Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Artillery

Astrology believers?

Okay, this is pretty simple. Your zodiac sign? Do you believe in astrology? I'd really like to hear zodiac signs of the famous mappers? I'd expect a lot of fire (aries, leo) here, as well as some water (scorpio, pisces), perhaps some aquarians, and a significant number of virgos.

Like, for instance, Deus Vult series to me look like something only a scorpio or leo would make. OTOH, Death Destiny seems a pretty fiery mapper to me, while B.P.R.D.'s work makes me think either: aquarius or pisces.

You can also rant here about how cool or stupid astrology is. I don't expect way too many believers here, but let's see.

Astrology is fun in a "this is bullshit" sort of way. Most of the pieces you read in a newspaper are so vaguely written or general they could apply to anyone. The human mind tends to make connections where there are none, too, so they can be "accurate" in a variety of situations. I think it would be better if they did away with the mysticism and just became advice columns.

But yeah, I'm a Leo. :p

My horoscope told me to have a serious discussion with my partner about our relationship.

The problem was, and is, that I'm single. :-(

Oh, and aries.

Okay, I didn't mean the newspapaper horoscope readings, we all know they're bullshit.

I meant astrology as pseudoscience, or as an interest, or whatever, just say what you mean. But, newspapers stuff like "the godfather of the best friend of your girlfriend's mother will introduce you to someone who will cause you pain today" is stupid, we all know that.

Well, as a system of determining personality or character, it's like many other systems: it kind of works if you want it to, but not really. Many of the personality traits certain signs are supposed to have are shared by others, but under a different name. I mean, is there that much difference between gross arrogance and stubborn pride? Often a sign has so many different traits that some of them are bound to stick, too. It's faulty at best.

Any system that claims to be able to categorize people into 12 neat signs is bound to failure. Humans like to categorize things, especially other people. Humans are not alyways consistent, however, and people tend to have very many feelings about many different things. Often they do not share all of them with others or with very few.

tl;dr is it's vague enough to stick, but not practical or profound. A better judge of character is knowing the person intimately.

I'm a scorpio. It is in the stars that scorpio's don't believe in Astrology.

It's bollocks.

There's no all-powerful star configuration controlling my destiny.

Astrology was some esoteric junk based on astronomical observations that priests and the like would use to make illiterates and the uninitiated feel stupider than them; an extension of religion to material phenomena that could be upheld back when we didn't know much about astronomical events. There may be some interesting historical and cultural aspects tied to the discipline, but only girls that watch too many soap operas, and their mothers, are really into it otherwise.

I'm a "Gemini".

One of my cousins is an astronomer, though, and he does research on supernovas and the like.

I don't really follow astrology much at all, except for kicks every once in a while. A friend of mine, on the other hand, takes it much more seriously and often makes decisions by it.

Fortune cookies with positive messages I take slightly more seriously. Also things like personality tests (like the one that says I'm an INFP), make more sense to me.

Oh, and I'm a Sagittarius, and a boar in the Chinese zodiac.

The original post clearly demonstrates what the "power" of Astrology really is. Artillery is expecting that a lot of mappers would have the signs of aries, leo, scorpio, pisces, aquarius and virgo. Well, that's half of the year. So yeah, "a lot" of mappers will have those signs. People who believe in the power of astrology are the people who forget that the other half of the population exists, and then they say, "Wow, it's true!"

But, you can't really blame the believers; this is part of human nature. The ability to form patterns from isolated experiences and memories is necessary for survival, even though this causes a lot of errors in our modern environment.

Csonicgo said:
DAMN YOU NEPTUNE!

Do astrologers account for the fact that Pluto is no longer classified as a planet? Or maybe astrologers in 1930 knew that it wasn't really a planet because all their predictions came out wrong. Damn them for being so much smarter than astronomers...

Fun fact: i read an interview with a comic writer (think it may have been in the Judge Dredd Megazine) who started out working on DC Thompson's newspaper in Scotland (can't remember the name). He started having a competition with another horoscope writer (who was equally 'just' a fiction writer) to come up with the most outlandish 'predictions', which they would then piss themselves over in the pub that night. They started trying to scare people, saying things like "Make SURE you look both ways when you cross the road today, and beware the colour blue"

OH, you should also look up Graham Hancock if you are into ancient archaeology as applied to the heavens.

Last but not least is it curious how people from the "old world" seemed to know so much about outer space, how map makers in the 14th century had drawn up maps that presented the earth from a in sky perspective, etc.

A fun site to browse around is:

http://jordanmaxwell.com

He'll give you all sorts of questions to seek answers for! :)

MasterSyphadias said:

Last but not least is it curious how people from the "old world" seemed to know so much about outer space, how map makers in the 14th century had drawn up maps that presented the earth from a in sky perspective, etc.

It isn't that curious given that they studied it. There also weren't distractions such as videogames, television, and in some cases even books. They had plenty of time to observe and refine their knowledge based on what they saw, and I assume it was a means of passing time, among other things. Rome wasn't built in a day. :p

Snarboo said:

It isn't that curious given that they studied it. There also weren't distractions such as videogames, television, and in some cases even books. They had plenty of time to observe and refine their knowledge based on what they saw, and I assume it was a means of passing time, among other things. Rome wasn't built in a day. :p

Yes, but how do you know about Pluto for instance, when you are stuck on earth without a telescope?

And I agree, they were probably better people than us because they lacked materilistic addiction and distraction.

I'm a Virgo, an Earth sign, and I believe it was the Year of the Sheep. Or Rat. Something.
Anyway, it's just an interesting diversion.

Artillery said:

Like, for instance, Deus Vult series to me look like something only a scorpio or leo would make. OTOH, Death Destiny seems a pretty fiery mapper to me, while B.P.R.D.'s work makes me think either: aquarius or pisces.

Scorpio, good guess.

Astrology < Newton, Einstein, Faraday, Nerd--I mean, Nernst...

Doom Marine said:

Scorpio, good guess.

Haha, told ya, Deus Vults looked and played very scorpionic to me.

Astrology < Newton, Einstein, Faraday, Nerd--I mean, Nernst...

Heh, I agree, astrology isn't a science, because there is no connection between cause and consequence. Therefore, it cannot be a science, neither can it have the same value.

However, astrology may be fun for girls and old ladies watching soap operas, but it sure as hell is fun for me aswell. And helpful. If you read about it from right sources it makes quite a bit of sense, regardless of how naysayers argue against it. Call me a superstitious old witch, if you like.

Snarboo pretty much summarized my feelins of it in post 2. I'm a Saggitarious born in the year of the horse.

Oh yea, how could I forgot the awesome Chinese Zodiac? I'm reminded of it everytime I eat chinese food...I'm a Tiger rawrg.