Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
RiffRaff1138

D2Xtreme: What's stolen from where?

I've heard many times over that Doom II Xtreme and Gold consist mostly, if not entirely, of uncredited stolen content. What I've never heard is exactly what is stolen from exactly where. Is there any sort of definitive list of where everything came from? I'd like to see everything in its original context.

The only things I recognize are the Eternal Doom statusbar in D2X, and Otakon's status portrait, the laser rifle and an enemy from Dark Forces, Heretic's wizard, and Hexen's Quietus in Gold.

Yeah, many of them are from Final Doom. I think the others are just from random pwads from the time. There's one map, called Baron's Keep in the wad I think (giant brown brick castle map, you start out down low and can walk around the entire castle) which comes from a wad from 1996. I can't remember the name of the wad though; I remember VinceDSS saying it was one of his favorite levels though.

Edit: I'm talking about Gold, by the way.

Well hell. The Final Doom maps will be easy enough to identify, but the random pwads... There's probably no hope of ever finding the originals.

One of the reasons I'm asking is that there's one particular map in D2X that I'd swear I've played before, but I don't know where. It's map 10, labeled as "Onslaught", but it's not Plutonia's Onslaught. (Many of D2X's maps seem to have random Final Doom map names, even if they're not actually that FD map) It's a city, somewhat similar to Doom 2's level 13. There's a fountain and a large square monolith near the center of town, and as you hit switches throughout the level, sections of the monolith come down, letting loose waves of monsters. There's a semi-cylindrical structure with three teleport pads on it, and a building with a walled-in pit full of plasma ammo, which, along with the monolith, are the parts I remember seeing before. The blue key is in a library, where if you go the wrong way through the rows of shelves, you get teleported back to the beginning of the maze, like the later castle levels in Super Mario Bros. You exit the level by going down into a subway station and starting up the train. Does this sound familiar to anyone?

Here's an overview map and some tiny screenshots, if it helps.

I'm quite likely to be mistaken (I haven't played it in years, and can't check right now), but that level might be from ASDoom 2.

Oh, I know that level. It's called Metro13 and it's by a guy named Micheal Reed. I recognize the subway area and that teleporter area.

If this wad has all this stolen content, why is it still on the /idgames archives?

Lizardcommando said:

If this wad has all this stolen content, why is it still on the /idgames archives?

Hmm, because it isn't?

Enjay said:

You weren't thinking of this were you?

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/index.php?id=4850

The megawads that are the subject of this thread are not in the archive as Grazza said. I think they may be on DoomWadStation.

No, the one I was thinking of was called D2Xtreme: Gold Edition or something. I think they might be the same thing expect with more sprite replacements or something.

Yeah, there's just Xtreme and then there's Xtreme Gold. Both have different levels, weapons and monsters.

And, after checking, both are on Doom WAD Station but I can't find either in the /idgames archive.

I always used to find these really neat before I found out they were wads filled with stolen resources and levels.
Oh well

TawmDee said:

I always used to find these really neat before I found out they were wads filled with stolen resources and levels.

The hell of it is, if the guy'd gotten permission to use everything and given credit where it was due, would it still have been so bad? It'd be like those old Playstation demo discs, except for Doom maps.