Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bucket

YAY it's time for the "recommend a game" game!

My mom has been playing computer games for a long time now-- ever since we played stuff like Myst and 7th Guest together. She's been able to dig up a WHOLE bunch of similar games from discount racks but she's always looking for more. So I figure I'll help. Here's some criteria:

• Adventure/Puzzle game
  • As far from anything requiring reflexes as possible
  • Simple interface
  • No death or dead ends
  • Interesting story, good graphics
  • Straight-up puzzle games OK, but again no twitch stuff
  • Bonus points if it scares the crap out of her
  • Extra bonus points if it's Star Trek related
  • Extra extra bonus points if it's Dr. Who related
  • Extra extra extra bonus points if it's Blake's 7 etc.
So there. Also, I was wondering if Steam would be a good place to look for those kinds of games. My parents have a pretty current PC, but not top-of-the-line. It could probably run Doom 3, at least.

I'd list old games, but it would go on forever and I have a feeling you guys have played most of those. Sadly, I don't know many new games that fit those criteria. :(

Janitor said:

Portal

Seconded, though that does require some reflexes later on.

I would've thought Portal was good for her too, but no. Seriously, some of you could probably control a keyboard + mouse better with your feet.

I suppose some death is OK, but nothing that would make it impossible to advance.

Jodwin said:

Puzzle Quest? It definitely won't scare anyone, and the story is so-so, but I guess it's worth a mention.

Hmm, that looks kind of interesting. She might like it since she plays AD&D on the weekends. It's not real-time, is it?

Bucket said:

• Adventure/Puzzle game
  • Simple interface
  • No death or dead ends

I won't get any bonus points, and the suggestion's too obvious: those point & click adventure games by Lucasfilm and Lucas Arts.

Pardon me, but how no twitch stuff BUT scary stuff? Okay, don't explain me that there's a difference between jumpiness and fear... I understand it.

I mean puzzle games that get harder (faster) as they progress. Like Tetris. Can't have that.

And yeah, she's had stuff like The Dig and that was cool, but even Full Throttle had action parts.

RHEM 2 and REHM 3

Dunno about REHM 1, since I never played it.

If you want something semi-scary, look into Dark Fall 2: Lights Out. It's kinda odd when it comes to solving certain puzzles (looking in wierd places, going throuh certain wayward books, etc.), but fun nonetheless

Bucket said:

• Adventure/Puzzle game
  • Simple interface
  • No death or dead ends

Sounds like what my sister likes so I'll just name off games I showed her than she enjoyed.

Syberia
Syberia II
The Longest Journey
Nibiru: Age of Secrets
Still Life
The Moment of Silence

There's also 'Hotel Dusk: Room 215', she has to have a DS to play that, though.

Bucket said:

Hmm, that looks kind of interesting. She might like it since she plays AD&D on the weekends. It's not real-time, is it?

There are some "battles" that are real-time, but none of those are necessary to actually beat the game. Kind of a mini game. There's a demo out there somewhere, should be enough to tell whether it's worth it or not.

I would recommend Grim Fandango, as has been stated. Also Sanitarium I found pretty enjoyable, kind of in the same adventure spirit, a bit darker. If I recall correctly I think there's only two spots where you can die, only one requires combat which is pretty easy. I think she might like Legend of Kyrandia as well, I've only played the first but it has two sequels as well. It's a good game, but there are a few spots you can die in, and it can be a bit abstract... I'd recommend a guide for the cave area. Still a good game, even my mom likes it... as well as myst... and the 7th guest.

None of these are really new releases, all in the 90s. The adventure game genre kind of died off, so no real fancy graphics... and most require windows 98 or less, although Sanitarium did run fine on xp.

The Monkey Island series, Gabriel Knight series, Reah and Zork Grand Inquisitor for starters.
For an AD&D fan the Might & Magic and Heroes Chronicles series are worth investigating.

Ye olde Broken Sword off the Playstation, it's possible to die in only (i think) one place, that same place requiring quick reactions. The rest is like a slow-paced mid afternoon detective film on Channel 4*. I beleive there was a pack of the early ones on the PSP recently, or get it in a second hand shop for 2 spond.

Oh, but it's set around Western Europe in the 90's, not Sci-fi

*-turns TV on

Oh yeah, beofre I forget, check out Zork Nemesis if you haven't tried that one

If you gots an Xbox360, get Dead Rising. Does not get old.