Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
printz

Modified the Lost Souls, now vanilla Doom crashes when monsters spawn them

With Dehacked I transformed the Lost Soul into a melee nonflying noncharging monster that still disappears after death (it needs to, due to that 20 limit).

Now unfortunately the Lost Soul spawning codepointers make vanilla Doom crash by locking up, sooner or later.

What could be the cause and how is it fixable?

EDIT: could it be that the monsters are using their melee attack while still in emerging motion, thus crashing Doom?

I had a similar problem with, uh...I forget the name. Mauler demons? The pinky-demon variant that has a long-range attack like the Lost Soul's. From when I was making the Knee-Deep in KDiZD dehacked patch. I haven't messed with it in a while, but they would regularly crash Doom in the middle of their lost soul attack. I tried a bunch of different things and couldn't seem to get it to work. This might be somehow related to that issue... :\

EDIT: If I remember correctly, their attack had a few chase frames before the lost soul charge. And yes, they had an attack sound. I was thinking of trying it without the chase frames to see if that was somehow causing it to get confused, but never bothered checking.

Theory and possible solution:
The lost souls have some quirks with DeHackEd because a lot of special stuff for them is hard coded into the engine. Even if the lost souls do not use the flying attack codepointer, this action might still be invoked when they are spawned through the appropriate codepointers for the pain elemental. Have you removed their attack sound by any chance? I know for certain this will lead to crashing if the lost soul does not have an attack sound defined.

If there's no attack sound the game would bomb quickly. More likely that charging monsters don't like having hand-to-hand attacks.

Didn't know this. I had a similar problem when I tried back in the mid 90's to convert the player to a spider mastermind. Got killed pretty fast.

esselfortium said:
EDIT: If I remember correctly, their attack had a few chase frames before the lost soul charge. And yes, they had an attack sound. I was thinking of trying it without the chase frames to see if that was somehow causing it to get confused, but never bothered checking. [/B]

Your thoery is correct. You can't put A_Chase pointers in a bad guys attack states.

Yeah but you know what? Spitted lost souls look like they're charging but are in their, IF I'M NOT WRONG, waiting frames, going then into walking frames, on seeing you. I think the crash is also related to meleeing while also on charge.

There are certain combinations of object behaviors that can crash Vanilla Doom for reasons I have not yet discovered. One easy way to crash the game, unreliably, is to take the plasma fireball and give it the properties of a monster (in my case, it was a cacodemon). It would actually work, your gun would spawn a living Cacodemon which also had the properties of a missile. It would fly til it hit a monster, do some damage, and then start attacking you. However, after a few maps, usually about 10 or 11, the game would always pull down the venetian blinds.