Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artillery

Hated music tracks?

I just replayed some plutonia to refresh my memories and, among other things, noticed that it had pretty poor musical choices. I can't say I personally really like any of doom music that much, but very few tracks really annoy me.

So, are there any musical tracks that you really CAN'T STAND listening?

After finishing map14: Genesis, my answer is very clear: "Nobody told me about id". To me, it sounds like a combination between a driller, psycho movie and a woodpecker reverbating through my skull, all in a nice monotonous 3/4 rhythm that begs for typing IDMUS. Nevertheless, I still regularly encounter this musical track used in custom levels. *PUKE*

How about others?

D_E1M6. It isn't too terrible I guess, but it's just so cheesy.

EDIT: Oh, you hate THAT song?! You, sir, are a terrible person. :(

esselfortium said:

D_E1M6. It isn't too terrible I guess, but it's just so cheesy.

/[B]

That one? Well I guess you're right. First a scary chord, than a monotonous roll of simplistic two chords swinging around in a fast pace. Yeah I don't like it much either.

And the map23: barrels o' fun tune. "Them bones" wasn't a bad song, but it somehow sounds so bad when converted to midi, and c'mon it's such a blatant ripoff (at least the other numerous ripoffs had some changed notes, or something to make them different from the songs they were modeled after).

And yes, I REALLY hate "Nobody told me about id"

The only one I can't listen to at all is Doom2 map01. Shame they had to put the worst one in the slot most often used for pwads.

I'm incredibly tired of MAP01's music at this point. It's one of the worst Doom tracks IMO and serving as the soundtrack to the first level of every wad without replacement music has permanently branded it in my brain.

EDIT: Looks like Grazza beat me to it!

Map21 of Doom2 (or whichever map that music plays first one). I just find it annoying. However, I don't recall hating any of the music from Doom1.

Hah, wouldn't you know, I can't seem to remember MAP01 at all now.

E1M1 seemed a bit frantic and haphazard. It's fine for short levels like the one it originally accompanied, but any more gets irritating. Usually it just makes me want to turn any map into a speedrun.

I like the start to E1M6, but I suppose it falls apart pretty quick. I never pay much attention though, because it seems to fade to the background of whatever map I'm playing, so it's never irritated me in any way.

MAP04 isn't bad, but doesn't actually suit map04, and would sound much better if it used lower grade samples and was put in a late 80's game.

To that extent, I suppose MAP02 also sounds like it belongs in a big-city comedy flick, and MAP08 would suit a safari scene nicely.

Otherwise, most of them work just fine for me.

well, there arent any songs i dont like but songs that tend to annoy me after a while

e1m6
e1m2
map01
i think thats it there are probably more.

NiGHTMARE said:

D_E2M4. It's neither actiony or atmospheric; it's just boring.

You hate that one? :o I think that's one of the best music tracks in the whole Doom series. It gives that level so horrible and gloomy atmosphere and that's why I think that's one of the best levels in Doom.

But the tracks I usually skip are e1m2 (boring and too simple), e1m3 (too strange :D) and e3m8 (hate that fast guitar riff). The most hated ones are in Doom 2, which are map04 (doesn't fit Doom at all) and map06 (boring with a big B).

I certainly don't hate any (if I did I might have stopped playing the games a long time ago), but the one I like least might be D_E3M3 (Deep into the code), because it feels somewhat shrill. Some others that I don't think are too great are D_E2M1 (to a lesser degree it suffers from the same issue as D_E3M3), and D_E1M2 (seems a bit weak during some moments, but has some cool moody parts). Some others may not fit as well as many songs, but they've still managed to grant their own character after all this time (like D_MAP02 and D_MAP04). I used to not like D_E1M6 and D_E1M4 too much but now I like them more; the former does have a touch of the weird and the later is decent for more action-packed levels. I agree that D_MAP23 feels too much like the original song although, in its defense, it's good for a strange tricky map (like the one it was used for).

I think some of the ones mentioned here are pretty awesome; D_E2M8 (the one in Plutonia's Map14; that adds a strange, warped feel to the environment), D_E2M4 (that's softly moody in a grand way, which fits the map it was placed in very well, as there's a lot of space with some darkness, and monsters awaiting in certain key locations), and D_E2M2 (which gives a warped "SciFi" feeling of suspense), and even D_MAP03 is rather good (the one in Map21, that has a nice "gothic" touch).

D_MAP01 and D_E1M1 are fine action-friendly tracks to me even after all the exposure (on quite so many 1-level wads), but I think I like the one in DOOM II a bit more (maybe the many 1-on-1 DM matches helped), although they are both best used in shorter levels.

TNT MAP02 sounds horrible if those bass beats aren't muted.

Also in general the Doom 2 music is less versatile than the Doom 1 one. When listening to the Doom 2 tracks I cannot think about anything else but a Doom 2 installation.

Map18 - "Waiting for Romero to Play" sounds just like that, waiting for something. No action, no spunk, just zzzzzzzzzzzzzz..............

Waiting for Romero to Play I think is actually good for the very same reason you dislike it. It's kinda trancy and hypnotic, and compared to most of the other midis, stands out because of it, for me at least.

Da Spadger said:

Doom2, Map04.

Ha, ha - it's a cool tune + rythmwise great but totally not suitable for a Doom game.

All tunes are great in Doom1/2 though the most boring in comparison to all the other tracks for me are ...
D_E2M3 and the track from 'The Crusher'.

Don't you guys think D_BETWEE (map04) would go better with Wolfenstein3D, not Doom?

It kinda reminds me more of blake stone, but it's probably because when ever I think of that song I think of TEKGREN textures.

I think Map28 Getting too tense would make a great boss battle song for Wolfenstein.

Personally I think Doom 2's intermission song is the worst. Whenever I beat a level i unberably repeatedly tap enter. The Doom 1 Intermission song is just the opposite, sooooo much better.

Really? I love E3M3. I also forgot to mention that listening to D_Bunny before I sleep gives me nightmares. I kinda that agree E2M8 is pretty bad, but the rendition that Jay Reichard wrote in "Project Doom" is awesome.

JohnnyRancid said:

I also forgot to mention that listening to D_Bunny before I sleep gives me nightmares.

LOL, I love that one it's just so plain sick, haha, the inclusion of it in plutonia map11 was pretty cool, fits the atmosphere. One of the rare plutonia music choices I liked.

Now there are certain tracks I don't like in both Doom and Doom2.

For Doom2: Map07, map31, map25, map28

In Doom: E1M9, E3M2, E3M3, E1M6

D_ROMERO is actually one of my favorite tracks from Doom 2, very atmospheric. E2M1 is the best of the "action tracks" in Doom.
As for hated tracks, E3M1 really gets irritating after a while, but that's probably just me.

JohnnyRancid said:
Personally I think Doom 2's intermission song is the worst. Whenever I beat a level i unberably repeatedly tap enter. The Doom 1 Intermission song is just the opposite, sooooo much better.

I prefer the one from DOOM II because it gives a twisted mocking tone that goes along very well with the intermission screen and is akin to the bunny song that introduces DOOM II from DOOM. The one used for DOOM is a decent track, but it doesn't have as much character and is better off as an in-level track (as used in D_E2M3).

I don't "hate" any of the songs.... But I dislike the Citadel song the most I guess....
As for songs I love? E2M2 and E2M3(Intermission) of Ultimate Doom.
I just love how creepy E2M2 sounds... It always scared the shit out of me when I was younger and I'd watch the beginning demo.

Just about all the Doom music I heard has been great. I must say, however, that I'm especially surprised by all the crap the music for Central Processing (E1M6) has gotten. Granted, that song is actually sort of happy and upbeat, which many may argue doesn't fit Doom, but I think in a strange way it applied very well with the clustered groups of enemies and bright/sunny outdoors environment.

I liked mostly all of the DOOM music, with E3M8 and E3M1 being the exceptions. (E3M8 is actually really annoying, and E3M1 is not very interesting.

Doom 2 is much more disparate, bearing both my very favorite tracks (MAP07, MAP09, MAP10, MAP18) and my least favorite (MAP01, as many others have said, is overused and not very good; MAP04 doesn't fit with Doom; MAP05 is, in my opinion, really cheesy; MAP20 doesn't really have much going for it either.)

Somebody mentioned MAP06 as being boring...for some reason I actually liked this track. I think that this is mainly because it fits really well with maps like The Crusher and The Chasm somehow.

I liked all the TNT tracks except for MAP11, which was never very memorable.

I really, really dig the music for The Crusher, for some reason. Really plain and open sounding, with a mix of suspense and anticipation.