Jump to content
Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
pcorf

Whispers of Satan RELEASED!

Recommended Posts

pcorf said:

Dweedles have to be patient for at least a few more weeks.



Weeks eh..?





Nice.

Share this post


Link to post
Abyssalstudios1 said:

WOW. That looks very nice. I'll be sure to grab a copy of this.


Please do NOT mention the word WOW :D

Trust me, this is nothing like wow.wad.

Share this post


Link to post

@9055 lines which means that it's getting closer... :) Only the grande finale of the map remains. Which means a nasty exit area with a couple of surprises. Then some gameplay work to do, too. :))


Now it's forum silence time (from my part) until the whole thing is done and tested. Oh, yeah and released. :DD

Share this post


Link to post
Krispavera said:

Yeah, quit posting and finish your map.


Lotsa Psytrance (a type of Techno Music that he DJ's likes to and compose) and work has slowed Kristian's progress down. This will be almost certainly his final map. Progress has been slow on Map22 since its a medium to largish map with tons of detail. I've seen some shots of it in DB and was impressed. Kristian is a man who demands perfection to detail and everything must be right to him, if its with Doom levels or Music. Once I receive MAP22 I will do the final touch ups to wos.wad and make sure everything is working correctly. (Sky transfers, Dehacked, Doors, Lifts etc)

The official release will be no later than October 1, 2009.

Share this post


Link to post
pcorf said:

Lotsa Psytrance (a type of Techno Music that he DJ's likes to and compose) and work has slowed Kristian's progress down. This will be almost certainly his final map. Progress has been slow on Map22 since its a medium to largish map with tons of detail. I've seen some shots of it in DB and was impressed. Kristian is a man who demands perfection to detail and everything must be right to him, if its with Doom levels or Music. Once I receive MAP22 I will do the final touch ups to wos.wad and make sure everything is working correctly. (Sky transfers, Dehacked, Doors, Lifts etc)

The official release will be no later than October 1, 2009.


Is there a testing phase then? J/W
Or is that date just because of the detail needed for the final map?

Share this post


Link to post
pcorf said:

The official release will be no later than October 1, 2009.


I recommend against setting a date for a project that doesn't have a big financial obligation behind it. This isn't some commercial video game.

Release it when you and the other members of the project feel it is ready.

Share this post


Link to post
DuckReconMajor said:

Then it'll never get done.

I'd rather have fewer map sets available but of higher quality than a sea of worthless shit, thank you very much.

Share this post


Link to post
DuckReconMajor said:

I'd like the talent of people who need a deadline to stay focused (but are otherwise brilliant creators) to not go unnoticed, thank you very much.

man fuck you, it's a mod with no financial obligation behind the dead line. Badgering pcorf and Kristian to release it asap shows that you have no clue about what goes into making good maps. what are you like, the EA company or something?

Share this post


Link to post

Well they've already done 31 maps with 1 map so close in being finished. Basically they have roughly one month of heavy testing (more than enough) so I'm pretty sure they will have a top notch quality stuff done way before 1st of October but having more time to work on it is better than rushing it. Good stuff Corfy and Kristian :-) Looking forward to your masterpiece of a megawad.

Share this post


Link to post
Doom Marine said:

man fuck you, it's a mod with no financial obligation behind the dead line. Badgering pcorf and Kristian to release it asap shows that you have no clue about what goes into making good maps. what are you like, the EA company or something?

Well if I was EA, I'd certainly have more money :)

I'm not pressuring them. I wasn't aware the deadline was something pressured on them, I thought they set it for themselves. I was simply refuting the statement that deadlines are a bad thing. Since you probably won't listen to me, let me quote the advice of someone who made a wad you may have played

Quote:
This project took me six weeks to complete. I happened to have that much free time work on it, and no more, so I had one resource that most TCs lack and which they decidedly need: a deadline. The single most time-consuming issue was the learning curve, from which I have developed my two Laws of Level Building:

Sam's Law (1): It takes three times as long to learn to do a thing as it does to do it once you've learned it.

Sam's Law (2): It's better to have a moderately cool project that is complete than to have a super-cool project that is not complete.

Again, I agree that sacrificing quality to release it early is a bad thing. However, with the project almost done, if they feel they need a deadline to help them get everything wrapped up nicely, there's no need to criticize them for it.

Share this post


Link to post
Joshy said:

Well they've already done 31 maps with 1 map so close in being finished. Basically they have roughly one month of heavy testing (more than enough) so I'm pretty sure they will have a top notch quality stuff done way before 1st of October but having more time to work on it is better than rushing it. Good stuff Corfy and Kristian :-) Looking forward to your masterpiece of a megawad.


Map22 has been in progress for 6 weeks and its a fairly large level. I'm not sure of its progress. Had a chat to Kristian last Friday and he claimed it was about 80-85% done and said he was going to work on the final area eventually.

There will be 3 to 4 weeks of testing to make sure that everything is working perfectly. I also have some sky transfers to do with some of the maps.

* Making sure you can get 100/100/100% in Prboom. (kills/items/secret)
* Making sure that all things work properly in Prboom. Sky transfers, Doors, Lifts ect.
* Making sure that all the music sounds perfectly. Music was written for the Roland Sound Canvas sounds.
* Putting storylines into the internal BEX/Dehacked.

Share this post


Link to post
Doom Marine said:

man fuck you, it's a mod with no financial obligation behind the dead line. Badgering pcorf and Kristian to release it asap shows that you have no clue about what goes into making good maps. what are you like, the EA company or something?

I agree with you... except I think making "good" maps has nothing to do with how long they took to make. Adding detail is a complete waste of time when it changes nothing about the gameplay (in my opinion as a mapper who adds detail even though I think it's a waste of time).

Share this post


Link to post
TimeOfDeath said:

I agree with you... except I think making "good" maps has nothing to do with how long they took to make. Adding detail is a complete waste of time when it changes nothing about the gameplay (in my opinion as a mapper who adds detail even though I think it's a waste of time).

Check your reading comprehension there, nobody said anything about details but you.

You're probably talking about detailing during the end phase of testing the map in this case?

When Mike and I go through the play testing process after the physical level is laid down, it often takes at least half a dozen run per level evaluating the monster placement, supplies provided, cooperative logic, and tweaking the flow.

The point of gametesting is to test the dynamics of the level, NOT to get hung up on lowly tasks like adding more details, which was already done throughout the physical mapping process.

That being said, it's obvious that we're talking on completely different levels here, unless you're intentionally going off on a tangent, I don't believe what you're saying is relevant to any arguments in here.

Share this post


Link to post
David_Dweedle said:

ugh.. was hopeing to see a " Download Whispers of Satan Here " Link...


Can't you just be patient and wait like everyone else?

Share this post


Link to post
Lizardcommando said:

Can't you just be patient and wait like everyone else?


No.

Release it now then release a patch a month later to fix all the glareing probs

Share this post


Link to post
David_Dweedle said:

No.

Release it now then release a patch a month later to fix all the glareing probs

You sure seem demanding for someone who've just registered three months ago. Do you ever check for rocks before diving in?

Share this post


Link to post
Doom Marine said:

You sure seem demanding for someone who've just registered three months ago. Do you ever check for rocks before diving in?


Im not that easily baited. Try harder.

Share this post


Link to post
David_Dweedle said:

No.

Release it now then release a patch a month later to fix all the glareing probs


and they call me an idiot.

Share this post


Link to post

Kristian stated to me that he is up to the 12,000 linedef mark for MAP22. He promised me not to make a big level and winds up making a god damned huge level (detail wise). That's Kristian for you... once he starts he just keeps on going until he drops and sends me his masterpiece of mapping!

WOS is sure worth the wait guys! - Only 4 more weeks to go.

Share this post


Link to post
David_Dweedle said:

ugh.. was hopeing to see a " Download Whispers of Satan Here " Link...

David_Dweedle said:

No.

Release it now then release a patch a month later to fix all the glareing probs

David_Dweedle said:

Profesional game devs do it all the time.

These guys are working on a free map project for all of us to enjoy when it is ready. They have set a dead line and are confident they will reach it, yet you.. you bitch and fucking moan that it isn't here yet.

Have some respect, you little shit.

Nobody here who makes maps for doom is getting paid for it, they do it out of their love for the game. Don't you even dare compare them to game developers who have to work on strict dead lines regardless of whether their project is ready for it or not.

Share this post


Link to post
David_Dweedle said:

Profesional game devs do it all the time.


Learn to spell. It just might make you look less retarded if you stop acting like a complete jack ass too.

Share this post


Link to post
pcorf said:

Kristian stated to me that he is up to the 12,000 linedef mark for MAP22. He promised me not to make a big level and winds up making a god damned huge level (detail wise). That's Kristian for you... once he starts he just keeps on going until he drops and sends me his masterpiece of mapping!

WOS is sure worth the wait guys! - Only 4 more weeks to go.


It sounds like MAP22 is going to be totally epic. I can't wait to see it.

Share this post


Link to post
David_Dweedle said:

No.

Release it now then release a patch a month later to fix all the glareing probs

Grrr, these people want to take a bit longer to produce a quality product instead of releasing a buggy, possibly incomplete one and band-aiding over it later! I AM SO ANGRY AND MUST HAVE MY VIDEO GAME LEVELS THAT SOMEONE IS MAKING FOR FREE RIGHT NOW!
Also I have trouble spelling or using proper punctuation.

Share this post


Link to post
Guest
This topic is now closed to further replies.
×