Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Shanoa

should i start by making a big map, a medium sized one or a small one?

Ok after seeing so many good maps i decided to try making my first one...but i wonder one thing...should i start by making a big map,a medium sized one or a small one? I say it in advance do not expect something wonderful if i end up making it.

Sorry if my grammar is bad btw...im not English born :P

Start with a small one and when it's looking rather solid and complete and more importantly, functions well, then expand on it some more. Sometimes it is necessary to cut back on the size of the map after you've done a lot of the work, due to the time players should ideally spend on the map. If this is the case, cut out portions of your map and reuse them in another map later. The length of the map isn't the only factor you should take in. The time it takes to finish the map after hunting keys and killing monsters should be accounted for as well. And overall the the size of the map depends on your own preferences. Personally I find that a 30-minute first-time experience on a map is best.

Call me stupid but i was thinking of trying to do a really small map...like those in 10 sectors...i wouldnt post it here (coz it would be horrid)but i would post pics to have comments/opinion etc,etc

and if it would be good i could eventually post it.

EDIT: think thats a good idea?

Don't even think about the size. Just keep on mapping until you find a way to tie up the map and be satisfied with it. Don't worry about size at all; just map until you're to a point where you feel the map should be done.

Yea but in case people wonder why i say ' if i end up making one ' its not because i could get bored in the making nah...i only fear to not be able EVER to make one...it seems so complicated :(

*is off to try to follow the guide* I hope i'll be able to make one...i want to since im 8 years old :P any tips are appreciated.

Sorry for double-post but while making the demo map like in the guide it give this after i put BLOOD1 as a flat i click on build node and this message appear.

Invalid Procedure call or argument

Run-time error '5'

Thats what it give me o.O

Cool a new mapper ;)
I think you haven't the patience of Huy Pham to do a big map in 9 months, but you can start with a style of fast-paced action packed maps like Scythe without a big problem (maybe your layouts can't be as good as the Erik's ones but it's a good beginning).

heh thx for the encouragement...i already know how to align texture which is,i know,a really important thing to do to give a good look to the map so...i dont think ill get bad comments about the aligment...but yea i can still take suggestion...and i keep in mind the idea about Scythe.

srry double-post again...

Anyway im still getting the Error 5 message...it annoy me <.<

I love XP anyway for your question stay away from source ports just map in doom2 format get the basics under the knee release an couple of maps get feedback on it shave some more on your skills you get better which each map you make.

I think the size of the map doesn't really matter just don't try make something complex and too ambitious, an simple functionable map with an start and exit and entertaining gameplay should be your goal, detail not important at this point you should concentrate on getting an map done without any bugs getting teleporters doors and other stuff working properly is difficult enough when you first start out.

Thats the same error I get when I try to make nodes for some of my maps. Try to use a no reject node builder, or use zen node.

oh i was just messing up in doing each step...now its all good...but i need a new mouse my wheel on it is fucked up so it will have to wait <.<

Yea when i first tried making a door i kinda messed up a bit...but the 2nd time i tried it worked properly...so yea i will focus on a bugless map (i will do my best D:)

did you read what you have to do each time you start doombuilder, since you are using vista?

go to your task manager, go to processes, find explorer.exe and end that process. you wont recieve error 5 anymore.

Oh ya forgot to mention it...i did it perfectly and now its all good...i just need my new mouse to be able to change the ceiling height in 3d more...the wheel is broken...well anyway i might buy one this week...ill give more news on it...if people actually care **

Good luck with your mapping. Like any new skill it takes time to learn, there are mistakes to be made (and learnt from) so don't expect to become a mapping god overnight. :-)

haha yes im aware of this...i will post my map to get some feedback and all...but it might take some time due to the stupid mouse <.<

It's definitely good practice to forget about size...but not completely. I've had times where I started my map by drawing one huge sector, trying to make something really immense and crazy. I usually wouldn't finish anyway, but starting like that gets you to think "How am I going to fill in this space?" You should be thinking, what can I add next? Starting simple also allows you, as others have said, to experience all parts of map building. Architecture, items, monsters, and functional things like doors and the exit are all very important. It's good to create a whole level rather than get hung up because your castle took hours to draw...

When I start to make a level the first mapping tools I use are math paper and a pencil. Much less fustrating to rub out areas that aren't working and redraw them than removing and rebuilding sectors that could take hours to assemble.