Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
duvel

Heretic: Treasure Chest - PLEASE FILL IN SLOTS!

That looks nice. :)

My map is almost done, i'm in the middle of item placement now.

As for E2M9's (Possible) re-vamp, slight delay, maybe i'll look back into it later.

Reminder: Update Call week is this week! So everyone report in so I know you're still working on your maps.

KingofFlames said:

Do my screenshots count as my update? :)

Yeah, of course. If you show anything of your map during an update call [unless you're trying to do something like show one old screenshot several times or something like that] it clears you.

Sorry for doubble post but when is the deadline for the project im just wondering as i do alot of work on other things.

We don't have a static deadline, but I'd like to be done with it by December of this year. It's looking like that might happen, too.

I've ridden this update call as far as I can take it. Here's what's come of another month's .

PICTURES
[01] [02] [03]

These rooms are very incomplete, yet functional. [???]

Please feel free to indulge any desire to input the hell out of them anyway. I'm all about the input.

Those shots are little hard to see, but I'm expecting a good finished product after all the detail and lighting and things are in there.

Hey, Update Week is done. Not so good job on everyone not updating. Come on, we're almost through!

Anyone just looking at the thread, I urge you to put your name in a slot and make a map.

HeEy, please don't delete my Slot! My map is almost done, I'm just searching for someone to test it, but nobody seemed to be really interested... :/ So please, before you delete my name, I need someone to test it, or I wont be sure if it is good enough to post it here in the community!

@Remiel: Nice shots...very incomplete though :) Obviously you said that so it's not a big deal.

I don't know if I like the textures though...it's fairly common in heretic to have textures that don't tile quite well over huge walls, but I wonder if you could change the gray rock to a different one? It just looks so repetitive despite the color change. Otherwise, looks like some good battlegrounds.

@Fenris: I will play your map, but you should upload it anyway. Why have one person rip your wad up if you can have all of us do it?

Speaking of textures that tile poorly over large surfaces, have you guys considered importing some nice non-Heretic rock textures into the resource wad? I think I may have suggested this a while back, actually...the only reason there aren't any in the resource wad already is because I was intent on making a 100% Heretic-based wad just to see what I could get out of its resources.

If you're including Kaiser's map, I think that one already includes some rocks from Hexen, anyway, so it wouldn't be unprecedented...

@Fenris: I said I would test your map awhile back and I did send a PM back to you about it, but I havent gotten anything from you yet.

It's a pain in the butt to email maps anyway. Post a link and someone will download it and play it.

There are a couple of okay rock textures in the resource wad - I don't know if they are just color variations of a heretic texture, but I used them in e2m5 - they are very wide and tall (I think 256 x 128 or something). Regardless, you can always combat repetitive textures by adding lots of detail :P

Still working, btw. I have one map almost done and the second already started :P

esselfortium said:

Speaking of textures that tile poorly over large surfaces, have you guys considered importing some nice non-Heretic rock textures into the resource wad? I think I may have suggested this a while back, actually...the only reason there aren't any in the resource wad already is because I was intent on making a 100% Heretic-based wad just to see what I could get out of its resources.

If you're including Kaiser's map, I think that one already includes some rocks from Hexen, anyway, so it wouldn't be unprecedented...

Perhaps it would be easiest if we give each mapper personal responsibility on finding extra textures that they need. I may look into more rock textures for my map, though. Where should I look besides Hexen?

Hey, fenris, just send it over or whatever. I won't erase your name until there's three @s and you miss another thing anyway. I'll put it up for everyone to test, or you can just send it to whoever you want to test individually.

I'd say upload it to Zshare then post a link to it in this forum (or a PM to ler if you prefer) to be tested. Zshare also gives you a delete link so you can easily get rid of the file and prevent any one else from getting it later.

So here we go...

E4M6 - THE TEMPLE OF THE ELEMENTS

[Temporaly not downloadable cause of bug fixing]

NOTE:
This is my first map so please be nice and try to give constructive critic. I hope you won't say: "This is so bad, is this a joke?", cause it's not. I only tried to do something nice and I know too that I'm not the master of mapping...

Fenriswolf said:
I only tried to do something nice and I know too that I'm not the master of mapping... [/B]

Too bad... :( ...I hoped you were the "master of puppets"! =P Sorry... bad joke. ;)
Joking aside, I've downloaded your map: I'll test it as soon as possible and let you know what I think.

By the way, I think I could test completed maps and send you feedback.

First of all, please don't ever name your wad "e4m6 - bla bla bla bla bla." You should already be in the habit of using 8-letter names anyway :P

Second of all, the map is completely, utterly broken. I don't know how you managed to play it...did you try? Because zdoom refused to load the level at all.

Your problem is that you have unclosed sectors out the wazoo. After running an error check in doombuilder it found something like 35 of them. I just want to know how you completed so much of the map this way. It looked like you had several areas with some detail and suchlike. But they're all wrong. I'm guessing these sectors are from incorrect linedef references, so you'll have to go through and fix these...apparently a taxing thing to do, considering you've already built the whole map.

I'm sorry, but the only testing I can do is that it doesn't work at all.

Thats weird, cause the map worked fine when I tested it... But I will have a look over it and reupload it...

EDIT:
I tried it with zDoom now and had the same probem, just like you. In the past, I always tested the map with Skulltag and thought if it works with skulltag, it has to work with other ZDoom programs, too.
If you have Skulltag, you should be able to test it.
But of I'll try to make it compatible for ZDoom now, too.

Indeed, there are a few unclosed sectors in the map that will cause graphical glitches in software based ports like ZDoom. But it run's without error in the port for me.

There are two Doom Builder 3d start things in the map that some ports may not like (some ports don't run maps with unknown things).

The barrels in sector 86 need moving back against the wall, otherwise you can got stuck behind them. Sector 108 has a stuck Undead Warrior.

Similarilly, quite alot of your wall torches are also stuck in the wall. They need to be a couple of units away from the wall to display properly.

Finally, Heretic's ambient sound things randomly play a sound at full volume. They aren't point based as how you've used them.

8 is the maximum amount of ambient sounds supported by vanilla Heretic and some port's. Though you can give an ambient sound a higher chance of playing by making more of the 8 the same type.

That said, it is a very impressive looking and playing map in both ZDoom and Doomsday. Interestingly GZdoom's fog actually has a negative effect on the maps atmosphere by brightening everything. The use of yellow as a primary color was very creative as was the general non-linearity.

I would reduce the amount of arrows in the green and blue key areas a bit though and replace them with some claw orbs and hell staff runes, just in case the player doesn't start with the yellow key area.

Hello!
Yeah, I tried it again and the map worked fine with GzDoom. The only reason why I hought it didn't work was that I forgot to start the resource.wad... ;)

Maybe magicsofa did, too?

I didnt know thode sings about ambient sounds and torches, I never read a tutorial of DoomBuilder, so I dont know these details, sorry, but I will work on it...

What do you mean by "ZDooms fog"?

All in all, I was really glad reading your review and your constructice tips. Thank you, Vermil! I will work on those things tomorrow and reupload the map....

Crap...I forgot about resource wad...although usually zdoom can just display blank textures. When I tried loading the map it would just freeze at the console (I had to just shut it down), so I don't know why it actually did so.