Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Bboy TYS

Hip Hop: A Culture Misinterpreted

As many of you seen on MTV, radio, magazines, etc, Hip Hop culture is interpreted as a gangster culture. That is wrong. Just slap yourselves. You're all just being brainwashed by the stupid media going on in Hollywood since the 90s. You're just the media's puppet for business. It's their way of making money.

Hip Hop represented in the 80s was real. It was all about the culture's elements and knowledge. Breakdancing, DJing, Graffiti, and Emceeing (or rapping). We never made hip hop about gangs, drugs, etc. Our fathers of the culture have participated in one of those activities, but they never made it a culture about the bad things. Hip hop was a culture about anti-gang and fight without violence.

Souljaboy has killed hip hop culture more than it did already. I really hate him, I'm glad there are people who hate him but don't know a thing about hip hop. His music made the teen generation of America think it's just some shit about black. And he is such a disgrace to the real hip hop culture itslef. He is not a rapper, he's just an entertainer.

That wraps up what Hip Hop is. Check these sites find out more about the real hip hop culture.

http://www.spartanic.ch/86/hiphopculture/
http://www.globaldarkness.com/articles/true_meaning_of_hip_hop_bambaata.htm

you're right. hiphop is the happiest culture where people don't shoot eachother, tag badly written obscenities on buildings without permission, and getting hoes.

I love the way that hip-hop videos confirm and perpetuate every stereotype that "nice people" have about "niggers".

Saul William's wack, he ain't hip hop either. He's also insulting Rakim, that's one bad part. Rakim's one of the legends in hip hop history. Saul's also got no rhyme scheme in his lyrics, that wasn't even rapping. A lot of fake hip hop artists make lyrics like that man. That's pretty much it :).

The media always tries to blame hip hop for guns and violence. Why don't people stress enough that hip hop isn't at all about violence.
Either way I like rap and hip hop.

In before PH

♫ It's tricky to make a post and talk bout stuff and not get helled it's tricky. ♫

Yes Mystikal back in position
Travelling through time like a metaphysician
You hear my words but the message is hidden
Like Jeffrey Archer being fucked by the wardens in prison
Travelling through time on a golden BMX
Twisting dimensions in a never ending vortex
I went to the future, and this is what i saw
Charlie Ferris was prime minister and he'd legalised draw

Woo-ooo i'm the alachaemist
I'm the illegal alchaemist
I'm the alchaemist in Newport
woo-oo

I said 1-2-3
This shit is called alchaemy
Turning stuff into gold you see
Then sell it on for the G-L-C
Whay-Oh
M-Y-S-T-I-K-A to the L
Like Paul McKenna i'll put you under my spell
Gold chain around my neck, and a celtic tattoo
Sweet herbs and spices and medieval glue

When will people realize that if you talk about any type of music other than metal or rock in the Doom community, you're going to get shit for it?

NiGHTMARE said:

When will people realize that if you talk about any type of music other than metal or rock in the Doom community, you're going to get shit for it?

What :( I think there was a "what type of music do you listen to" a few weeks ago and nobody seemed to "get shit" for anything really.

Bboy TYS said:

As many of you seen on MTV, radio, magazines, etc, Hip Hop culture is interpreted as a gangster culture. That is wrong. Just slap yourselves. You're all just being brainwashed by the stupid media going on in Hollywood since the 90s. You're just the media's puppet for business. It's their way of making money.

To expand on the point I was (clumsily) making in my first post in this thread, I think you have it back to front, to a certain degree. Why is hip-hop culture interpreted in such a way? All you have to do is spend a few minute surfing across the music channels and you will see video after video after video of hip-hop artists in aggressive poses "spitting out lyrics" whilst grimacing at the camera (the camera usually being placed in a low position as the artiste leers down towards it making those retarded mongoloid hand gestures). There will be moody shots of the band hanging on street corners, cruising in pimped out cars and there will be an endless supply of bitches shaking their booty asses whilst wearing almost nothing. On more lenient channels, there may even be the occasional flash of a gun.

Why does that happen? Is it driven by the media? Do the artists get much choice in how they are portrayed? Is it driven by the artists? Are they all just doing what sells? I don't know, but almost every bit of public exposure you get to hip-hop is presented in that way: and that is coming from the people in the business and the people making the records - not the news or sensationalist journalists. But let's face it, it hasn't done the artists concerned any harm has it. They may hang around on street corners in their videos, but they go home to houses that most people can only dream of living in.

If hip-hop artists have a problem about how they are portrayed by "the media and Hollywood" they need to sort out their own house first and stop perpetuating the image themselves.

But don't get all bent out of shape about it only being hip-hop. Almost all forms of music have a large number of artists who portray a populist image of what the genre is all about. These people grab the headlines "shock" people (by doing exactly what they need and are expected to do (see Marilyn Manson)) and at the same time have people who are "genuinely into the music" pissing and moaning about the public image that these bands portray and how "the press has it wrong". How many "hip-hop's not like that", "Metal's not like that", "Goth's not like that", "Emo's not like that" conversations etc etc have you heard? Just step back from it and treat the image as just that - an image - a cultivated one at that which makes many artists and record companies rich. Does it have any genuine or real effect on your life? If so, why? Anyone who thinks the image is actually a genuine representation of the culture (if indeed there is a culture) is misinformed, stupid or immature. So why should they matter?

Oh, and to be clear on the point, I like a lot of hip-hop so I'm not anti-hip-hop at all.

You're really batting 1000 here. Next off you're going to tell us how much you like Honda Civics or something.

In my opinion, the epitome of rap is either Sugarhill Gang or NWA. I don't know what that says about me.

Real Rap isn't so unlike real Punk in what it acomplishes. Screw the phony MTV shit. They won't play rap that says something meaningful and threatens corporate government bullshit just the way real punk is completely blacklisted. People often associate punk with the 80's because that's when the mainstream media used watered down punk rock stealing punk's image. In the early 90's they figured they exploited it all they could, got bored with their byproduct, and discarded it. Now the image has come back in the mainstream with punkish-looking shitty emo. Meanwhile real punk has always been alive and kicking in its timeless style.

For some real rap check out Paranoid and TCM at
http://rapsheetz.com

all music "cultures" are misinterpreted. if you listen to one type of music, people will tend to label you as something. like, if you listen to classical music, you'll get labeled as a nerd, if you listen to metal, you are labeled as satan or babykiller, if you listen to punk you will be a freak, etc etc.

well that is what its like at school, and from what i heard from my brother, thats what its like in the marines.

I agree with the OP, I was just recently annoyed by this sad turn of events last night and honestly pretty much throughout all college. People listen to Soulja Boy and Lil Jon and 50 Cent and say "YO RAP IS SO BADASS!!" Calling those "artists" rappers is like saying N*Sync was the best rock group of the 90s. Black Lead != Rap. It easily can equal club pop with extraneous swearing and violence.

Anyone listen to Sunz of Man? I've been listening to them a lot again recently. I know Kid Airbag likes Tribe, I just got into them a few months ago. Lupe and Kanye are definitely better than the majority of their peers but I know this is highly controversial territory (whether they are "fresh air" or more of the same). Eminem is really good, but it sucks he always supported 50 who has Candy Shop, an ego the size of a small country and more beef than a butcher shop. Plus despite how much I really like Eminem, I can't deny that he does do the same songs over and over although he pulls it off pretty well I guess. Hmmm, then just random classics (Rapper's Delight) and then a lot of classic Jay-Z, etc. I like hip hop but I don't know as much about it as it's true fan's. I follow rock a lot more (or better yet look back at rock or what came as close as possible to the ideal of rock for the cynical amongst us).

MasterSyphadias said:

slave songs

I think the proper term is "spirituals". I feel like making making some kind of family tree of modern music. Start with 1900 or so when it was basically just spirituals, bluegrass, and modern (modern orchestral), then go from there. It would be like Ishkur's Guide, except not just electronic music and it would skip all the bullshit subgenres.

POTGIESSER said:

(Video)

Haha, fuckin' win. That's the story of my life.

For a while I've been thinking about searching for some really underground hiphop and rap genres, basically what punk and metal is around the generic theme of alternative rock. Hopefully find rap and hiphop that stands for the same grounds that punk does, I'd listen to it. But I never got to it.

insertwackynamehere said:

Lupe and Kanye are definitely better than the majority of their peers but I know this is highly controversial territory (whether they are "fresh air" or more of the same).

Lupe is fantastic. He really is a breath of fresh air as far as really mainstream stuff goes. I knew who he was, but was pretty much just dismissing him as yet another radio rap artist until he was one of the opening acts at our Springfest concert last year. Since then, I actually listened to him and he is really quite good.

Kanye, on the other hand, is kind of boring. I like some of his songs, but for the most part it's just him puffing his inflated head up and letting off a lot of hot air.

Eminem is really good, but it sucks he always supported 50 who has Candy Shop, an ego the size of a small country and more beef than a butcher shop. Plus despite how much I really like Eminem, I can't deny that he does do the same songs over and over although he pulls it off pretty well I guess.

Eminem was great through about two albums, then he stopped trying because he became big enough that everything he puts out will sell because people are stupid. It seems like he hasn't even been trying since then.

Very True, Hip-Hop and Punk are synonymous! Both share the Do It Yourself Ethic, both were generated from the repressed and poor as a means to "CREATE" there own entertainment rather than allow themselves to be dumbed down by the main stream. On top of that both offer insight into the hypocrisy of the social, political, and religious realm, and encourage one to develope one's self from within, rather than measure one's worth by what is without. Though some punk was just made by spoiled white kids who were mad at there parents and just wanted to break things and wine...

...hence the whole Emo scene we have today.

And on that note HOT TOPIC IS NOT PUNK ROCK!!! ;)

Now as for a list of Hip-Hop acts I can't get enough of:

Public Enemy
KRS-ONE
Antipop Consortium
Kool Keith
Airborn Audio
Immortal Technique
Saul Williams
Wu-Tang
Disposable Heroes of HipHopcrasy
The Grave Diggaz
Sunz Of Man
Run-DMC
Funkdoobiest
DJ Spooky
Grand Master Flash
The Last Poets
Gil Scott Heron
Professor Griff
Mr. Lif
Grime
Poor Righteous Teachers
Beastie Boys
Sir Menelik
Paris
EPMD
Jedi Mind Tricks
The Invisibl Skratch Piklz

I also enjoy Nerdcore! And I love the show The Boondocks! ;)

That's the only album I have too! Though that will soon change as I'm sure with a name like Sunz of Man, the other two albums will be "conscious" as well.

If you beat me to the punch, be sure to check in and let me know what you think of them!

Kid Airbag said:

Yeah so are you ever going to put more than four songs out?

YES! We're actually going to probably re-record all of those songs and finish our album starting this monday and hopefully finish by july or august. All of the songs are written but my other writing/recording half is strapped down at Duquesne for most of the year

MasterSyphadias said:

Both share the Do It Yourself Ethic, both were generated from the repressed and poor as a means to "CREATE" there own entertainment rather than allow themselves to be dumbed down by the main stream.

With that said, I find what many deem "real" punk music to be abysmal trash dumbed down well beyond what any main stream media could put on you. The roots of hip-hop on the other hand have some real geniuses behind it.

My balls are more creative than early, modern, and future punk bands.

Also, Del Tha Funky Homosapien aka Deltron is also another spectacular lyricist.