Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Lizardcommando

Voxelstein 3D

I imagine a large scale molecular voxel engine would dynamically (at load time) generate the environment from preset values, properties and rules. This would still be very complex, though. And the real time data amount would be mind blowing.

You could generate scenery procedurally, but the memory requirements would still be hideous. Deformable geometry wouldn't work, either.

Carmack has been tinkering with voxel data structures for quite some time, he intends to make whatever engine after Rage's stream geometry data in a virtualized way the way it currently does for unlimited texture rendering in the screen's limited resolution.

Voxels are fine as long as they stay as internal data structures, rendering them directly is absurd. Crysis uses them to great wonders to construct polygonal representations that serve as the island's terrain (by using voxelmaps they manage to circumvent the intrinsic limitations of heightmaps, which are not really that different from Doom's 2.5D engine limitations).

david_a said:

One of the big problems with voxels is the data structure used to hold them...

I'm sure with the proper use of Array's it could be done well.

Well... voxels models in a game like doom (Im talking real doom looks, software rendering) would be nice... would improve graphics in a way that is more "natural" in doom than 3d models...

Just with the original low resolution.

Im not talking of converting EVERYTHING from sprites to voxels... just the more important part... the players. (i dont really care about the monsters) and the weapons (just imagine a 'sprite like' player carrying the right gun instead of the generic rifle he always has)

The problem, is, a good animation system has to be defined (Voxelstein has some kind of 'ragdoll' effects, but clearly this has to improve a lot). If such a thing exists, i'll gladly spend time some making some voxel models for the doom marine.

Besides... i've been always a fan of software rendering. 3d accelerators and doom should not mix... IMHO.

I seem to vaguely remember someone working on voxel Doom weapons.

Interesting. The weapons and ammo look surprisingly good in that format but the spherical powerups just don't work. You know, I've never even thought of the skull keys of having any depth at all. I just imagine some sort of flat skull relic.

Sounds likes voxels are aggravating to program with.

NEver seen this before, it looks interesting but I too can't help but think of legomen when I saw the dead officer.

Guest DILDOMASTER666
Bloodskull said:

I'm sure with the proper use of Array's it could be done well.

Not likely. Consider the sheer number of voxels that you must keep track of, and the fact that at higher "voxel resolutions" (is there a word for this?), you must maintain a higher standard of precision. If the world was, somewhat similarly to DOOM, a 32,768 unit-cubed region, and each voxel were of a set 256-color value, then you would require at least 32 terabytes of space to store that (I hope I made a miscalculation here...), and that's not including all the extra variables and stuff for the player, enemies, etc...

Now, if each room, or even better individual walls and/or objects were stored in a format somewhat reminiscent of Unreal's Static Meshes, then you might be on to something there.

EDIT:

A job well done.

Using a static cubic Voxel structure to store a Doom-like world would be overkill - unless you really need to consider each and every voxel as a separate object in order to do minute manipulation and fully interactive environments, including void voxels.

However, even just considering certain voxels parts of specific objects and at most manipulating smaller 3D grids would be enough and much more efficient. Perhaps a mixed engine using textures and voxel objects would still be more appropriate, and easier to render.

Imagine...a custom Doom source port with support for Voxel sprites and voxel sectors (yeah, Voxel sectors): e.g. crates or doors that can be destroyed, and defining them to be as simple as placing a specific sector tag e.g. "Solid" or "Voxel".

Ok,nevermind.It wont run on my comp for something.It just crashes...my luck.Anyone else have this problem?

I got it going,and it was fun for the first five minutes but after that I lost interest and started playing doom again.I mean the concept is a good Idea but its so damn ugly...
I do like the damage that you could inflict on the nazi's though,the first time I shot one of the guards in the face I saw his fucking eye pop out.I don't think I've laughed like that in a long time.

But isn't there a way you can implement the soldier of fortune bodily damage into a doom port and use it for the monster models?

edit:there is only one level on voxelstein right?