Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Technician

Doom 3 novel. Update.

tsareppsun said:

past halve of the 2nd book everything just kinda sped up and just finished real quick.

So it felt rushed? Does the story of the second book give an insight how Costello might orginally envisioned the Doom3 story, or is it more like a different story alltogether? I can´t really tell from the first book, because a big part of it took place on earth.

Tetzlaff said:

So it felt rushed? Does the story of the second book give an insight how Costello might orginally envisioned the Doom3 story, or is it more like a different story alltogether? I can´t really tell from the first book, because a big part of it took place on earth.

The 1st novel gave alot of insight on Kane and how he got screwed by the military/gov for insobordination because they felt that the OTHER marines platoon pinned down in that enemy town was politicaly expendable. I liked all that because it was deep and pretty well written.

It think it was pretty close to the original DOOM3 story line, But he filled in alot of the cracks on a few levels like back story on the boss of the UAC and the secondary UAC project on earth(* still trying to figure How THAT involves with the actual story)But what turned me off is that past the halveway point things just seemed to rush. As if M. Costello just wanted to just hurry and finish the book. I mean for christ sake. The hero didn't even encounter ALL of the DOOM3 monsters!!

At least in the older novels, the Hero encountered ALL of the DOOM demons.

Just finished reading Doom3 Book 2 Maelstrom last night.

I thought book 2 was pretty good, better than the first book, which was also good.

One thing that disappointed me was Kane's trek through Hell. Once we finally got there, I thought- 'OK, cool, He's on his own now, in Hell, this is where the real doom begins'. Unfortunately however, Kane's journey through hell seemed quite rushed. I wanted pages of him just being on his own, feeling hopelessness and despair mixed with his never say die spirit. Costello did capture these elements briefly, and that stuff was great, the way Kane was just yelling stuff as he blew the demons away in damnation. Also I wish the Hellknight was properly introduced in the book... In someways I think that could have been sited as the main demon since it was on the game cover art. Also where the heck was the awesome Mancubus battle?, the one where the first Mancubus comes out of that huge pipe. That would have been nice.

One of the main things I was looking forward to was reading through the boss battles. The Spider Demon was pretty nasty, the fight and descriptions of it's death were fun to read. The Sgt Kelly-Tank with the BFG battle was great and reminded me of fighting that thing for real, but the absence of the Guardian in hell from which Kane rescues the Soulcube was a let down. The final battle with the Cyber-demon thing was fun, but not as good as in the same battle in the game. The setting of a big hall rather than on the edge of a huge abyss was less ominous. It was pretty harsh how Kane lost his lower right leg at the end after vanquishing the main enemy! Heheh.

As for all the subplots, I liked the UAC behind the scenes stuff with Ian Kelliher and his dad, but the stuff involving the scientists in the Ocean lab was a head scratcher since it all lead to nothing. Perhaps Book 3 will incorporate those threads.

If there is a book three, which I think there will be, it will obviously be RoE. This is what I originally theorized for the new novel series... wonder when dsm is gonna give me that cookie and recommendation? See page one.... :)

Danger said:

If there is a book three, which I think there will be, it will obviously be RoE. This is what I originally theorized for the new novel series... wonder when dsm is gonna give me that cookie and recommendation? See page one.... :)

I'll be damned, you turned out to be right after all!

It's a freakin' conspiracy! :P

Oh well, here's a cookie.
*throws cookie Danger's way, watches Danger ravenously tear the hapless cookie to shreds*

I recommend Danger for the position of Seer and Fortune Teller of Doomworld. He has proven highly adept at accurately predicting future events.

There, cookie and recommendation granted. Continue to succeed and you will be set up for Life. Fail me, Mortal, and you shall know the true meaning of the word "Agony".

;P

Yeah he was ONE terrorist for rushing the ending in the 2nd book. It seems like he intended all 3 books to be the expanded Doom 3 storyline, but then decided later to make the 3rd book go into ROE so he just had to hurry up and get to the end of the D3 invasion in book 2.