Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Hellbent

spewing forth fire, that mottled host, that terror of the night sky

Would you like to see a Dragon or Balrog in Doom?  

26 members have voted

1. 1. Would you like to see a Dragon or Balrog in Doom?

• Hell yes! You mean this hasn\'t already been done!?
    • Umm... might be cool but think it\'s too difficult.
    • I don\'t think dragons or Balrog?? have any place in doom.

Well, I fail it. Grazza reminds me of my Beowulf professor who gave me a C+ because I couldn't keep my paper on topic and used too many descriptive words and language in what was meant to be an expository paper.

I don't think any dragon mods have been made for doom. Anyone know if one has been made? Dragons are the quintessential monster. A balrog or a dragon in doom would be Great. Do you think it's possible to make an impressive dragon or balrog? Know of anyone who might want to take on such a task?

hopefully my posts will keep this thread alive this time!

i would like to see a balrog as well.

Balrog - wings - whip and sword + rocket launcher + iron leg = Cyberdemon.

If one were to make the Balrog, the Cyberdemon would make for a decent base.

OMG, I'd love to see a dragon in Doom... but a really hellish, evil dragon that fits castle/hell-style maps and that would be a blast to play against. In Norse myth the was a dragon that lived in Hel that "sucked the corpses of the dead" and "bore the bodies of men on his wings." It was called "Nidhogg." Maybe that could be the Doom-dragon's name. =)

I have enough DECORATE experience to program such a thing if I had the time, but I don't know who'd draw all the sprites for such a thing, which would likely have to be large and many. =(

I just might write my final paper on that. :D (one of the topics we can write on is the differences in dragons in the Germanic world during the historical period the Beowulf poem was supposedly trying to depict)

I just thought of a friend who might want to help out with the drawing of the many sprites. I shall go forth and inquire.

Beowulf Doom, hell yes!

you're right doomer4life - Cyb would be a good base for the balrog.

There's a dragon at the end of Skyewood, but it's not particularly good. I think there are also some dragons in Aeons of Death, ripped from other games. I definitely wouldn't mind seeing some more in Doom wads, though. A Balrog would also be badass.

Thanks for the link! I'm gonna play it through. Looks to be a good wad in its own right, dragons or no. :)

I spoke to my friend. (actually still speaking with him) and he is willing to do 3D models for a dragon for Vavoom or Jdoom but not sprites as he thinks it is too much work. He is a talented artist I don't doubt he could make a good dragon.

The dragon in that wad isn't too bad. Looks a little bit too cartoony, Barney-esque. Not sure how the attack would be handled. Bit difficult to do a giant blow torch attack in doom.
http://www.horrorphile.net/images/beowulf-dragon-in-flight1.jpg

deathbringer said:

What kind of a poll lets you vote for ALL the options?

In case you wanted to vote for the first and second option.

I wonder if people from Realm667 might not want to get in on this?

Dragons are for Hexen and the like, not DOOM, where they would look "gay".

And a balrog is like a winged baron of hell, that files (unlike the one in The Rebirth). Maybe the Afrit in Scythe 2 and DV could count as a balrog of sorts. Or else play DOOM 3 for a demonic monster more like the one in the LOTR movies, the guardian.

Hellbent said:
[snip] Not sure how the attack would be handled. Bit difficult to do a giant blow torch attack in doom.
http://www.horrorphile.net/images/beowulf-dragon-in-flight1.jpg [/B]

Actually, the Sentinel from Realm667 has a pretty good dragon fireball attack.

I think you're wrong myk. A dragon would fit very well in doom as would a Balrog. Hard for me to imagine how a dragon could be a bad idea in Doom.

I think what Myk is saying is that the dragon would look to fantasy-ish, like the Hexen sorcerers and whatnot. I do think Doom would be better off with a dragon, but I'd need to be a hellish-looking dragon so that it fit properly.

Death-Destiny said:

I think what Myk is saying is that the dragon would look to fantasy-ish, like the Hexen sorcerers and whatnot. I do think Doom would be better off with a dragon, but I'd need to be a hellish-looking dragon so that it fit properly.

To be fair, doom is already kind of fantasy-ish, in a hellish way.
But yeah, if a dragon were to be implemented into doom again, a demonic dragon would be the way to do it.
(haha, coincidence?)

Dragons tend to be long so it might look dumb when changing through its 8 frame rotation. Actually something that might be cool is if the dragon was composed of 3 'segment bodies' (think of 3 imps that played follow the leader really close). First segment = front legs, next = back legs, next = tail. Or maybe a big millipede boss type thing where each segment shoots. The heretic and skyewood dragon were shoved into a cyberdemonish column.

bah 8 frame rotation im sure you could get more, then the dragon would look badass. unless you wanted to go advanced style and do a high res model in gzdoom or something... hah.

I agree with myk. Reptilian Dragons are really for Heretic and Hexen. There already are weredragons, chaos serpents and a wyvern in those games.

There are already some little dragons in the Bestiary, the Fallen.

Balrogs are rather easy. Just modify some already existing Beastiary pictures to create your variant.

But hellish dragons... what would take to make them Doom-like... Perhaps giving them an upright posture, burning coal scales, some armor, some horns, palm fireball throwing (along with the breathing attack), and some spells here and there (like making all torches snake and attack the player). Then 10000 HP, 10 pain chance, 24 speed and you're set. ;)

What about other types of dragons? Like a very ugly stinking humanoid figure that quietly spawns in from the ground, fires a toxic arrow your direction, then vanishes into an Evil Dead ghost?

printz said:

But hellish dragons... what would take to make them Doom-like... Perhaps giving them an upright posture, burning coal scales, some armor, some horns, palm fireball throwing (along with the breathing attack), and some spells here and there (like making all torches snake and attack the player). Then 10000 HP, 10 pain chance, 24 speed and you're set. ;)

What about other types of dragons? Like a very ugly stinking humanoid figure that quietly spawns in from the ground, fires a toxic arrow your direction, then vanishes into an Evil Dead ghost?

Don't forget the glowing red eyes.

Dragons in Doom? Why not! There are maps where they'd look more at home than tech-style monsters like the cyber and the spiders.
We'd need something better than the modified T-Rex in Skyewood. The Island 2 has a most unusual looking dragon - cybernetically enhanced to boot.

Ummmmm, although I didn't essentially like the idea (thought that the doom theme was more about hellish, grotesque things, while dragons seem to belong more to wizard/fantasy sort of stuff), I'd like to see a flying, evil looking dragon such as found in some custom quake levels, yeah, why not?

Jim Rainer said:

After an extensive google image search, I think I found the style of dragon that's appropriate for doom: link.

Nice :) so how is this dragon going to be tackled? Is it possible to have a monster bigger than a EDIT: Spidermastermind cacodemon and more sprites than a Cyberdemon?