Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
CyberMonsterDude

Whats better - Psx or pc version of doom and why?

I say pc because the maps are complete, and the sounds are smoother and more unique.

32X. FTW.

Seriously, if I had to pick myself I'd say the PSX version. The music change almost completely leans me towards that decision. Not having rock music to pump you up really sucks (does that count with the 32X version too?).

The PSX version sure has its strength: Most noticeable colored lights, and some exclusive maps. And the ambient soundtrack sure has its right to exist es well, which is a matter of taste, though. (I prefer the Robert Price MIDI's)

I'd vote for the PC version, though, as it has many features the PSX version is missing: All maps included and unmodified, 35 fps, mouse input, more enemies, and the engine is open source, which makes even much more features available.
And most important, there are tons of 3rd party mods available (including an accurate remake of the PSX game).

Vegeta said:

and the sounds are smoother and more unique.

I doubt that, as most of the sounds are taken from sound archives many companies have access to. Those include the Imp dying sound (a camel), fireballs and the doors, which you probably heard many times in different games, movies etc..

PC Hands down. You could just play a PSX Doom mod if you wanted all the things that PSX Doom has.

If you are talking about vanilla doom with no extra levels or mods then PSX doom. You just can't top it for atmosphere.

Also the PC plasma rifle sound seriously sucks.

I'm with the Gameboy!

Easier to carry around. 'Nuff said.

PC version - it's complete. The reference point.
PSX is nice but the lack of enemies/levels makes it inferior. It's an interesting improvisation nonetheless.

LogicDeLuxe said:

I doubt that, as most of the sounds are taken from sound archives many companies have access to. Those include the Imp dying sound (a camel), fireballs and the doors, which you probably heard many times in different games, movies etc..

I was talking about that in the PSX version all monsters sound more or less the same, and all the other sounds are less memorable.

By the defaults, I like the PSX version better. However, you can use PSX sounds, music, and maps in the PC version; therefor, I like the PC version better.

myk said:

I'm with the Gameboy!

Easier to carry around. 'Nuff said.

If it is for mobility, try the GP2X and play Prboom on it. Music is Timidity, which is not exactly Soundcanvas, but with a decent sample set, sounds still better than most consoles, and certainly better than OPL sound. Also in contrast to most console versions, you have an accurate port.
While Prboom is limit removing, you shouldn't expect maps relying on this to be very fast on the GP2X, though. The speed of this port is comparable to a 80486 PC.

I like them both for different reasons, myself. Couldn't really pick one over the other.

If someone could give me PC Doom, with the colored lighting, sound effects and music from PSX Doom, then that would be my favorite version. BTW, I know how to import the music and sound effects into PC Doom, before anyone says anything, but without the colored lighting, it just doesn't feel right. Doing the colored lighting would be the tedious part.

The only reason I would turn down the psx version every time over the pc is because of the choppy framerates. Now playing Doom with a gamepad is fine but when you combine the abstract feel of a pad with the slowdown it feels awkward compared to the PC and annoys the hell out of me.

DeumReaper said:

The only reason I would turn down the psx version every time over the pc is because of the choppy framerates. Now playing Doom with a gamepad is fine but when you combine the abstract feel of a pad with the slowdown it feels awkward compared to the PC and annoys the hell out of me.

controls are the reason #1 why i prefer pc doom by far. psx doom has colored lighting (which vanilla doom lacks) and its sounds and music make a better atmosphere imo. i could enjoy it with mouse+keys, but using a pad just freaks you out when you're used _much_ more responsive controls.

PC
Full levels.
Better sounds. :P
More features.
Varied music.
More enemies.
Proper controls.

PSX
Chopped down levels with simplified architecture.
Horribly "mushy" sounds that are contrived to be scary by making them sound all "echoey and creepy" making every level sound like it is set in a giant metal room.
Interesting, atmospheric music that, unfortunately, starts to blend into one indistinguishable dirge after a while.
Less features.
Less enemies.
Coloured lighting that has been applied with a logic of "make sure nearly every sector has some colour regardless of whether there is a reason for it or not".
Pad control.

PC definitely. The PSX version is good and has some stuff that I like. It's one of the best (if not the best) console ports IMO. But a lot of those good features are badly implemented or just a bit crass or OTT and not enough to outweigh the limitations imposed by the system or to raise the game above the PC version.

i prefer the psx version, unlike pc it has a 16bit quality. pc is just 8bit don't get me wrong i only think that psx is the best FTW!!

PC DOOM was 8 bit? It looked to me like there were too many colours. I don' think it was, but what do I know?

I prefer PC DOOM, purely for the fact that the music gets me ready to blast the shit out of the enemies. Whenever I come across a level with an ambient track, I'll idmus to one of the more 'adrenaline-pumping' tracks.

PSX DOOM was awesome, but they could've tried not to repeat the music as much. Obviously there's a limit, but it wouldn't have killed them to knock up a few more tracks to stick in there. The ambient music was refreshing, but it's only good for so long. You can't really listen to it. There's no melody (obviously), so I can't enjoy listening to it as it all seems rather random.

Yeah, PC Doom only had 8-bit graphics. That's why when you make Doom textures you have to use it's color palette. Well, unless you make it for a OpenGL engine like GZDoom or Doomsday. There you get upgraded to 32-bit, so you can use whatever colors you want.

DeumReaper said:

The only reason I would turn down the psx version every time over the pc is because of the choppy framerates.

Eh? o_O You would have hated playing Doom back when it was originally released then, I can tell you that. Either that, or something is wrong with your PSX. :p

Thank you for the information.

But the PSX version is actually quite choppy. I still have DOS 5 (after all this time?), and when I play vanilla DOOM on that, the framerate is a little smoother than the PSX's.

PSX version was trash. The sounds and music were awesome, but I think it was better portrayed through Doom 64 than the traditional doom levels. And playing the traditional doom levels with colored lighting was very weird. Again I'll compare that to Doom64, in that PSX Doom used mostly original doom textures (with some modified ones) and traditional doom textures already had predefined color schemes, unlike Doom64, which uses textures that are almost entirely a grayish pinkish color, though never gets repetitive because of the frequent changes of room color throughout the game.

The PSX version was simply regular Doom with some experimental themes. Even though I think those themes were what John Romero and Tom Hall were intentionally aiming for, it was really quite bizzare to be honest. Doom64 reached that perfect atmosphere though

EDIT: I'd also like to say that I am very releived that the XBOX360 live arcade version of doom is a replica of the computer version and not the PSX version. Of course with few minimal features that are hardly noticable, that of which are the varying pitch in sounds is the only feature that comes to mind.

it seems like the new wave of members tend to enjoy getting losered or banned.

anyways, i started out playing the psx version of doom, i still have it too. its fun. i play the pc version mainly because i can mod for it, and im not smart enough to make levels for the psx version.

both are different versions of doom, so im not going to make a statement claiming whats better.

Enjay have said what I think, he should definitely have 'ask me about... /psx doom' added in his custom rank :P

PC Doom for the obvious reasons. PSX Doom had it's cool features, but I pretty much think Doom 64 is the best console version of Doom around.

In addition to what Enjay said another thing that pissed me off about Psx Doom: It's too damned dark and from what I can remember it has no gamma correction.

PC version. PC + source ports + endless custom .wads. And the fact that you can queue up any sound track you want in winamp and listen to that, including the psx sound track. And if you've got a video card that can hook up to your teevee, you've won good sir. As far as pure doom games, without any enhancements, I would actually take doom 64. Same game, great graphics, new levels, and the soundtrack is amazingly creepy.

Jello said:

PAs far as pure doom games, without any enhancements, I would actually take doom 64. Same game, great graphics, new levels, and the soundtrack is amazingly creepy.

As much as i love Doom 64 i think the level design and gameplay are worse that that in the PC version. Some of the levels look bland and eyesore. And the sounds the enemy's make sound rather repeative.