Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
Sign in to follow this  
gggmork

made a doom2 level

Works fine in zdoom, lags bad in prboom for me. The beginning is hitscan hell; hard but mostly lower class enemies and I at least find it fun and skill honing to take random paths. I don't have much patience when making levels, so do things like use 16 pixel high steps as main textures just to avoid aligning, use asymmetrical copy/ paste a lot and make only 1 difficulty (uv).

http://www.sendspace.com/file/2vdaeq

I tried your level and I must admit it was too much for me, especially in UV. Every path seemed to lead to more trouble. Although it was fun at times not having a minute to catch my breath, I found I was chasing medkits, whilst take pot-shots at hit-scanners along the way, hoping for in-fighting to take care of the rest.

Maybe other Doomers are more partial to this style of gameplay but ultimately I found it frustrating.

I did try playing at a lower (and the lowest) skill levels just to see more of the level but it would be unfair to comment on these run-throughs since you didn't intend your map to be played on these settings.

Thanks for the feedback. I usually die myself but the chaos makes restarting non repetitive. Eevery thing is tagged for uv only, so probably all difficulties play as if uv. It can be easier if you aim for barrels, possibly use berzerks on the hell knights and wake up as few deaf (ambush) enemies as possible at a time (though in that case you can run out of ammo if staying in one place). Most of the ground enemies come from the same central spots starting deaf, so it can help to take them all out at once if possible. Also, pillars that act as shelter from one direction can have dangerous chaingunners on top from another direction.

I just played Canary Squadron. I like the originality of the levels and the berzerk/chainsaw dominant gameplay on some levels (first time I've seen invisible imps; they make much better gameplay than invisible demons and should be doom's default)

What? Hardly anyones's commented on this. D= That makes me sad, so I'll fix that. I rather liked this map. I tend to be drawn to anything described as difficult, since, as gggmonk said, fun yet hard maps are tough to come by. Thanks for contributing to the solution gggmonk =).

I didn't think it was *THAT* hard. So long as you don't die in the first half-minute, you're probably good to go. Even if you mess up later on and get nailed by a tracer or something, there's plenty of health for that. I liked the constant action. The only thing that bothered me gameplay-wise was that the acrhies can resurrect the stationary monsters on the far corners of the map, and if you get to the exit w/o 100% kills, you have to hunt the whole map to find a zombieman it revived =(; then again, I don't know what you'd do about that though... =S Also, there were a few texture misalignments and doorframes that need to be lower unpegged. Come now, gggmonk, it can't be that much trouble, can it =P.

Anyway, I think this would be a sweet demo-running map. This demo here isn't lightning fast or anything, but it demonstrates a strategy for a successful UV max: http://files.filefront.com/DDgggEP1lmp/;10117297;/fileinfo.html, [Edit] recorded using Zdoom V2.2, sorry typo =P.

Seeing this map available made today a fun day for me.

it was a challenge the first time, especially since it was hitscan central right off the bat. not bad, i remember playing one of your earlier maps that was also pretty hard and HR styled in terms of gameplay.

That was quite fun to watch (that demo is for version 2.2, not 1.2 btw). I didn't intend for the gameplay to be that methodological, heh heh (maybe too many deaf enemies). I normally was purposely waking up lots of deaf enemies and go randomish directions just to keep it entertaining/unpredictable/chaotic (like in doom2's 'refueling base'). The sporadic pasting didn't stop you from knowing exactly where you were at all times, and you found my 1 secret lol. If you want more spam, I made this level earlier which is a lot harder:
http://www.sendspace.com/file/9r4thp
I think that one's only for zdoom. Mostly got bad reviews, especially visually but I think its fun to play and more chaotic since nobody's deaf. The faster you do it the harder it is and I still havn't beat it yet but got close (jodwin did).
Also my alias is indeed gggmonk (the k just overlaps the n).
Try eaxt wad if you havn't, it suits your skill.

It didn't lag with prboom plus but I found the hard way out that you can't lower the platforms which is needed (ex:keys).
Apart from that I liked it, the start was challenging until I found out about the berserks. The first part (till you get the yellow card) was too long in my opinion. A paste less and it would become less repetitive. It's much better then your previous map thanks to the improved visuals.

Coldfusio said:

It didn't lag with prboom plus but I found the hard way out that you can't lower the platforms which is needed (ex:keys).

This will all be because of the compatibility settings that are chosen (including lack of slowdown, which was probably due to MBF monster AI). Simply using the defaults won't always be appropriate, as the program can't know what the mapper intended. Some maps require one behaviour; some only work with another.

Perhaps it requires Boom behaviour? (A fair guess from what you've said.) It should say in the text-file (I haven't dowmloaded, since I can't be bothered with these services that make you jump through hoops just to download a file). The easiest way to enforce Boom behaviour is by setting the complevel to 9.

Coldfusio said:

can't lower the platforms

Erg, sorry. I made this map in doombuilder:boom which played with lag for me. I tried pasting the whole map into a new doombuilder:doom2 map, which still lagged, so I just left it as a boom version.
I only drag/drop wads into prboom or zdoom without hassling with start/run commands. If it didn't lag for you, maybe you had the right compatibility settings and I didn't (but seems if you had the right settings the floors should have lowered).
Maybe I should just stick to doombuilder:zdoom maps (I love zdoom but wish demos would work in all versions). Also seems recording zdoom 2.2 demos now start the level before you even see anything, so you can get hit at the beginning before you even start.

gggmork said:

I just played Canary Squadron.

Thanks gggmork - that made my day. I'm glad you enjoyed it.