Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Whispers of Satan RELEASED!

Lizardcommando said:

It sounds like MAP22 is going to be totally epic. I can't wait to see it.

Kristian is making it and I can't wait to see it. I hope I don't have to wait for too much longer. My patience feels like its fading. :D

40oz said:

go post somewhere else.

Alright! Wish come true. Posting in the loser forum where he belongs.

40oz said:

Alright! Wish come true. Posting in the loser forum where he belongs.

Let him post. Whatever he gets, he simply gets.

UPDATE: Kristian states that Map22 almost there. Only a few more days to go. I'll post screenshots of Map22 on the WOS site and then the dirty work begins before release.

We started on this project exactly 3 years ago. Kristian made MAP02 first and the first map I created for WOS was MAP12. It was originally going to be MAP25 but after some thought on how the themes of the episodes were going to progress I moved it to MAP12. The project was unnamed for a couple of months until I came up with the name Whispers of Satan.

TIMELINE ON DEVELOPMENT

* September 2006, work begins on WOS

* End of 2006 about 7 maps are complete.

* At the end of October 2007 we had 14 of the 32 levels complete.

* By January 18, 2008, 18 of the 32 levels were finished after MAp16 was completed.

* Christmas Day 2008, 26 of the 32 levels were complete with maps 13,22,23,24,25 and 30 yet to be made.

* February 14, 2009 the project was within 4 levels of completion (22,23,24 and 25) after MAP13 and MAp30 were completed.

* April 16, 2009 - MAP25 completed

* April 28, 2009 - MAP32 completed

* June 13, 2009 - MAP24 completed

* July 19, 2009 - MAP23 completed

* July 20, 2009 work on MAP22 begins

* September 7 2009 - MAP22 completed

* October 1 2009 - LATEST POSSIBLE RELEASE DATE

This is great news! Just in time too, I get my main dooming computer back just a couple days before that.

I'll be prepared to know that some people will still criticize me thinking its a jokewad because (of my name and) of the tough time I had a few years ago. I suffered from depression and mental sickness a few years ago and I was frustrated with my personal life and didn't know what I was doing and released alot of unnecessary crap, the damage to my reputation was done back then. I almost gave up... but persisted to make a new megawad. Kristian actually came up with the idea when I came so close to quitting in 2006.

I have recently released the final edition of the Selfish Series. Go download it now. It now has all new music, mostly songs that were originally written for WOS (but not included in WOS, rejected) and slight changes to the maps. Relive the Selfish series once again.

http://www.doomworld.com/idgames/?id=15838

http://www.gamers.org/pub/idgames/levels/doom2/Ports/a-c/bselfish.zip

Because of the damage I did in the past and as expected there are comments that are still criticizing me. I don't want to be reminded of the Paul from 2005-2007. I'm no longer going to release any more jokewads or other rubbish to the archives. I've kept this promise for the last 2 years, people can spend the rest of their lives waiting for my next jokewad... it aint going to happen.

One of the comments is this: Some of PC's work is terrible. I remember one was trolling several members of the community (childishly because of poor reviews). This is not bad though, but I hope he spent more time on Whispers of Satan.

---

Yes I did get a bit silly back then... I think it was totally getting out of hand with everyone, authors like Glassyman, Terry and others. I apologize for what I did, but for me Doom is not a religion. Its a hobby. But that was my depression and mental sickness.... I was not right.... was very frustrated with my personal life. Things are so much better today because I'm so much more positive.

WOS will be almost certainly my final upload to the archives... and thats it! - The only maps I will continue to create are the occasional level or so for a Community related project. After WOS is done and dusted I will finish off my Community Chest 4 map (MAP19).

My next phase in life is working in the audio and visual industry and I've written some sound scapes (a bit like Playstation Doom Music) and have got sound editing to do for a TV documentary (here in Australia) next month after WOS is complete. This is an exciting opportunity for me and who knows where it could take me? I could be working on soundtracks for Hollywood movies one day, maybe if I was really lucky, heh.

Are there likely to be any maps in WOS that aren't serious/up to par, or did you make sure you put your real efforts into each and every map?

I'm only asking this because you said you had your disease into 2007, and some of these maps were made in/before 2007.

Do0minat0r said:

Are there likely to be any maps in WOS that aren't serious/up to par, or did you make sure you put your real efforts into each and every map?

I'm only asking this because you said you had your disease into 2007, and some of these maps were made in/before 2007.

They are all serious. The 2 secret maps are though quite different from the rest. The original MAP32 was more like a Jokewad but it was replaced with a serious map.

pcorf said:

They are all serious. The 2 secret maps are though quite different from the rest. The original MAP32 was more like a Jokewad but it was replaced with a serious map.

Good to know they are all serious (a jokemap as a secret level would be OK though).

Can you think of any (significant number of) maps in this that you don't think are up to your usual level of quality?

Anyway, I'm really looking forward to this. Especially if the answer to the above question is no. And I'm sure Kristian's maps are awesome.

Not to put pcorf down in any way (I really like his maps and music), but Kristian Aro is one of my top 5 favourite mappers of all time so I am sure there is a ton of quality in this wad.

Do0minat0r said:

Can you think of any (significant number of) maps in this that you don't think are up to your usual level of quality?

I spose the quality varies slightly from one to another but I can't think of anything terribly bad in this.

Just posting for the last progress report before going to a good and long sleep after working on the map for the last 5 hours straight.

The map layout is 99% with over 13000 linedefs. Tomorrow after I come home from work it'll be done after an hour of more work to it. Then just a little play-testing and it's all done! Then I'll send it for Paul who'll do the final tweaks to the resource wad. After that it's release time! :)

Erik said:

Not to put pcorf down in any way (I really like his maps and music), but Kristian Aro is one of my top 5 favourite mappers of all time so I am sure there is a ton of quality in this wad.

When I put "Kristian" into the search author section of the idgames archive I find multiple authors. Could you point out some specific work please?

Mike.Reiner said:

When I put "Kristian" into the search author section of the idgames archive I find multiple authors. Could you point out some specific work please?

We've worked on quite a few projects together.

Nebula-Kristian said:

Just posting for the last progress report before going to a good and long sleep after working on the map for the last 5 hours straight.

The map layout is 99% with over 13000 linedefs. Tomorrow after I come home from work it'll be done after an hour of more work to it. Then just a little play-testing and it's all done! Then I'll send it for Paul who'll do the final tweaks to the resource wad. After that it's release time! :)

I expect the map next week. Can't wait for it. Its sure gonna be a Goliath of a level just like a Baron is a Goliath and the worst thing since T-REX in the instruction manual.

MAP22 IS DONE. Now it's playtesting time! :) It became a big map with 13723 linedefs.

Release will be on Oct. 1st or before, it depends on how quickly we'll get the testing done. But oct. 1st at the latest.

This is excellent news. I'd say don't release it any earlier than Oct. 1, and use all that time until then to do proper testing and finishing touches.

Krispavera said:

This is excellent news. I'd say don't release it any earlier than Oct. 1, and use all that time until then to do proper testing and finishing touches.

Yep, quite a bit of work is still needed. Hopefully with a bit of luck it will be out just before October 1.

Great news. I hope of course I will be surprised. I see you didn't include sedna on your homepage. So it isn't popular nor one of your best. I don't think neither that is one of your best but I think it's definitely worth playing (especially I think for freaks who play a massive amount of wads (+ 5000).

Coldfusio said:

Great news. I hope of course I will be surprised. I see you didn't include sedna on your homepage. So it isn't popular nor one of your best. I don't think neither that is one of your best but I think it's definitely worth playing (especially I think for freaks who play a massive amount of wads (+ 5000).

Sedna1.wad a level originally made for Doom Millennium. So was Palace of Nemrac and level 5 of Bella.

WOS creeps closer to completion and the release is now looking more likely before October 1 which is great news!

I have playtested through the entire megawad in an older version of Prboom and fixed various bugs because there were a few bugs that did prevent 100% kills in Prboom but now this assures that 100% kills, items and secret are possible in Prboom as well as Zdoom. All intermission names, readme texts and MIDI music are working perfectly. The internal DEHACKED is also complete as well as the MAPINFO for Zdoom players.

I'm going to send the wad to Kristian for approval and so he can do any possible final touch ups and when I get it back its upload time.

Can't wait! Hope there are no major issues to delay the release!

@pcorf: As an advance note, I'd really appreciate it if in release day, you do a temporary upload to another site as /idgames can take many days to transfer a file from /incoming to /newstuff. If you'd be willing to do that, that would be appreciated tremendously.

this shall be fantastic! I'll be waiting steadfast much like others here! Thanks for a fine looking set!

Hooray! I can't wait to get my hands on this and play it for hours and hours :D. And if you guys need an extra download mirror, I will happily provide one.