Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Terra-jin

The REAL Doomguy

The Doomguy never really had a name, except that one from the novels, but people don't seem to like that very much. Anyway, in the Doom bible there is mention of a brawny character with brown hair, green eyes... sent to Tei Tenga for assaulting a superior officer..? Sounds famaliar!

"And of course, theres…

Buddy Dacote: the guy that dies
Physical Description: Very fit and powerful, Buddy always wears a hat that says “BEOS” which stands for “Butt End of Space.” Caucasian with brown/Blond hair and green eyes.
Character Description: Popular and courageous, Buddy got sent to Tei Tenga Darkside for showing up a superior officer. His stay here is just temporary though – he was sent here as a security advisor. Buddy has a good sense of humor. Inside Info: Dacote stands for “Dies at conclusion of this episode.” " - The DOOM Bible

http://5years.doomworld.com/doombible/section06.shtml

Sounds very much like our Doomguy indeed. He does die at the end of the first episode (sort of)... Buddy's our guy! What do you guys think? Flynn or Buddy?

Wow... Never thought of that. It seems you're right though. Wow.
The only thing that doesn't add up or have any sort of connection to the Doomguy is the BEOS hat. Other than that, the description is right on the money...

Dies at conclusion of episode... That made me not think Dacote's the player, but more like a dying helper.

But technically or theoretically, the Doom marine does "die" at conclusion of episode 1 of released Doom...

SamBeckett94 said:

Doomguy was merely a janitor? Now that'd be a twist.

didnt you ever play action doom?

as i started reading the doom novels after hating doom3 (still enjoyed playing, its just nothing to do with doom, cacos are red and imps are brown, and where are the pinkies?) and the doom movie (vomits) i really got into the story, thus Flynn "Fly" Taggart is my main demi. hes cool and tough and badass in the book. And even his "co-op player" Arlene Sanders is very cool and together they really kicked actual doom monster ass.
no stupid wheelchair demons like in the movie (vomits again) ugh the rock..or even that other guy in the movie (vomits some more)

so yeah, fly has perfect doom guy statistics.

The best thing was that "Doom guy" was not really known... I don't fell like playing the story of someone else.

esselfortium said:
Wow, that actually does seem about right....except that I have trouble believing Doomguy is 6'2". :P

It seems reasonable. Horizontally, 64 pixels seem to equal about 6'. The marine is 56 x 1.2 high (because of the unusual aspect ratio), or 67.2 "horizontal pixels" high. That's almost 6' 4", helmet included.

6'2" or not, he must have eyes in his chest with a viewheght of, what is it, 41 units?, some 15 units below his coded height. Converting back to inches (if he is 6'2"), I think that makes his eyes almost 20" below the top of his head.

Enjay said:

6'2" or not, he must have eyes in his chest with a viewheght of, what is it, 41 units?, some 15 units below his coded height. Converting back to inches (if he is 6'2"), I think that makes his eyes almost 20" below the top of his head.

the answer is clear, he's this guy's cousin:

Enjay said:
6'2" or not, he must have eyes in his chest with a viewheght of, what is it, 41 units?

Yeah, although you have to make up for the fact that the head doesn't move (no freelook). It is more necessary to look down than up, as humans are terrestrial and need to watch their step. Slanting the view down a bit would have skewed perspectives somewhat (as the game isn't really 3D). This ceases to make sense once freelook is added (in Heretic or source ports), though.

I dunno, there are few, if any short monsters that the Doomguy would have difficulty seeing with a higher viewpoint, although pickups... maybe, but there are plenty of flying monsters that could be above him. Trenches and raised platforms probably pose equal difficulty in the game.

OK, I know that freelook is possible in Zdoom, but I have been playing a few mods with a raised view height and have not found them to be a problem.

Seems that id used some of these ideas for the final form of the Doomguy, yet I'd take this guy more like a virtual ancestor from which the Doomguy received some of his properties.
The sense of humor seemed to be lost, until one of the DOOM movie marines received it by mere coincidence.

Vegeta said:
until one of the DOOM movie marines received it by mere coincidence.

Given the movie has at least one DOOM Bible reference, and that the original script author said he perused it, it could well be more than a coincidence.

I always felt like I was the doomguy, and any characteristics that his personality was composed of resembled my own, because I controlled the actions he made using the keyboard and mouse. His identity is blurred out so that I could fit in my own qualiities into him, and 'become' the doom guy.

Vegeta said:

The sense of humor seemed to be lost, until one of the DOOM movie marines received it by mere coincidence.

"I thought being in the shit was just a figure of speech."

I remember years ago, like when doom2 first came out, I read an interview with John Romero or kevin Carmack or one of the original members of id, saying that they really wanted Arnold Schwartzennegger to star in a doom movie that they had planned. I seem to recall reading (dont absolutely quote me on this) that they had even got to the stage of talking to Arnie's management.

Imagine what might have been.

we could have had such sizzling lines as Arnie saying to an impaled former human ... "I'll be back"

or after killing the cyberdemon, he could have said something like "never trust anyone with a rocket launcher and a limp"

or in the final scene of the movie holding up John romero's impaled head and coming out with something like "this is what happens to people who make games like Daikatana" just before hurling the head into a pit of boiling lava.

Hmmm.....

It all seemed so much funnier in my head.

Sorry people :P

Enjay said:
OK, I know that freelook is possible in Zdoom, but I have been playing a few mods with a raised view height and have not found them to be a problem.

I think they were aiming for an impression, rather than whether gameplay would be impaired. When you increase the height you see less of monsters that are close to you, and a bit less of the floor nearby as you walk. Perhaps most importantly, the weapons also look reasonable as they are when you step up against a monster. Get close to an imp and your weapon aims at its torso at a sensible height. A more proportional view height might have forced the weapons to be pushed down.

myk said:

Get close to an imp and your weapon aims at its torso at a sensible height.

But I'd assume that the Doomguy is firing from the shoulder and not from the waist, in which case having weapons point that low on monsters supports the Doomguy = midget theory.

Nah, I guess the low view height does make sense as a replacement for freelook. Perhaps it also aids the psychological effect of Doom if you seem smaller than everything you encounter. Still, this thread has made me aware of how tiny the Doomguy seems to be - so playing this game will feel a little bit strange until I get used to that again...

JohnnyRancid said:

I always felt like I was the doomguy, and any characteristics that his personality was composed of resembled my own, because I controlled the actions he made using the keyboard and mouse. His identity is blurred out so that I could fit in my own qualiities into him, and 'become' the doom guy.

Quoted being the same thoughts for me.

Creaphis said:
Nah, I guess the low view height does make sense as a replacement for freelook.

Besides, most of the guns don't move when fired compared to when they're just carried, and the 3rd person sprite does indeed fire from the waist (or slightly above it). The Doomguy is so cool he doesn't even need to aim properly to toast his enemies!

myk said:

Besides, most of the guns don't move when fired compared to when they're just carried, and the 3rd person sprite does indeed fire from the waist (or slightly above it). The Doomguy is so cool he doesn't even need to aim properly to toast his enemies!

Oh, good point about the 3rd person sprites. Then I guess that makes Doom the proud grandfather of horribly unrealistic combat technique in FPS's.