Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
printz

Has anyone forgot about Doom after much work on it?

Has anyone who modded a lot for Doom, Heretic and other games, decided they've done enough so they could move on to different stuff?

I for one would only think about forgetting Doom when I make some serious levels, maybe megawads, just to prove I am able...

That doesn't mean the guys/gals wouldn't just play. But it could mean leaving doomworld and stopping mapping.

I could never do that - Doom is about the only game I can really map for. Not that I can't put maps together in other games, but with Doom, it's different. I have this ability to actually see what I want to build, and then just have everything fall into place. Any other game, and I always manage to get stuck at the first room. I dunno what it is, but it's just like severe mapper's block.

I don't plan on even considering leaving until all of my projects are done. And there are like 30 of them, so yeah that won't be any time soon.

geekmarine said:

I could never do that - Doom is about the only game I can really map for.

I may try mapping for Quake (1) if I do a megawad and I still have power...

Well, there are a few people who made good '90 levels but aren't here.

I'm just curious what feeling you get after a big chunk of megawads made.

Signature changed so Quasar's reply doesn't make sense anymore, teehehe (approx. esselfortium's laugh).

Well, I often take breaks from Doom modding to work on stuff for other games (though the only ones I've ever released anything for are the Baldur's Gate games and Oblivion), but Doom always seems to pull me back :).

And yeah, like EarthQuake, I would never "truly" leave until all the projects I'm involved with are complete.. and since I'm technically still a member of the Mordeth E2 team (though I haven't spoken for Gaston for a while now), that won't be for some decades yet :).

I've still got alot of projects most of them are personal projects that I need to finish when those are done or cancelled I think I will be less active with mapping.

I find it hard to map lately there is hardly any motivation to work on my maps I get tired of it pretty early, I've been playing some other games for an while hoping that it will help getting my motivation and enthusiasm back.

I have so many Doom projects started that it will take a millennium to finish them all and I don't see me stopping anytime soon.

I've mapped for Half-Life, Quake, Quake 2, HeXen II, Morrowind and Oblivion but never released anything for games other than Doom. I wanted to map for Blade of Darkness but the editor is a nightmare. Right now I have no desire to map for anything other than Doom and I'm glad to have lots of motivation and inspiration at the moment.

printz said:

Signature changed so Quasar's reply doesn't make sense anymore, teehehe (approx. esselfortium's laugh).

Lolwut

Doom remains the only game where I've finished a major modding project I started. It was one map, but it managed to keep me involved more thoroughly than anything else. :)

I also have a 30-level megawad that I started. I drew a bunch of graphics for it, but discovered that, even after a long period of sporadic work, I still had a lot of work to do with drawing sprites, not to mention the actual maps. All I have is one map and a crapload of textures that most likely won't go to use anytime soon.
:(

I don't think that I'll get away from Doom, because it is so easy to mod. Many years ago I tried to make a mod for Duke 3d, but I quit because I couldn't get my hands to everything in that game, if you know what I mean. :)

I've never truly left Doom, let alone after working on it. Truth be told, I never have really done any projects with it. As of late, I've been tiring somewhat of just PLAYING Doom...In order to keep up my own interest, I'll probably stop playing for a while and take to creating maps. The only problem with that is that I have an intel-based Mac, meaning I don't have editors to run. I'll have to make use of my dad's Gateway. :)

I used to be quite into doom back in 1994-95 as a first-grade kid. Than I forgot all about it and roughly 2 yrs ago was astonished at how alive and well the game was after all these years.

I map only for doom because it's simple and allows for a lot of creativity. I play/map mostly for relaxation, to do something brainless as opposed to high-strung real life. It's a sort of an escape for me. Honestly, I don't think doom is, was or will ever be an important, occupying part of my life.

That said, I did experience some tiredeness and lack of ideas after several hours spent on mapping, that's true.