Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BigBearBurp

any other ports for Mac X?

Okay, I know about Doom Legacy and Doomsday, but that's it. No ZDoom,no ZDaemon, no Risen. Okay, maybe there's PrBoom, but that's it....

I got a taste of ZBlood, a port of Blood that ran on ZDoom, well, sort of...the mac version wasn't that good-no sound at all :(

so, any info on ports or tc's or any doom levels welcomed.

Please xcuse my dust, I'm using an old G4 to post--my other computer is gone

John B

Heh. Yeah, that's very outdated.

Ports with native Mac binaries available for download (that I'm aware of, at least) are PrBoom, PrBoom-Plus, Odamex, Doomsday Engine, and Legacy. Chocolate Doom can be compiled for Mac, and Eternity Engine probably can be. ZDoom is apparently tricky to compile for PPC due to a number of different reasons, though I imagine it could probably be compiled to run on an x86 Mac without too much difficulty.

yeah, I looked at chocolate Doom and well..not super impressed. I like the look of Doomsday, but it has certain HOM issues and it can't run Batman Doom that well :( PrBoom works too, but you have to mess with it, and tell it where the wad is and a bunch of stuff....maybe zdoom could be compiled for old Macs, but I won't be worrying about that anymore...

what I'm saying is that I'd prefer tailor-made rather than rolling my own, so to speak.....

B B B

BigBearBurp said:

yeah, I looked at chocolate Doom and well..not super impressed.

Not impressed? NOT IMPRESSED?! New-school wussy.

320x200 is so stone age that no, I'm not impressed either. A vanilla compatible port that can run in high resolution - that would be a different matter! :P

Even Doom95 could do 640x480 and that was 13 years ago!

Graf Zahl said:

320x200 is so stone age that no, I'm not impressed either. A vanilla compatible port that can run in high resolution - that would be a different matter! :P

Eternity with all the default settings except the resolution? :P

Actually, PrBoom is more compatible as it can record demos and all.

Graf Zahl said:
320x200 is so stone age that no, I'm not impressed either.

Well, if you were, you would have quit working on GZDoom a long time ago... or else would have made it a fork of ZDoom that instead removes high resolutions, or something. One that leaves all user-side customization alone and concentrates solely on editing features and Doom compatibility, for example... not a bad idea, actually.

exp(x) said:

Not impressed? NOT IMPRESSED?! New-school wussy.

I'm sure that if you take the base of chocolate doom (which would be a very good thing to do) and add higher resolution support and new editing features, you could come up with an awesome port! I say we call it Chocolate-Boom.

Csonicgo said:
Chocolate-Boom.

Boom precisely loses a lot of Doom's finer characteristics. I'm sure nowadays a competent coder could add similar editing features, and more (even scripting and such), with more care in sustaining the feel of the original engine, though. Mint Chocolate Chip Doom? Chocolate Boom would be a fitting name for a more portable PrBoom v2.02, in any case.

Anyway, the funny thing is that the default ice cream taste isn't vanilla, it's just plain ice cream, which tastes more or less like cream or milk.

myk said:

Anyway, the funny thing is that the default ice cream taste isn't vanilla, it's just plain ice cream, which tastes more or less like cream or milk.

Yeah, but where the hell can you find unflavored ice cream?

exp(x) said:
Yeah, but where the hell can you find unflavored ice cream?

Most vanilla ice cream is relatively unflavored; it may have some vanilla essence but it mostly tastes like sweet cream. If I'm not mistaken, the vanilla ice cream that really has an evident vanilla flavor is called "French vanilla" in the US. It's yellowish instead of white. Over here "vainilla" is used for the yellowish type, while the plain white one is called "crema americana".

How many source ports have started as a more-or-less straight port of Doom with a focus on compatibility before finally breaking compatibility and getting carried away with extra features? Maybe I'm wrong, but I bet it's a lot.

I think Chocolate Doom is fine the way it is. If I want higher resolution then I'll use PrBoom. Chocolate Doom is the pure experience.