Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
ZERO99

Legend 1on1: looking for peoples thoughts

alright i have not posted in the doom world forums for quite some time, i first posted here like most nubs to find where to start in mapping and had some general questions. Now after just over a year i think i have really started to create some decent work. I would like to get some feed back on this map of mine i have posted it for review in the Zdaemon review. I didnt get much feedback from the community and would like to get more views and thoughts on my map. This map was made for 1on1 play and geared towards the Zdaemon engine.

thoughts, comments, hates, likes are all welcome here. this is why i posted it here to learn from mistakes i have made in this map and move forward in my mapping.

download link:http://www.thatguy.sinthos-soft.com/ZERO99's%201on1%20maps/legend-a.zip

it looked ok and played ok.

if its advice you want, texturing, alignment, theme clashing, flat matching, etc. could all use a little work. im sure you heard of it, but crucified dreams is an excellent example of painstaking texture alignment, good use of textures, good flat matching and contrasting, consistent themes, and the like. for gameplay im not so pro at, but that some staircases(to the exit and the spiral one) i was a little clumsy and hit the walls. the lift also seemed that the delay was a little fast.

Ok i have been looking for material to study off. Ill for sure look at the wad you talked about. :D thanks for the feedback

I cannot see why any serious criticism would be made of this map. Your flats and textures do not clash, but rather complement just fine. The only thing I can think that Butts might be referring to (and he without question he has a better sense for this stuff than I do) is that your gray flats and textures could be a little darker for a better match with the rest. Otherwise I like the starkly contrasting colors. The red goes well with the dark gray as does the light brown. Personally, I think it is fine. I mean, it's no Greenwar2 :P, but there's something to be said for simplicity. Don't get lost in the detail--focus first and foremost on gameplay. I thought your weapon placement was very nice and the overall flow of the map is pretty good. The lift to the BFG is a nice touch, too. The lift to the lower level, however, goes too quick. The delay should be at least 1 second. That there looked like about 1/2 which is annoying.

About the texturing, I used a texture pack that was not created by me I dont know much about using things like Photoshop to make textures. Im trying to learn now to use programs like it to edit my own because i can see how useful such a skill is when you need that texture to make something pop or blend nicely. I currently have Adobe Photoshop Elements 2 that came with a scanner. I have used the Gimp in the past but i just have not used it much due to the fact i have Photoshop and i know it some what better then The Gimp.