Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
KennyJC

Can no longer open a particular WAD

Last night I was working on a level, and when I tried to save it, it said "permission denied". Took me a while to notice that I had 2 Doom Builders open, both with the same level loaded. So I closed the other Doom Builder then tried to save it again, but it gave me a different error message.. I forget which it was. Tried to "save as", but got the same error message. I then closed down all Doom Builders, then tried to open the same WAD file again, but in the "select map from temple.wad" screen which everything had always been pre-loaded (textures etc), it was blank... no "map01". I can not get past this screen as I can not click "OK".

Other WADS load just fine, but not this one. Seems like trying to save the WAD file with 2 Doom Builders open screwed it up beyond repair? Tried rebooting, but to no avail.

Luckily I have a backup from 2 days ago of the file. I only hope that works too!

Using Windows Vista 64 bit SP1.

I'm not surprised if it's with Vista as OS.
You haven't any backfiles ? If yes rename 'wadname.wad.001.bak' (or 002, 003, ...) as 'wadname.wad'.

Edit : doh I should read slower the posts...

Well the wad itself, and the first two backup files (probably from save spamming when the error first occurred) were 1kb in size. So the WAD was completely zapped.

Luckily the 3rd backup was unharmed and I won't need to go back the backup from 2 days ago, so I don't lose much work.

Opening the same wad with 2 Doom Builders would probably be your problem. VB6 isn't friendly with non-English, so I wouldn't be surprised if the 64-bit OS is causing the problem

I'm finding out that it wasn't due to the fact I had two Doom Builders open. I am getting these errors constantly.

I have to save really often due to the number of crashes I'm getting so that I don't lose a lot of work... But the problem is that because I'm saving so often, I'm just getting shitloads of errors which often zap the wad down to a 1K/b file meaning I continually have to keep renaming my backup files.

I guess it's because of Vista, because I didn't get crashes anything like as often as this on XP. It only happens when I save or when I go into 3d mode. I have a deep breath before doing either.

KennyJC said:

I'm finding out that it wasn't due to the fact I had two Doom Builders open. I am getting these errors constantly.

I have to save really often due to the number of crashes I'm getting so that I don't lose a lot of work... But the problem is that because I'm saving so often, I'm just getting shitloads of errors which often zap the wad down to a 1K/b file meaning I continually have to keep renaming my backup files.

I guess it's because of Vista, because I didn't get crashes anything like as often as this on XP. It only happens when I save or when I go into 3d mode. I have a deep breath before doing either.

Why don't you set compatilibity mode to 98? it should fix it

alterworldruler said:

Why don't you set compatilibity mode to 98? it should fix it

That seems to have made it a bit more stable.. but I still sometimes hit a brick wall with errors and can't get into a rhythmn.

If you're getting error 5, the only way I've found to reliably prevent it using Vista is to start the task manager and select "End task" for "explorer.exe". Then you can save at will with no problems. This will make your desktop icons disappear, but you can get them back by selecting "New Task" and typing "explorer.exe". Error 5 frees the memory location in preparation to save, but can't save it, functionally deleting your work by reducing it to an empty memory location.

You're error sounds like this one. I hope this helps. =)

Boy howdy, do I wish this bug was fixed - it's the only thing that's keeping me from using Doom Builder.

Doombuilder was released before Vista was, so issues arising from using them together were at the time unforeseen. I'm pretty sure CodeImp is planning on making Doom Builder 2 Vista compatible as opposed to "fixing" the original since DB2 is already in the works anyway.

Death-Destiny said:

If you're getting error 5, the only way I've found to reliably prevent it using Vista is to start the task manager and select "End task" for "explorer.exe". Then you can save at will with no problems. This will make your desktop icons disappear, but you can get them back by selecting "New Task" and typing "explorer.exe". Error 5 frees the memory location in preparation to save, but can't save it, functionally deleting your work by reducing it to an empty memory location.

You're error sounds like this one. I hope this helps. =)

That actually worked like a treat.

It's funny because I just started a new map about 10 days ago and didn't start getting this error until I reached about 1,500 verts. By which point I then started getting the error 5 about 30% of the time I saved the wad. But getting rid of explorer.exe means I'm so far error free in save attempt.s