost simultaneously, it causes this unusual glitch in PrBoom+. Nothing unusual happens in Zdoom (which is my default source port), but as for others, i'm not sure, i haven't tried.

As a note, i'm using PrBoom+2.5.0.6, which is the newer release. I'm not sure how this takes effect in earlier versions. Also if the glitch doesn't work straight away, try it again.

Edit: Also you can activate things when the glitch takes effect i've found out.

Yeah, the barrel is too close for Zdoom, just tried it myself, my mistake. If you move the barrel with its sectors to the left a little, it won't cause death, but power you up as intended.

Edit: Just tried it in GlBoom+, just crashes with the error "I_SignalHandler:Exiting on signal:Signal11". This works really well!

A voodoo doll is required for this to work, but basically what happens is that, if you've taken 60% (or higher) damage, when you activate a crushing ceiling that destroys a barrel, and the splash damage radius is close enough to almost kill you via voodoo, but 'pushes' the voodoo doll into an invulnerability and megasphere power-up almost simultaneously

That's quite a stunt.