Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Zafbot

Why am i still playing doom?

the gameplay, the monsters, the weapons, the sounds, and the music.

It all just rules!

Multplayer was the best ever too.

I agree, the modability is top-notch. I mean, I know of no other game engine in existence that is so flexible. You can create huge levels with hundreds of monsters, you can have more puzzle-oriented levels, you can have strategy-oriented levels... Just, whatever kind of gameplay you want, you can make it happen in Doom.

The games ability to be manipulated makes virtually unlimited scenarios possible. The avalibility of wads is vast and easy to acess. You wont see this with modern games.

Relativly simple gameplay mechanics which are somehow just fun.

The atmosphere is unique; and nothing else is like it.

Plus it's nostolgic.

Its gameplay is simple and it and can be modified so easily and so powerfully that it can change into a whole new game altogether.

Almost infinite variety. With around 6,000 single-player wads in the archive I could play a different one every day until Doom's 31st birthday - assuming I still have hardware capable of running the game.

I downloaded the Doom demo off iD software's BBS group way back. I was about 6, and the download took a full day to finish.

I pick it up again every couple years to have a bit of fun, then drop it again.

Doom is simply an addictive game...awfully hard to quit once you played.See i started Doom when i was 8...and now im 19 and still play.I still remember when i seen the red cartridge(yes my first version was the SNES one)As soon as i seen the gun and heard the music...there i was already addicted and since i discovered stuff such as the Builder and the high numbers of wads/megawads released i got even more addicted.

This game is eternal.

Instant gratification. no cd required. and it doesnt take 15 years* to get in the game.

*securom (or any other anti-piracy check software for that matter)

it never gets old for me because there are just such a vast amount of mods and levels out there that it can never get old,
also brings back the memory's from playing doom on the ps1 till daybreak with my drunk step dad

Because I beleive every first person shooter that came out after doom are just mods of doom, and I like to play the real thing.

Zafbot said:

For the past few years...ive been playing mostly counter strike, and i love the game. My friends and I would play for hours and hours daily, playing matches, in leagues, lanning, etc. But the first fps i played was Doom, on the SNES awhile back, when SNES was big. Since then i always had something for doom, i would play it on my moms pc, which had a broken sound card, and i would use the arrow keys (which back than, was the only way i knew how, i dont think the mouse was compatible, maybe im wrong) But ive always had a "thing" for the game, and every few years i pick it up and play it, and its still very enjoyable, but why? The game is so old, and dated, but i love playing it. The graphics for it dont bother me either, they feel very natural, and perfect for the game. Does anyone feel the same way?

Honestly Bobby Prince and whoever else worked on the sounds for this game (particularly Doom 1) deserve an Oscar. Cacodemon death sound is genius. Baron of hell death sound is even more genius. The screaming sounds of the enemies. The player's excruciating death scream when his health goes way negative. Seriously, the sounds in this game are unmatched by Hollywood's big studio blockbusters. The way the former humans and imps go gooey when they explode. The lightning fast gameplay--the fact its unrealistic is why this game is so fun. Realism in games is just no good.

The demon. Everything about him. His snort when he sees/hears you. His grunt as he comes at you, his snort when he dies and his thump when he lands.

The death sequence of the cacodemon is as perfect as the demon. Death sequence of Baron is still awesome to this day--his rising scream is just so unholy. The only monsters that I ever felt had somewhat weak death sequence were the cyberdemon and former humans. The former humans overall are not terribly well rendered. But basically its the sounds and graphics that make Doom so good combined with the furious gameplay. It oozes atmosphere of the right kind. The fact that it's not gothic! I only played the doom 3 demo briefly--but it was too dark and too much trying to be realistic--just didn't appeal. I like the 'illogical' or strange environments of Doom. You don't know what they are--you can't really describe them--they lend an atmosphere and world all its own--entirely unique--unlike new games that try to be cool. Just doesn't appeal. I don't play many new games at all, so maybe someone can mention another FPS that matches doom in any of the respects I've just delineated?