Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
jobro

Suspicious activities, maybe a keyboard logger.

So I need some help. I don't know if anyone has had this problem. I type on my keyboard, and all by a sudden it gives a delay until it continues printing out a bunch of characters I recently wrote. Has anyone experienced this and how did you solve it? I suspect a keyboard logger has been attached to my system, and I need it out.

Firewall: Outpost
Antivirus: Panda

What other tools should I run?

hardware loggers are easy to see, look for a box at the other end of your keyboard cord.

It could also simply mean your computer is too slow for you. I remember that behavior on a crappy old Pentium 133 bogged down with crap like there was no tomorrow :P

MikeRS said:

It could also simply mean your computer is too slow for you. I remember that behavior on a crappy old Pentium 133 bogged down with crap like there was no tomorrow :P

Yeah that's probably the answer.

Yeah, I remember on some of my older computers, I'd get typing delays when I was running low on RAM.

If the utilities Searcher recommended don't turn up anything (SpyBot is good) - try HijackThis. I doubt that it's a key-logger, they usually try to avoid drawing attention to themselves.

Have you checked your CPU and Pagefile usage in the Windows Task Manager? If it doesn't get in the way too much, leave the Task Manager on-screen at the Performance tab so you can see if the delay's accomapanied by a spike in usage. If there is - switch to the Processes tab, sort by CPU column (System Idle Process should move to the top) then see what jumps up the list with the next delay. Identify that process and you might have your culprit.

While Hijackthis is an outstanding tool in it's own right, it is like handing a loaded gun to a child. You can hose your system at maximum warp in the wrong hands.

Unless you know the processes shown there, or are willing to do the research on them, that is a tool best left to the experienced. You need to know how to interpret the processes shown on it. They are not all bad and should never be assumed to be.

The link I provided above will get you to a place to post your hijack this log and have it looked over by the pros over there. It is part of the normal process there. I sometimes volunteer over there so have far more than the "average" knowledge about this stuff.

MikeRS said:

More rarely it may be indicative of hardware conflicts, especially bus contention/latency. I experienced this when I installed an Audigy 4 which proved to be a defective piece of shit that almost burnt my PCI lines and SATA controller, and was detectable with a PCI bus latency tool like this one:

http://www.thesycon.de/deu/latency_check.shtml

If you "see red" with it, then something is probably wrong with some of your system's hardware components and/or drivers.

On my old Pentium II box I have some sort of contention between the hard drive and the keyboard. Whenever there is a major hard drive read/write, such as during a page fault, the keyboard stalls until it has finished. This used to give me (and other people) grief in IRC, as it would lock whatever keys I had down at the moment it started, and if I had hit enter already, it would automatically send the now extended line. So it was regular to see this:

<Quasar`> Helloooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo

Very annoying.

ati2evxx is eating up cpu cycles and trying to steal priority. This is only if you use an ATI card though. Terminate them and check if you have better input.
You can also open up Task Manager and change Priority to Low on whatever you're typing on.