Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Texas Libra

New NIN single...it's free, too

Just today Nine Inch Nails released a new song, called "Discipline", to radio stations across the US. A few hours later it made its way onto the Internet. The amazing thing is the song was mastered in less than 24 hours. Kinda makes you wonder.

Official news at the nin.com]NIN homepage. Story on it, with download link, here. I just gave it a listen, and honestly I thought it was the poppiest NIN I've ever heard. Not saying that's good or bad...it just is.

Discuss.

Every new NIN release makes me long for the pre-Year Zero NIN more. I will forever respect Trent -- and you have to give him credit for experimenting with fresh ways of getting his music out there -- but this new stuff just doesn't do anything for me. This song especially. I feel very indifferent toward it, which is a word I never thought I'd use to describe his music.

Ryathaen said:

pre-Year Zero NIN

You saying you actually liked With Teeth? IMO, Year Zero was a step up from that. Of course, I'm more a synth geek. I do respect him for trying different forms over time as well; the same sadly can't be said about most modern "bands" and "musicians" these days.

My verdict: yes, it's a bit campy for what we all know and love as NIN, and I'll just have to wait and see what he delivers after this. After all, it's just one song out of a possible bigger project (to be released in July from what I hear).

Texas Libra said:

You saying you actually liked With Teeth?

Certainly. Not as much as The Downward Spiral or The Fragile, of course. My opinion was that while Year Zero was probably better from a technical, musical standpoint, it was lacking in the emotion of Reznor's previous work. With Teeth was more about his inner turmoil and doubt while Year Zero was basically a fiction about where he thought the world might end up if it continued in the same direction.

No, With Teeth was pretty horrible. I found Year Zero to have a lot more soul in it. With Teeth was just yelling and singing badly. Though Sunspots IS probably his best song since Fragile. Also, I liked Ghosts okay as background music, which is what it was intended to be. I still need to buy that.

Anyway, if this new song is a Throbbing Gristle cover, I'm going to lol, though it would be too loopy even for Trent.

Regardless of the overall quality of the song, it's quite a strange feeling to have the equivalent of "so here's something I did yesterday, enjoy" coming from an established artist. It's like the benefits for dropping label once you're famous a neverending list.

Danarchy said:

No, With Teeth was pretty horrible.

You know, that's the general concensus, but I really like All the Love in the World, The Collector, With Teeth, Sunspots, Only, RWIB...mainly All the Love in the World.

Fucking All the Love in the World.

They also released an album with Saul Williams for free called. Niggy Tardust or something to that effect. I'm not a huge NIN fan, but I do like there turn to the positive as of late.

I was actually digging it until it hit the chorus. Hopefully this isn't a reflection of the rest of the album. I personally hated With Teeth when I first heard it, but after listening to it a few times it grew on me. Which reminds me, back before the Fragile, when Trent was sporting a mustache and such, he and a friend's brother went on a fishing trip and took a picture. It's strange seeing Trent in the woods wearing something other than black with a straw hat on and this goofy look on his face. I'll have to ask for that photo the next time I harass them.

Hopefully it's not like the mangina pic.

Anyway, I think the new single is very meh. That's how I think of most new NIN though, so...we'll see.

Danarchy said:

No, With Teeth was pretty horrible. I found Year Zero to have a lot more soul in it.

I can't fathom why most people seem to share this opinion with you. There's nothing good about Year Zero. It doesn't have a single good song on it. Even Ghosts is better. Also agreeing with Zaldron that All the Love in the World is awesome.

I listened to Disclipline once. It didn't really grab me, but it might have potential on repeated listenings (like many NIN songs).

My sincerest apologies for bashing anyone's opinion. Everybody's right...but everybody's wrong, too ;)

But while we're still on the subject, the whole argument of With Teeth (which wasn't downright horrible IMO, just not the best I've heard from NIN) as an expression of personal inner turmoil vs. Year Zero as an impersonal, much broader concept album is apples and oranges to me. My own taste ranges from the very emotional (e.g. Type O Negative, Depeche Mode) to the very technical, structured stuff (e.g. Front 242, Nitzer Ebb). Basically, it all depends on just how good I think it is.

Wow, wasn't that cliche?

What I find funny about the whole With Teeth vs Year Zero debate is that although their styles contrast quite a lot, both were made at pretty much the same time. Regardless, I like both, but Year Zero is the superior one to me because I just like noise.

I honestly thought Discipline was from "With Teeth" until the radio station said otherwise. I hope the other stuff coming out will be better.

I didn't realize With Teeth was so unpopular. Off the top of my head, I'd have to say it would rank in the top third if I made a list of Nine Inch Nails albums, and I probably would have to say I like it more than The Fragile.

I like With Teeth. All of it, as far as I can recall. I will now attempt to get a hold of this single.

LordK said:

It doesn't have a single good song on it. Even Ghosts is better.

When I first listened to it, I didn't like it, but I still thought In This Twilight was a great song. After a while, I started liking a lot of the other songs on it, namely The Great Destroyer, The Warning, Meet Your Master, and The Good Soldier. It starts out pretty weak, but it gets a lot better about halfway through.

Richo Rosai said:

I didn't realize With Teeth was so unpopular. Off the top of my head, I'd have to say it would rank in the top third if I made a list of Nine Inch Nails albums, and I probably would have to say I like it more than The Fragile.

I didn't realize With Teeth was so popular. Before this thread, I didn't know of anyone who liked With Teeth more than Year Zero. Also, I've never heard anyone rank post-Fragile albums above his earlier stuff. Ah well.

I still say Broken is the best NIN album. It's a hidden gem. Now if only I could find a version that didn't have the 91-track gap on it. I hear rumor that there may be a redux on it like they did with TDS, and if so I hope they do that.

Danarchy said:

I still say Broken is the best NIN album.

Whoa, and I thought I was the resident Broken fan on here.

Danarchy also said:

Now if only I could find a version that didn't have the 91-track gap on it.

a) The only physical version where that isn't so is one of the original releases with the 3" mini disc included, which I've found on eBay many times and assume that's not what you're looking for.

b) That shouldn't be much of problem if you're ripping the CD into MP3s, just don't rip tracks 7-97 ;)

Broken is hidden from whom? It won a fucking Grammy award. Anyway, if you consider it an album, it's one of my favorites as well, especially with the awesomeness of the accompanying Movie.

I like WT for the same reason I don't like YZ much and why I like Fragile less--I usually judge the lyrics first. WT has a lower ratio of preachy bullshit and rhyming every other word with "decay" or "pain" to catchy hooks and clever/interesting vocal melodies.

I also liked Broken, specifically the harshness of the tones and vocals. I also like the vocal melodies on With Teeth, it's nice to hear him sing a bit instead of scream or that singing-talking thing he does.

Richo Rosai said:

Broken is hidden from whom? It won a fucking Grammy award. Anyway, if you consider it an album, it's one of my favorites as well, especially with the awesomeness of the accompanying Movie.

I didn't know it won a grammy. I'm saying it's probably the least-known NIN album, and for some reason a lot of people don't consider it an album just because it's put in the "EP" category. Really, I don't see any difference between EPs and LPs aside from length, and even then it gets hazy. It was the last NIN album I listened to (of the four that were out when I first became a fan) too. The more casual fan may have never listened to it.

Broken's the one I can't really stand. I totally understand how it appeals by its sheer savagery, but as a person who really dislikes screaming and/or metalish influences, I prefer the noisy/atonal Further Down the Spiral take on "heavy".

Your opinion on Broken is totally understandable, Zaldron. It's one of those discs that unless you have a REALLY broad definition of what's considered "music" and/or you went through your own angry phase in life, it's not your cup of tea. Also you have to consider nearly the whole album was a personal stab at Steve Gottleib of TVT Records (hence the "Eat your heart out, Steve" whisper at the beginning of Physical, before the real lyrics begin), as well as just a lashing out after his frustrations over a very long legal battle.

I think in terms of raw emotion, it's the best NIN album. But I can understand why one wouldn't listen to it. It's one of the very few "heavy" albums I'll listen to on a regular basis.

I do appreciate its experimental vein compared to the stuff he releases today, which is why I actually like Fixed.