Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Nemark

Looking for some rare Chris Klie levels.

Mapslinger said:

Okay, I blew the dust off the old levels, and I managed to get them uploaded as of this morning.

Many thanks for making them publicly avaiable. They are a must-have for collectors and fans. Especially oldstuff-fans, like me.

Greetings
Funduke

Thanks from another wad collector.
"Ancient history" or not I expect there'll be a scramble to claim them in the Review Centre.

My pleasure. It seems appropriate: the unearthing of these artifacts coinciding with the release of the new Indiana Jones movie.

Anyway, hope you enjoy the maps.

Mapslinger said:
It seems appropriate: the unearthing of these artifacts coinciding with the release of the new Indiana Jones movie.

Too bad "Temple Of Doom" was already taken...

I'd also like to extend my gratitude for uploading these.

I'll definitely be adding all of them to my collection. :)

They're ready to be claimed. Go review them before someone else judges them by modern standards.

Hey, all. The Fury (wad) has yet to appear in the index due to a technical issue. The Doomworld gurus are working on the problem.

Thanks a lot for uploading them. I know the effort it requires to organize these things again once you got ahead of them.
I'll sure add them to my collection.

Mapslinger said:

One of the Master Levels outtakes doesn't appear in the Doomworld index, but it can be found here: http://archives.gamers.org/pub/games/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/fury.zip

The links to it appear on this page:
http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=9722

I presume that you uploaded it with a filename that conflicted with an existing file in the archive, and when Ty approved it, he failed to notice the conflict. The result was that it replaced the older file. No new page in the database would have been created since no new file names had appeared.

The older file can be found on some of the defunct mirrors:
http://crydee.sai.msu.ru/ftproot/pub/rec/games/idgames/levels/doom2/d-f/fury.zip

I suggest reuploading with the filename fury2.zip, and an accompanying note telling Ty where the old file can be found (i.e. the link above), so he can restore it. The new file named "fury2" will then automatically get its own page in the database.

Hey, Grazza.

Yeah, this is confusing to say the least. It looks like users will get either Paul Derbyshire's file or mine depending on the mirror they choose.

I'll work with Ty to get the conflict resolved. Thanks for the info.

Here's an update: The naming conflict is resolved. Paul's file should soon appear as fury.zip in the archives and on all mirrors, and my file should turn up soon in the index as cdk_fury.zip. Thanks to Ty Halderman for getting this resolved so quickly.

Chris Klie ( @Mapslinger)  personally uploaded the Master Levels outtakes on idgames in 2008, as the original collection, known as CDKSTUFF.ZIP, was no longer available on the net.

In case anyone is still interested in the historical files, the original CDKSTUFF is available for download (as a folder and not as a zip archive) on this CD released in 1995.

The original* text file (CDKSTUFF.TXT) is also included in the folder(SHA1: 8be3bd20d3fc21959374187786ae35f5d70fe613).

*The exact same text file is also included in the DOOM MAGAZINE 2 CD and in a .zip archive available on Doomshack.org called CDKSTUFF_REBUILT.ZIP 

In both cases, curiously, the file has a different SHA1 ( 03220e1bc3cec232a788e02a8313988d49712c16), although I don't know why.

17 minutes ago, thestarrover said:

Chris Klie ( @Mapslinger)  personally uploaded the Master Levels outtakes on idgames in 2008, as the original collection, known as CDKSTUFF.ZIP, was no longer available on the net.

In case anyone is still interested in the historical files, the original CDKSTUFF is available for download (as a folder and not as a zip archive) on this CD released in 1995.

The original* text file (CDKSTUFF.TXT) is also included in the folder(SHA1: 8be3bd20d3fc21959374187786ae35f5d70fe613).

*The exact same text file is also included in the DOOM MAGAZINE 2 CD and in a .zip archive available on Doomshack.org called CDKSTUFF_REBUILT.ZIP 

In both cases, curiously, the file has a different SHA1 ( 03220e1bc3cec232a788e02a8313988d49712c16), although I don't know why.

What a timely reply.

This thread was first posted almost exactly at the halfway point between Doom's release and right now

Anyway, no harm in posting up-to-date links here.  This is something I wasn't aware of so I'll have to check these out (although in fairness I haven't played the actual Master Levels either).  Glad little bits of Doom history like these are still floating around

1 hour ago, thestarrover said:

hi! just played [the_cpu.wad] out of curiosity. simple aesthetics, but very nice gameplay in [uv]. imo, had a bit of nearly everything - surprises with (sudden floor drop, etc), a tad puzzly, platforming, etc. ammo and health starvation was just nice for me too - kept my health around 50% most of the time before i got the megasphere. it was a pleasure playing this wad. thanks a lot for sharing this treasure trove from the past :)

On 4/15/2008 at 7:47 AM, Artillery said:

doomworld.com/vb/wads-mods/41218-looking-for-some-og-wads/
Tried googling the names? I hope you're aware that many designers now made thousands of better custom levels to play. If I remember correctly (been awhile since I played Master Levels), most of the levels in the package were average quality at best by today's standards.

You could make this argument for most old maps. What is important is the historical value. I think people would be very excited if Dr. Sleep's Lethe was found, regardless of the quality of the maps because they're a part of Doom history.

EDIT: Holy shit I didn't realize this was a 15 year old comment

Edited by Ludi

Did you manage to upload them all or do you have some in your back pocket still? Im interested to see these.