Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
DeumReaper

My WAD hasn't reached vanilla limit, has it?

I'm making a level in DeePSea for vanilla Doom II (doom2.exe under DOSBox), and I've come to a point where adding at least one sector causes Doom II to crash.

I have a backup of the PWAD to where it doesn't crash (see link below), but if I add to it, specifically what happens is after choosing the difficulty, it tries to load the level, freezes for a little bit, then the screen turns into large garbled text (I think to DOS; typing exit+enter still works).

I'm used to superimposing sectors when I map, so I'm thinking that it could be because of bloated data involving unused sectors/linedefs/etc but I've tried DeePSea's autofixes and error checking. I've even opened up the PWAD in Doom Builder and done the same but I still get the same crash. I originally built the nodes with xennode, but I tried using BSP and GLBSP and they don't help.

Here is the link to the backup (http://rapidshare.de/files/39183222/DEUM.WAD.html)
to reproduce the error try playing after adding any sector(s).

I'm not going to rule out any compromises such as having it play on a limit-removing port, or just add an exit and continue it with more than one level, but if I can still keep it one level and doom2.exe compatible then I'm asking if you guys can help me with getting around this crash.

If you modify the wad and it works using Doom+ while it fails using Doom you've definitely hit a limit.

No, just a simple PEBKAC issue.

Issue #1 - Linedef 2190 (in the room on the far southeast corner of your map) has two sides when it should only have one. This causes the sector to spill out of its bounds (so to speak). DoomBuilder reports this error, can't see how you missed it.

Issue #2 - (and this is the real killer) In the northwestern most corner of your map you have 4 monster pins with some chaingunners and other enemies. All four of these pins have walls that are double sided, causing all 4 pins to spill into infinity and causing any room you add near them to be surrounded by 2 sided lines as well. This is what screws up Doom when you try to add more sectors.

Once I fixed both of these errors, I was able to add another 5000+ sectors and still not have Doom2.exe (or Chocolate Doom) crash.

Doom Builder is more than lax with the handling of 2S lines. I've had problems like these pop up while doing what should have been ordinary valid editing gestures. So in short, you have to be very careful when adding or deleting sectors.

This is why I always liked line-based editing more. Sidedefs were not added, removed, or associated with sectors unless you explicitly caused those things to happen, and therefore there were no bugs to hit :P

Hush you. PEBKAC issue.

No really, why do I not have such problems?! Ok I don't make a map a day, but I have made maps with Doom Builder and not experienced such bugs.

When deleting areas in lines mode, yea sure you can mess things up by leaving sidedefs on other lines intact that still point to the sector you just broke, that is what you asked DB to do by removing one line only. To delete a sector, you go into sectors mode and delete it: DB will correctly remove the sidedefs from all lines they should be removed from, as well as updating the 'doublesided' flag.

Nuxius said:
Issue #2 - (and this is the real killer) In the northwestern most corner of your map you have 4 monster pins with some chaingunners and other enemies. All four of these pins have walls that are double sided, causing all 4 pins to spill into infinity and causing any room you add near them to be surrounded by 2 sided lines as well. This is what screws up Doom when you try to add more sectors.

Ok this makes sense since the way I created that area was flaky and poorly done. But I have removed this area (note: I just deleted the sectors and everything inside of it) and replaced it with a substitute set of areas (opening 4 doors with that one switch). It didn't crash and was working fine. But I've expanded on the southeastern corner and now it's crashing again!
See this PWAD:(http://rapidshare.de/files/39190718/DEUM.WAD.html)

Once I fixed both of these errors, I was able to add another 5000+ sectors and still not have Doom2.exe (or Chocolate Doom) crash.

Can you be more specific about how you fixed it? I may have missed something.

Actually, I think now you've exceeded a vanilla limit on the number of "scroll texture left" lines you can have. I forget what the limit is exactly, but 66 is too many.

If I'm not mistaken that is MAXLINEANIMS, and the limit to that is 64.

Creaphis said:
Actually, I think now you've exceeded a vanilla limit on the number of "scroll texture left" lines you can have. I forget what the limit is exactly, but 66 is too many.

myk said:
If I'm not mistaken that is MAXLINEANIMS, and the limit to that is 64.

Ahh I had no idea about this limit. I set the scrolling linedefs to normal and I am no longer crashing as I expand on the map. Guess I went crazy with scrolling textures and should be more decisive on where to use them. Thanks everyone.

Ah, so that would explain why it didn't crash for me then, as I just added a bunch of normal linedefs.

At least I learned something new. Have to keep that in mind when working on vanilla Doom maps... not that I really ever use scrolling linedefs that much anyway. :p