Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

Post your Doom picture! [post in Part 2 instead]

TomoAlien said:

The grass is blue! But it probably won't be a problem because levels are going to be set in red theme like before... probably.
Anyways you didn't give up on the whole thing even that you lost all the work.

Considering that it's a Descent based mod I expect that the levels will use a wide variety of colors.

ptoing said:

As far as stuff not looking quite right, I would appreciate if you went a bit more into detail, so that I might be able to fix stuff :)

I am happy with the grass to dirt blend. The hextiles to stone/dust/whatever blend is kinda odd as far as logic goes, but it kinda works and it looks quite cool in game when you walk around.

To me it looks kinda messy, almost like it's some weird rendering bug, not a stunning splotch of ingenuity like your grass to dirt.

But I'll take your word for it if you say it looks better moving.

I think i see what you mean, the stone/dust image might need more "noise" or something, make it looks more dusty and remove the big round shapes, that might work better.

Here is what it looks like as flats.

Eh, to be honest, I don't know how you'd do it at all with fading. Tiles breaking up into pebbles don't quite "blend" like that.

Is that square all the way to the right the original flat? I think it looks really nice, but I'm going to feel really dumb if that's the original.

Messed with the door, I think this looks better. Also got around to snagging ultratex. The red cave out the window in the last 2 shots will be the background for the map. And yeah there's a bit much in the latest rush -.-

The 5 blocks on the right are the 5 blending flats from my light hex tile to the grey stone one, so yes, the one on the far right is one of the 2 originals which are being blended.

I agree that breaking up does not work like that. If I think about it as getting covered in dust, then it works for me.
Or demonic merging, whatever :D

I think others have covered what I meant to say (in response to your floor blending issue). I agree that the grass/dirt looks good - I see no problem with that. It was the metal/dust I was thinking of - as others were getting at, I think the blending looks too transparent/translucent when it should be more granular/distinct. Technically, I think that would be much harder to pull off though, as you may have to redraw the whole texture by hand, or find some way of "sprinking" the dirt into the metal without changing the look of the original underlying texture itself. I think it's just the transparency/fade factor that makes it look strange (though that should definnitely work with liquids)...

kristus said:

I'm no expert on weapons, but I am pretty sure that is not an Uzi.

I think the closest thing to it is a Steyr TMP, but in-game I just call it an SMG.

kristus said:

I'm no expert on weapons, but I am pretty sure that is not an Uzi.

It is a Uzi. A full sized one that has a foregrip for some reason.

Pretty ok for a short second attempt actually.

Just out of curiosity, are those lit rectangular areas on the ceiling in screenshot two intentional? If not, there's a method to mask them.

No they're not intentional. I'd love to mask them, but didn't think that was possible. Any links would be appreciated!

Here is a demonstration wad displaying the masking affect. Essentially how this works is that if you raise the ceiling to a specific height, and in doing this not texturing the sidedefs, it'll cause the surrounding ceiling to 'bleed' over the risen sector, masking the brightness. The floor isn't affected, so it creates quite a neat effect.

In that wad i had risen the ceiling to about 64 units, but i haven't tested different heights, or large scaled lit areas. But yeah, it's really as simple as that, just make sure not to texture the sidedefs.

Very TNT-ish, which isn't a bad thing; I always liked the visual style of that mapset. :) Keep it up!

Six said:

Here is a demonstration wad displaying the masking affect. Essentially how this works is that if you raise the ceiling to a specific height, and in doing this not texturing the sidedefs, it'll cause the surrounding ceiling to 'bleed' over the risen sector, masking the brightness. The floor isn't affected, so it creates quite a neat effect.

In that wad i had risen the ceiling to about 64 units, but i haven't tested different heights, or large scaled lit areas. But yeah, it's really as simple as that, just make sure not to texture the sidedefs.

Neat little tip there that I never would of thought of.

Six said:

Awesome! Thanks a bunch, I'm gonna have to go over the whole level again, just to fix things up now. But it'll be worth it. Thanks!

And yeah, it struck me earlier this morning that it's a bit TNTish. Infact, so far the entire mapset is. I kinda like TNT, tho, so I see no harm in it.

kristus said:

I like this one: http://img61.imageshack.us/my.php?image=map04eabg7.png
Makes me think of a giant heat sink.

I think it's fantastic. Maybe it's the angle and my interpretation but that looks like a really well-made, massive and very original machinery-like structure.

The shot with the 8x8 pillars sticking out from the floor and ceiling was less appealing...

And I was indeed browsing the ye olde screenshots...

edit: this post is intended for Six and EvilNed

Lol, I use that trick on the floor alot (line tag 19 etc) but I never thought of trying it on the ceiling :P

I like the looks of those screens! Old school stuff! And if you are new to mapping and only used a day, its very good.

Six said:

I'm not sure how other source ports handle it or Vanilla (since at the moment I'm using GZdoom)

you can Shift-scroll up by 1 and it should bleed over the sector too, and now you get bullet puffs and rockets blowing up at almost the same height =)

but by doing so the ceiling texture some times popedup, it was fixed by removing the ceiling texture too.

In Vanilla and most other ports you can not have sectors without ceiling/floor textures, so that wont work.

If you use anything that is Boom compatible you can use Light Transfer tho and just make the ceiling darker (or the floor, or whatever), which imo is probably the best thing to do.

In Vanilla the ceiling has to be a bit higher to make sure you never see it, or stuff will look strange. Since you can not shoot up or down in Vanilla the whole getting puffs there business is not important anyway.

ptoing said:

In Vanilla the ceiling has to be a bit higher to make sure you never see it, or stuff will look strange. Since you can not shoot up or down in Vanilla the whole getting puffs there business is not important anyway.

Yeah it was mostly aimed at source ports, and as far as I know I haven't heard anyone else getting that glitch I some times get by raising the ceiling just a tiny bit. the ceiling texture some times pop up all bright like that in GZdoom, that's why I mentioned removing the texture.

[EDIT]

gosh I think I should just get some sleep, I just realized how stupid this is considering I haven't heard anyone else getting that.

Usually if I'm doing floor or ceiling flat-bleeding effects like that, I'll raise or lower it something like 512 or 1024 units, just to get it waaay out of the way and not have to worry about part of it showing through. :P

Here are the completed areas of the screens I posted previously..

The right handed pistol is from Perkristan's Smoother Weapon animations, seen in this thread.

@Armoredblood: I like the look of that new map! Would like to see it in action some time. :)

@rf`: I came. That looks fantastic!