Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
40oz

Suicidal Music

I bought a new album by a thrashy skate punk band called "Bones Brigade" I listened to some of the samples amazon.com had to offer before I placed my order, and I found that it was pretty sweet. It was really fast paced and loud.

When I got the CD I couldnt help but unconciously turn up the volume while I was listening to it. The first 4 or 5 songs were absolutely amazing, reminding me of old Capitalist Casualties and Virus. The it started to go a little downhill from there. The songs started getting longer and slower paced. Having weak intros that sounded a little more like something like Metallica. (Which is a band I generally refuse to listen to) Once I got to the last song, I was pretty turned off by the CD. The intro was a recording, between a guy and a girl. It went like this:

Girl: Oh! It's beautiful! This really means something to me! I'll always treasure this! like, like a token!

Guy: ... No you won't. This is for the girl who loves me, The girl who cares about me for who I am... Not what I look like... I just wanted to let you know you'd be missing... You think I don't appreciate art, you dont think I understand fashion, You think im not hip, You think im pathetic... a nerd... You think im shit... Well youre wrong. You're shit and until the day you die... you. Not me. Will Always... be... shit.

then the song starts from there. It's kinda fast, but the lyrics were really self hating, saying things like "If I dont matter, why dont I die!? You don't care about me I see it in your eyes!!" It was a pretty big change for me, as almost all the music I listen to goes along the lines of "If something pisses you off, FIGHT BACK!" or "Stop caring about stupid shit!" which ultimately does wonders for my attitude. And this song is wondering why he's not dying. I can't stop listening to the album because the first songs are so awesome. But once I get to the slower emotional stuff, I'm immediately turned off.

Does anyone here listen to songs that sing about suicide and stuff? Even if it doesnt actually make you want to commit suicide, can you listen to it and get any entertainment value out of it? I used to be all about hating on emo kids last year, until I evantually layed off of that once it started to become apparent to me that there are little to no emo kids at all in my area. But still at this point suicidal music seems so useless. And that music I normally listen to never mentions suicide as a solution for anything. What do you think?

JohnnyRancid said:

Does anyone here listen to songs that sing about suicide and stuff?

There's that song on The Wall album of course, but that's it for me

Angsty emos can go suck it.

From your quote, that sample is from the wonderful film "Happiness".

Heh. I just recorded a whole album about suicide.

Of course it's not so much sad or "emo" as it is about dealing with the nagging idea of the pointlessness of existence.

There's really only 3(4 if you count the two part one as two songs) suicide related songs I listen to, being Metallica's "Fade to Black", Avenged Sevenfold's "I won't see you tonight"(2 parts) and Papa Roach's "Last Resort".

My musical exposure is pretty limited, but I will say that most suicidal music is pretty useless. Many people, when they're feeling depressed, choose to listen to music like this, which just emphasizes their bad feelings. That's unhealthy and dangerous.

Suicide is painless
It brings on many changes
and I can take or leave it if I please.

:P

Up got the swagman and jumped into the billabong
You'll never catch me alive, said he
And his ghost may be heard as you pass by that billabong
Who'll come a-Waltzing Matilda, with me? :P

Songs about suicide are for pussies. Instead, how about listening to music that makes you want to COMMIT suicide?

Bucket said:

Songs about suicide are for pussies. Instead, how about listening to music that makes you want to COMMIT suicide?

Like Bill Cosby's new cd? =P

Bucket said:

James Blunt - You're Beautiful

"Commit Suicide" by GG Allin is pretty fun.

"If you're listening to this song and everything is going wrong
Take a chance on the other side, let's go over the edge!
Fuck the pigs, fuck the folks, death is where it's at
Use a gun, use a knife, take some pills take your life
Slit your throat, slit your wrists, it's all over in the end
Fuck the pigs, fuck the folks, death is where it's at
Use a gun, use a knife, take some pills take your life"

I listen to a lot of music that could be construed as depressing, lyrically. Generally not stuff that's blatantly about suicide, though. Radiohead's "Prove Yourself" is the only song that really comes to mind right now that seriously looks at suicide.

Mid-era Sentenced managed to do a few albums with every song about suicide or dying without being very redundant. "Down" and "Frozen" were the 2 I liked. The earlier "Amok" and later "Cold White Light" are probably equally good, though in different enough ways that I don't enjoy them as much.

The best song about suicide I ever heard was "Is Suicide a Solution?" by Coil. It's basically just a real telephone message one of them received from someone telling them a friend had committed suicide, along with some typical Coil soundscapes. It also contains the backwards lyric "When the gods want to punish you they answer your prayers".

I hate music like that - the CD you describe sounds pretty intruiging as I'm a huge fan of 80's hardcore punk and thrash metal/crossover (which is mostly skater type music back then) and when I saw this thread I thought "SUICIDAL TENDENCIES!!!" but listening to them its not suicidal atall really, a bit more upbeat and awesome... check out the song "Possessed to Skate" on youtube... catchy as hell - and the Dead Kennedys - Police Truck.

I personally hate all music which is slow and depressing. It makes me want to punch myself in the face. Not because it's depressing, but as punishment for listening to such crap.

One of the most beautiful songs ever written, Asleep by The Smiths, is a bleak song about suicide. Don't try to wake me in the morning / For I will have gone.

Someone mentioned Suicide Is Painless by the Manics.

No Suprises by Radiohead, Billie Holliday's version of Gloomy Sunday and Lover, You Should've Come Over by Jeff Buckley come to mind also.

*thinks* Maybe I should make a mixtape...

It's funny how No Surprises is one of the most upbeat Radiohead songs on a musical level, but the lyrics are horribly depressing. Then on the flip-side, Exit Music (For a Film) is extremely downbeat but the lyrics are kind of happy.

Danarchy said:

It's funny how No Surprises is one of the most upbeat Radiohead songs on a musical level, but the lyrics are horribly depressing. Then on the flip-side, Exit Music (For a Film) is extremely downbeat but the lyrics are kind of happy.

I like that in a song. If you don't pay attention to the lyrics in No Surprises it could almost be mistaken for a nursery rhyme: Such a pretty house / And such a pretty garden.

The Beatles used the same trick. Eleanor Rigby for example. A song about a spinster who died and nobody cared.

Yeah, but that song actually sounds pretty sad. They did use that trick a few times though. For instance, Norwegian Wood is a pretty upbeat song, but it's about some guy who gets annoyed with a girl leaving after a night of fun so he burns her furniture. At least that's my interpretation.

Danarchy said:

Yeah, but that song actually sounds pretty sad.

I suppose the vocal harmonies are melancholy but, hearing the tune alone, I found it to be quite chipper. At least as upbeat as No Surprises anyway.

At least we agree that the concept is sound :)

I hardly care about text, and if the melody is crap too, what else to do than to dispose of it?

printz said:

I hardly care about text, and if the melody is crap too, what else to do than to dispose of it?

By text do you mean lyrics? Good lyrics always improve a song, poor lyrics usually ruin one. All my favourite artists write good lyrics.

Same here. Though I do listen to bands like Black Sabbath. Silly, silly Ozzy and his tenuous grasp on the English language.

I admit I do listen to "I'm depressed and I'd rather wallow in it" music and "I'm angry and I'd rather burn with it" music but only immediately. After a while I get annoyed by it and move on to music which is either just upbeat (to pull me out of a bad mood) or melancholy with an upbeat message, if that makes any sense. I guess I like music which embraces bad feelings to some extent but only to later let them go whether it be in the lyrics, the melody, the harmony, or just how my brain relates the song to my life (or a combination of all 3). A lot of music I like by association to my own life from when I remember liking it. A fun thing to do one day is archive, by season and year (or some other arbitrary time period) your music into playlists. I did this for all of highschool (from the best of my memory) and then generally middle/elementary school. Not only can you see trends but listening to a play list like say "Spring/Summer 10th Grade" can actually bring your mind back to a time period in an emotional sense...like I can't put into words how this is but each "chapter" of my life has one large emotion which is made of a mixture of small emotions.. it's almost like each one has a flavor but I can't describe it better than that. You just feel it though and associate it.. maybe its synthenasia or something to some extent. Either way, I feel these activities are much more emotionally substantial things to do with music, although on occasion wallowing with depressed music is therapeutic.