Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zafbot

Why am i still playing doom?

For the past few years...ive been playing mostly counter strike, and i love the game. My friends and I would play for hours and hours daily, playing matches, in leagues, lanning, etc. But the first fps i played was Doom, on the SNES awhile back, when SNES was big. Since then i always had something for doom, i would play it on my moms pc, which had a broken sound card, and i would use the arrow keys (which back than, was the only way i knew how, i dont think the mouse was compatible, maybe im wrong) But ive always had a "thing" for the game, and every few years i pick it up and play it, and its still very enjoyable, but why? The game is so old, and dated, but i love playing it. The graphics for it dont bother me either, they feel very natural, and perfect for the game. Does anyone feel the same way?

The game is loaded with images and sounds that are designed to directly create feelings of pleasure.

Graphical harmony, the art direction of this game was well done. Only Quake gave me the same feeling of harmony.

But the graphics aren't the main point for me : it's the gameplay !!!

I've started playing doom in 1994/5. Quake in 1996. I was a kid then.

Then I quit playing them until a few years ago, meanwhile experiencing all other kind of stuff.

To this day I still see doom and quake as ideal shooters, and I doubt any other game will ever match the combination of simplistic brutal gameplay, sense of ballance and the unique sense of aesthetics these games possess.

The shareware versions contain subliminal messages telling us to buy and play - which we do. :-)

I preferred the shareware versions for one reason - when you picked up the chainsaw, the sound of it's activation wasn't cut off by the sound of it's running. That's what I hated about Ultimate DOOM. Minor, yes, but irritating. I love the sound of it turning on. I terrifies my nephew.

I still play DOOM because I find it fun and addictive. That's the only reason.

SamBeckett94 said:
I preferred the shareware versions for one reason - when you picked up the chainsaw, the sound of it's activation wasn't cut off by the sound of it's running.

That doesn't depend on whether DOOM is registered (or commercially acquired) or not. All the versions of the Doom engine from 1.2 to 1.9 (and even Doom95) cut the sound off... it's the quality of the sound code that allows the silent BFG trick, if I'm not mistaken. Unless the earliest versions (1.0 and 1.1) used a sound code that didn't cut off sounds, you can only hear the full chainsaw sound when using some newer engine based on the released source, or (using Doom) if you pull the chainsaw out and exit the level before the active sound is started.

myk said:

or (using Doom) if you pull the chainsaw out and exit the level before the active sound is started.

or if you just pause... Indeed it's a terrifying noise, you can't expect the chainsaw to scream like that.

There's a very similar (but "dead") thread in the forum asking the same question, but I'll answer something here too: it's simple. Doom seems to have been the first FPS with height and angle variation, and being the first has made it quite original. Also the monsters are fun to fight - they're demons. And the guns are both classic AND sci-fi.

Pretty much everything's cool with Doom, that's why. Other shooters are either hard as in unfair (like Descent), bland-looking (Quake, sorry you fans), buggy in graphics and sounds (Quake 2). Doom's balanced.

Not that Doom 2 doesn't need new monsters. I'm tired of meeting the same ugly idiotic Chaingunners, Revenants and Arch-Viles in sci-fi themed bases. Doom 2 needs more cyborgs like Arachnotrons or Mancubi for sci-fi themed bases. And not other variations of the zombie or marine model, God forbid.

Doom is best and only real fps, has always been and always will be. I just finished shores of hell (again) and now I go through Inferno ^^

because there's so much nostalgia to the game for me, and playing it is a fun and thrilling experience. Plus, with wads, and engines like zdoom, one can make the game even better!

Doom is the king because it's so simple. Both technologically and in gameplay. The simplicity allows Doom to be played in many different ways and allows users to create a lot of different kinds of additional content easily. Of course the source ports help some in that respect, but even vanilla Doom is rather moddable.

I know why Doom is so catchy! Because it's not hard. It requires no planning or strategy, unless played on Nightmare which btw is not the most popular skill!

myk said:

That doesn't depend on whether DOOM is registered (or commercially acquired) or not. All the versions of the Doom engine from 1.2 to 1.9 (and even Doom95) cut the sound off... it's the quality of the sound code that allows the silent BFG trick, if I'm not mistaken. Unless the earliest versions (1.0 and 1.1) used a sound code that didn't cut off sounds, you can only hear the full chainsaw sound when using some newer engine based on the released source, or (using Doom) if you pull the chainsaw out and exit the level before the active sound is started.

So would it be possible for me to modify the .exe file and change that irritating little 'error'?

Captain Red said:

'coz I can mod the fucking shit out of it

There is NO fps today that can come close to Doom's modability. Period. It is among the factors that keep it going so strong today. Well said! :)

I still play Doom because its fun and has aged pretty darn well if you ask me. And editing it is fun, there's loads of custom maps available since its been out so long.

SamBeckett94 said:
So would it be possible for me to modify the .exe file and change that irritating little 'error'?

Not by hacking it, but presumably yes by editing the source code. Actually, I can't find any engine that does it regularly, although I recall hearing it on ZDaemon while on a server.

Coz Doom is full of epicness,you can make HUUUUUUGE custom maps,you can edit the skin,remodel the stuff,the music is awesome IMO and it will remains this way <33333

I guess I play Doom because it's a great game - a great CLASSIC, more rather. Classics never die - so I'm happy that I'll be playing the game for eternity. And definitely never get bored. ;)

myk said:

Not by hacking it, but presumably yes by editing the source code. Actually, I can't find any engine that does it regularly, although I recall hearing it on ZDaemon while on a server.

Maybe you can do something about it in JDoom? I can remember sounds appearing different in JDoom, beside the Heretic or v1.0-style pitching.

Jimmy91 said:

I guess I play Doom because it's a great game - a great CLASSIC, more rather. Classics never die - so I'm happy that I'll be playing the game for eternity. And definitely never get bored. ;)

It's practically impossible to get bored with countless wads and mods sitting in the archives waiting to be played, in addition to individually hosted ones.

printz said:

I know why Doom is so catchy! Because it's not hard. It requires no planning or strategy, unless played on Nightmare which btw is not the most popular skill!

Maybe in single player

Actually, multiplayer can be just as easy as single player if your opponents are also new to the game. After that, either mode needs skill and planning to get any competent results in the community.

myk said:

Actually, multiplayer can be just as easy as single player if your opponents are also new to the game. After that, either mode needs skill and planning to get any competent results in the community.

It amazes me that there can still be 'new' players for a game so old and widely known.

It's really not that amazing. Some people may have simply missed out on the game the first time around, some may not have even been born yet when the game was in its prime.