Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Ultimablah

I want epicness.

I played through Super Sonic Doom a while back, and the boss fights and level designs were absolutely amazing. I'm shocked it didn't make the Cacoawards, personally.

I also played Scythe, and the last level was just... amazing. Hellish and kinda pointlessly hard, but amazing, theme-wise.

But, now, I crave other epic fights. I want huge levels with great design, that all leads up to a penultimate event.

Any suggestions of mods I should play?

(Simplicity was also a good one, though... it kinda ended quickly)

You should like Scythe 2 then, with its 5 level episodes. Unfortunately, he never finished the last one.

yea sadly...but still the last lvl played in Scythe 2 is still epic design side.

Hell Revealed I and II and Kama Sutra follow (HR doens't technically follow, since it's the pioneer of the genre) the same/similar style, although, I'd say they aren't of the same quality as the aforementioned, but there's plenty of monsters and it's HARD.

The wad that really sprinkles to mind when the word epic is mentioned is "The Ultimate Torment and Torture", and IMHO, taken as a whole is probably the best quality of all.

What about KDiZD? That's pretty epic too :P And Deus Vult I. Austerity by Tormentor667 was good too :P Oh and sapphire. A one level wad but really fun to play, and really hard at times.

Indeed hr, hr2, ks and dv map05 are epic (I prefer the last two personaly).
I haven't enjoyed at all KDiZd and UTNT, the gameplay have bored me...
The one that Da Spager recommend is pretty cool, 'Epic' fit perfectly with the content :P
From the same author, Generator of Evil and Napalm are nice very big maps...

Found in the text : 'Cooperative 2-4 Player : Sorry'
I've tried this wad one year ago and I wasn't impressed by the quality of the work, still the difficulty is epic...

I could have sworn it was coop. oh well, I'll make a coop version then, and then do a few runs to see if the doors are Coop friendly.

Since you've mentioned Daniel I'm gonna say Neodoom is quite an epic wad IMO. Once you look past the resource ripfest it's one of the better ZDoom wads if you're looking for an over the top weapons/monsters/inventory mod that comes with it's own maps, most of which are really well done.

I tried to make each of the maps in the Wart series in a style very similar to what you're looking for.

I've just played Europa 2 from Erik Alm, all I can say is : Epic !

Also Eternal 3 is old but good. Epic in scale and battle but the puzzles and progression are "difficult" to say the least. IDCLIP awaits, though.

K!r4 said:

Europa 2

OMG this wad just blowed off my balls x___X im not gonna be able to complete it in a while lol.

Hm... I'll try the recommendations, thanks!

Although, it appears that I may have mis-presented what I'm looking for, exactly. I'm not just looking for pure, massive difficulty, but something that screams out "THIS IS A LARGE SCALE THING, IT'S BIG, IT'S COOL LOOKING, IT'S IMPORTANT, PLAY ME"

TUTNT was a very good example of that. Not too exasperatingly hard, yet grandoise enough in scale that it was absolutely great to play. (The secret mario level was hilarious, as well)

If you want something that screams out as you said...try Scythe 2 its worth seeing.

deus vult is pretty much what you are looking for. how about you try to make a really large epic beautiful and hard map yourself? set a crazy standard or something, i dont know...

me and 2 friends spent about 3 hours getting through deus vult 2 on Normal. that was truly epic.

Ultimablah said:

Although, it appears that I may have mis-presented what I'm looking for, exactly. I'm not just looking for pure, massive difficulty, but something that screams out "THIS IS A LARGE SCALE THING, IT'S BIG, IT'S COOL LOOKING, IT'S IMPORTANT, PLAY ME"

I'd say pretty much any level by Michael Krause fits that description. Dark Star is probably my favourite of them.

I beat Deus Vult on HMP. Wonderful, amazing, BRILLIANT.

Will play Deus Vult 2 next, as soon as I have time to.

Epic was also a great wad, but Deus Vult was... stunning.

According to statistics and depending on your criteria, either Batman Doom or Scythe 2 scores as the most popular Doom mod of all time.

A bit lower. But Deus Vult 2 and Suspended in Dusk are higher... And that portal gun (O_o) too.

EDIT so the reader below may read it and me not post: use the doomworld.com/idgames Top Wads command, of course!

printz said:

A bit lower. But Deus Vult 2 and Suspended in Dusk are higher... And that portal gun (O_o) too.

I never played deus vult II. I came across deus vult I coincidentally. Equinox is a good wad to play. What about Hell Revealed I and II?

No mention of Virgil the Doom Poet?

Well, you really should try his Claustrophobia (if the recent versions of Zdoom didn't break it). It has probably one of the biggest end boss fights I have ever seen and the architecture rank pretty high on the epic scale as well.
The boss fight in question plays less like Doom and more like a "bullet-hell" type sidescrolling shooter.